Drawer slides... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry Q
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Newbie but oldie

View Rider351's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer slides...

OK, dumb question, Is there some simple way to do drawer slides..making a simple under the workbench set of drawers and keep screwing up the sliders for the drawers.....HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2019, 03:11 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer slides...

I assume the problem you are having is mounting the sliders to the side of the case, not the drawers.

I find the easiest way is using a scrap wood spacer. I start at the top so if I make a mistake somewhere it isnít carried or transferred to other sliders.

Cut a spacer that places the slider where you need it for the top drawer. Make sure that the spacer is wide enough it provides support for the entire slide. Place the slider on the spacer and screw in place. Move the spacer to the other side and mount that slider. Now both sliders are parallel and level.

Work your way down, cutting the spacer piece to fit.
subroc likes this.

Last edited by Terry Q; 12-27-2019 at 03:13 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't built or put in a lot of drawers. A handful of times. You need to make a jig or spacer to keep them aligned. The box has to be square. The space has to be parallel. You need correct measurements.

In this case, what is wrong or what went wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2019, 08:48 PM

View B Coll's Photo Album My Photos
For workbench drawers I find ir easiest to cut parallel 3/4"w x 3/8" deep dadoes on the drawer box sides. On the inside of the cabinet box simply mount the slightly undersized runners and wax them. Use space blocks to align.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Newbie but oldie

View Rider351's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Gang..I ended up figuring out the spacers on the side piece. Fine that mounts. - then to mount the slide piece on the drawer itself and make sure it is aligned. I have the Kreg Slider Jig but it is not mapping well to this task

I will get this with the next drawer project..Thanks for the help//Happy New Decade

T
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg drawers - 1.jpeg (211.3 KB, 31 views)
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2019, 09:54 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Have you heard of drawer tape? It is sticky on one side and smooth plastic on the other. It won't help you with alignment, but it may help with sticky drawers, if there is enough space. Your drawers look tight.

It is not "friction free" but it is smooth. It comes in 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. Since they are the same price, I decided to buy the 3/4 inch size; I can trim it to 1/2 inch or another width if needed. I have used it in a few places where there is wood-wood contact that moves, sometimes serving as a gap filler too. Anyway, here it is, in case it helps:

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape
JamesTinKS and Rider351 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode