Drawer slide self stops - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrRobert
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer slide self stops

Does anyone know if this style of slide will stop without a drawer front meeting a face frame when pushed in?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,765
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
It has no choice but to stop...
Rebelwork is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
furnacefighter15 (07-05-2020)
post #3 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent. I want to install a rail at 2 to 3 intervals in a pantry cabinet to have adjustable position pullout drawers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 616
View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Dave,

Those type slide are 3/4 extension.

Full extension ball bearing slides might be something to consider ;-)
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Robert
DrRobert is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,390
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
As far as I know those type of slides do not come in full extension. I once used some of those like you show because I got them free. They were not worth the price I paid. I should have known that full extension is the only way to go.


I do not understand the context of your first question. Any drawer slide is going to stop when it gets to the limit of its manufactured design.


What kind of "rails" are you talking about in your second post and what do they have to do with drawer slides?


George
GeorgeC is online now  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,765
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
George.... those drawer guides have been used in kitchen since I started putting them in kitchen in the 90's. There by no means junk. I've used them in rollouts for pantries with no problems. I have them in my kitchen and the house was built in 1999.

I have KV full extension slides in a dresser I built in around 2005. The bearing have fallen out or falling out of several. Yet the kitchen drawer slides you say are junk are still holding up fine.....

You mentioned you got them for free, yet you say they where not worth what you payed for them.. might want to look at that statement..

In commercial it's almost always full extension or metabox for banks, hospitals, etc. But those same shops use the 3/4 extension drawer guides in residential and there generally knockoffs rather than Blum...

Last edited by Rebelwork; 07-06-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Rebelwork is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
As far as I know those type of slides do not come in full extension. I once used some of those like you show because I got them free. They were not worth the price I paid. I should have known that full extension is the only way to go.


I do not understand the context of your first question. Any drawer slide is going to stop when it gets to the limit of its manufactured design.


What kind of "rails" are you talking about in your second post and what do they have to do with drawer slides?


George

The concept is to make say 5 or 6 drawers. Which Im pretty much done with.

Mount the drawer part of the slides to the drawers, but mount say 10 receiver rails in the cabinet at 3 or 4 inch intervals.

That way, should I need a taller drawer this week, but not always, simply move the drawer up or down to the next set of rails in the pantry cabinet.

Just like how shelves will have adjustable height locations, I want the same with drawer locations without having to physically mount anything after the first build out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,765
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Angry

Here's a set of cabinet I did many years ago. You notice on the drawers there full extension yet I used the 3/4 75 pound drawer slides on the rollouts in the pantry. 3/4 works fine for rollouts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 365571127_Photo13.JPG.ca86333942b29a1253af5beee7580988.jpg (309.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 511781663_Photo15.JPG.de3b500f7ee5aa0ab403a4ab9963ee60.jpg (299.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2066823578_Photo16.JPG.df47c934483d09318a4b9b9afb2e97f6.jpg (297.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 707058839_Photo17.JPG.0831f50f9dd3dea8721d379388fe23f0.jpg (264.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2045282956_Photo18.JPG.faeffa3e45341895754c4c160a57e69d.jpg (255.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 257936545_Photo19.JPG.6944848ccbc772ee670e3e0c317a949b.jpg (321.8 KB, 26 views)
Rebelwork is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,390
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
George.... those drawer guides have been used in kitchen since I started putting them in kitchen in the 90's. There by no means junk. I've used them in rollouts for pantries with no problems. I have them in my kitchen and the house was built in 1999.

I have KV full extension slides in a dresser I built in around 2005. The bearing have fallen out or falling out of several. Yet the kitchen drawer slides you say are junk are still holding up fine.....

You mentioned you got them for free, yet you say they where not worth what you payed for them.. might want to look at that statement..

In commercial it's almost always full extension or metabox for banks, hospitals, etc. But those same shops use the 3/4 extension drawer guides in residential and there generally knockoffs rather than Blum...

I did not say that they were junk, I just said that they are not full extension. My kitchen was loaded with then from the cabinet manufacturer and as I said I also used them. The ones I used were all for pullout. Regardless, drawer or pullout, when you neeed to get to material in the back they need to be full extension. However, I now need to go through the kitchen and change many of them over to full extension.


It would be much better if cabinet mfgs would also use the full extension. It would cost a little more but be will worth it.


George

Last edited by GeorgeC; 07-06-2020 at 01:27 PM.
GeorgeC is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,390
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
The concept is to make say 5 or 6 drawers. Which Im pretty much done with.

Mount the drawer part of the slides to the drawers, but mount say 10 receiver rails in the cabinet at 3 or 4 inch intervals.

That way, should I need a taller drawer this week, but not always, simply move the drawer up or down to the next set of rails in the pantry cabinet.

Just like how shelves will have adjustable height locations, I want the same with drawer locations without having to physically mount anything after the first build out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, now I see what you are doing. Interesting idea and good where you have the space to do it.


George
GeorgeC is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Here's a set of cabinet I did many years ago. You notice on the drawers there full extension yet I used the 3/4 75 pound drawer slides on the rollouts in the pantry. 3/4 works fine for rollouts...
I like the way you did that pantry. Thats the concept. Except Im starting from a factory made pantry cabinet.

I had thought about doing similar with the dados like you did and still could, but was concerned that the drawer rails on the cabinet side may tilt inward or otherwise rack when the drawer is pulled out. Perhaps the 3/4 out instead of full extension is the keystone of the design.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #12 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 616
View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
@Rebelwork those dados in the back are great!

You can also accomplish the adjustability feature by using shelf pin holes and mounting the slides to a 1/2" thick wood slat, which can be moved and a metal shelf pin put underneath. The rear of the slide will have to be screwed into cabinet to prevent tipping. The rear dado strip can be made to accomodate the shelf pin distances (probably every 3rd hole).

I've done this before on lower unit shelf pullouts. Once they are located they are rarely changed by the user.

Robert

Last edited by DrRobert; 07-06-2020 at 03:39 PM.
DrRobert is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
My original plan seems like it should work nicely with the 3/4 pull out drawers. I did shorten the drawers from my originals. Which were 4 tall, they are now 2.5 tall.

These particular drawers were from the original cabinets that I removed from the kitchen. So I just took them apart, resized the parts as required for the new size.

I just need to figure out how many extra rails I need, and what integral I want them placed.






I may even have too many drawers, but hey, they were free.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,765
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You can also use these is you already had previous drilled shelves to start. I started using these as it was easier in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_092910_1594132293617.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	392033  

Rebelwork is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,765
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I tried to get smart with a smart phone..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_093318_1594132440296.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	392035  

Rebelwork is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Rebelwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Odessa,MO
Posts: 1,765
View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You can use these with Pozi system screw or other with a 5mm hole..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_094120_1594132958861.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	392037  

Rebelwork is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome