• 1 Post By FrankC
  • 2 Post By faith michel
  • 3 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer pulls - Where to get

You guys that have bought drawer pulls and knobs, where do you shop for good quality stuff? I'm not interested in the sub-par/overpriced products sold by the local Lowe's/HD stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.richelieu.com

Not sure if you need an account or not as I purchase through a family company.
faith michel likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #3 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 04:12 PM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum74 View Post
You guys that have bought drawer pulls and knobs, where do you shop for good quality stuff? I'm not interested in the sub-par/overpriced products sold by the local Lowe's/HD stores.
I never buy it... i can do it ... it is very easy

I produce it..like this video... i like DIY Projects. ..

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
AwesomeOpossum74 and JohnTC like this.

SECOND CHANCE & SECOND LİFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Be Nice

View JohnTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
At least check Amazon. Can get an idea of the quality from the reviews and Q&As. I usually make my own or dig in my bin from garage sales and flea markets.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." -H.L. Mencken
post #5 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 PM

View red68mgb's Photo Album My Photos
We got some recently from Myknobs.com. And sometimes Wayfair has some pretty good values too.

Jim

"I've learned the hard way that I can't afford to buy cheap tools"
post #6 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Online is a good option. Search cabinet hardware, you can also combine search with key words like " oil rubbed bronze.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I purchase whereever I find what I want. Lowes, etc. may be where I find what I want. I do not go in with some ill advised, preconceived notion that what I find there will be no good.

George
Indywar2, JohnTC and red68mgb like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I use Lee Valley - not cheap tho. They also have some reproduction hardware.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #9 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 11:21 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworkershardware and CShardware. Lee Valley very limited selection. Recently bought some hinges from them that were pretty poorly made.

That said, I've bought quite a few utility type pulls from Amazon that were not bad and extremely cheap.

For a brass I take a big gulp and to Horton Brasses. :-D
post #10 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
We have a variety of local sources. We like to touch and feel before we buy. Some sources are nationwide, like Rockler. The rest are local to us in Southern California:

* We bought a large assortment of Jeffrey Alexander brand "Tiffany" knobs and pulls in brushed nickel for our kitchen. I don't like or dislike Jeffrey Alexander knobs and pulls. They feel like good quality to me, but I really do not know if they are up to your quality requirements. Spouse chose them based on looks. They have held up well in our kitchen over four years. We got them at 405 Cabinets in Fountain Valley. They supply pre-made cabinets and a selection of hardware to go with them, but are not a hardware store per se. (Rockler shows Jeffrey Alexander hardware on their website, but I think they may be discontinuing them. You can find them from many other sources.) http://www.405cabinets.com

* Woodward's Ace in Santa Ana (located near Orange/Tustin). They are a special, old school hardware store. We are willing to make the longer drive past other hardware stores to go there.
https://www.woodwardsace.com

* New York Hardware in Costa Mesa. They carry a very wide range of high quality products, but they are expensive. Parking is a pain. Back into the parking slots, or you may never get out.
http://www.nyhardware.com

* Muff's Antiques at the "Circle" in Orange. They have knobs, pulls, catches, locks, etc. etc. etc. to replace old, antique ones that you cannot find anywhere else. They are a national treasure, or at least a local one. Once in a while I have a nightmare that the owners may someday retire.
http://www.muffshardware.com

P.S. Related to knobs and pulls and accessibility.

Some people have joint issues. I have seen pull designs that force the hand into unnatural positions. I don't like pulls that force the hand to twist in a certain direction to use them. Some are shaped like upside-down cups, for example. They hurt some people by forcing them to orient their hands into uncomfortable positions to use them. Many pulls force you to flip your hand upside-down with fingers pointed up to open cabinets and drawers. They can hurt to use them.

I prefer open pulls where the hand can grasp them in either direction, with fingers up or down. Those same pulls offer left or right handed use when mounted vertically on doors, too. For people with joint issues, they make a difference.

The same thing is true for door knobs vs. levers.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 09-18-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 PM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
Try Googling a premium manufacturer like Baldwin, Colonial Bronze, or Rocky Mountain Bronze. The online outlets that sell one top of the line product will usually sell others.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-20-2019, 02:47 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
A customer of ours. Theirs is probably not "high end", it is probably in the realm of "exotic".

https://www.erbutler.com/products

My error. This is architectural hardware (doors) not cabinet hardware.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-20-2019, 03:55 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Another one post and run poster.

George
Stevedore and 13579 like this.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-20-2019, 07:42 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I have a commercial shop and buy from Hafele, I think you can also buy from them via their net site. Most of the other places we buy from are "to the trade" only. Discounts to the trade are BIG. There is a big range in price/quality and price doesn't necessarily relate to quality. Horton Brass is nice but be prepared for sticker shock.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-21-2019, 07:31 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Lowe's for me. Ordering online sometimes has a shipping cost that is an outrageous % of the cost of the items. Plus, I like to see what I'm getting.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There are only so many companies making the hardware, take a look around at the displays offered by your local cabinet distributors, find a brand and style you like and then after touching and feeling it go online and find the best deal on that product.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #17 of 18 Old 09-21-2019, 07:25 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Another one post and run poster.

George
He's probably at Lowe's or HD looking at drawer pulls.

Re the original post: AHturf.com offers a lot of cabinet hardware. I ordered a bunch of Blum hinges from them; pricing was very good IMO. Pricing may be attractive on their knobs, pulls, etc.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Other sources are artisans that will make whatever you want. People that work in hot glass, ceramics, blacksmithing, metal casting, etc....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode