Drawer runner dimensions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

View skunkbad's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer runner dimensions

I'm building a workbench, and it will have some drawers under the top. These drawers will be able to pull out from either side, so I thought I'd route some dados in the sides of the drawers, and then use a strip up hardwood for a drawer runner. I hope I'm using the term "drawer runner" correctly, as I'm not fully educated in woodworking jargon.

The drawers boxes would be made from 5/8" plywood, and the sides of the carcass that holds the drawers would be 3/4" plywood. I thought, just for alignment and rigidity, that I would made a dado in the carcass, and the runner would fit into it.

So, for maximum strength and longevity, I'm wondering how deep the dados should be in the drawer boxes and carcass, and what the dimensions of the runner should be.

Since the plywood for the drawer boxes is going to be 5/8" thick, I was thinking that the dado would be 1/4" deep. I was also thinking that the dado in the carcass would be 1/4" deep. So my runner would be about 1/2" thick. Is that going to be strong enough?

I don't plan to store really heavy stuff in these drawers, but I'd guess that each drawer should be able to hold a maximum of 30 pounds. A rough estimate of the size of the drawer boxes is 25 inches deep X 18 inches wide X 6 inches high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-24-2015, 11:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The term drawer runner is accurate. What you have planned should work fine. 1/4" deep dado should be fine. I would recommend using as hard of a wood as you can get for the runner. Every time the drawer is used it rubs a little wood off the runner.

Normally though with a drawer of that type there is a drawer front covering the slides but since you will be having the drawer come out both sides you will have to have the dado go completely through.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

View skunkbad's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The term drawer runner is accurate. What you have planned should work fine. 1/4" deep dado should be fine. I would recommend using as hard of a wood as you can get for the runner. Every time the drawer is used it rubs a little wood off the runner.

Normally though with a drawer of that type there is a drawer front covering the slides but since you will be having the drawer come out both sides you will have to have the dado go completely through.
Steve, thanks for your reply. I'll be going to Home Depot in the morning for the wood for the runners. They have red oak, mahogany, birch, and maple. Maple is the hardest, yes? I was planning on getting the maple, unless one of the other woods would work better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2015, 04:56 AM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
I like maple for drawer runners. Especially with some wax on it.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2015, 08:28 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkbad View Post
Steve, thanks for your reply. I'll be going to Home Depot in the morning for the wood for the runners. They have red oak, mahogany, birch, and maple. Maple is the hardest, yes? I was planning on getting the maple, unless one of the other woods would work better.
Red oak has hard and soft places. Mahogany is soft as pine. Birch or hard maple would work fine for that application. Just be careful not to get the soft maple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode