Down draft tables - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

View gpeck's Photo Album My Photos
Down draft tables

Looking for advice on down draft tables. (I have never used one)
I sand a lot of white cedar with a palm sander. I have a dust collector hose attached to the sander. It works fine but the hose is a pain. The cedar I sand is generally the same size, basically a box 10 by 10 by 28. Do they make tables that will attach to my suction system or do they come with their own? How much do you need to spend to get one that works? Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Alan Sweet

View Alan Sweet's Photo Album My Photos
Down Draft Tables have a number of ..

different varieties.

They can be table top where you can attach to your dust system or mobile where there is an on board shop vac. and hybrids of both. Some have hidden tops (just remove the cover and use). Some you carry over to your work bench and hook it up to use.

Usually the top is about 2'-3' long x 18"-24" wide x 6-8" deep. Internally it can have a draw that will pull the dust down thru the regularly perforated top to the dust system or vac. Usually slanted internal sides to direct the flow and dust to the output.

If you are using an orbital sander, you might want to think how you will handle their output. Most are down right dirty. I have a small shop vac I connect directly to mine.

Once you can get or make the perforated top, they are easy to make.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
They are fairly straight fwd builds.Lots of good how-to's around.As mentioned above,the vac system can be accomplished in several ways.

I'm suggesting you seriously look at how the table can dbl as storage,or outfeed table,or anyway....assist your shop in another capacity.Look at the internals....where does the baffel'ing allow you to utilze other parts inside as storage.....and you can keep this storage all about your sanding stuff.Which frees up other shop space.

Next up is your hose issue.I hear ya,they can be a real pain.Our shop ceiling is a little over 10'.......to it are lag bolts shot into framing in a few different places.One of the uses is for hanging heavy,but still bendable wire....to support "things".One of which is sander hoses.It only takes a cpl wire supports in just the right places to keep hoses in check.Took way longer to type than to reach over,grab a wire support.

But downdraft tables are cool....if they're providing other uses.They are falling "out of favor" with certain industrial regs from a cpl of standpoints.But it usually can be done very safely with good 'ole general house cleaning.....don't let dust build-up inside.Good luck,sounds like a fun and very useful shop accessory.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Half a bubble off.. {ΘΘ}

View J Thomas's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a couple videos of two different builds.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f30/h...-tables-43218/

Hope this helps
..Jon..
post #5 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Denray is the leader in downdraft tables.
http://www.denray.com/sample_page.ph...ine=2800&ind=1
post #6 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

View gpeck's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, what a big help you guys are. Thats why I love this fourm. Amateurs like me can learn a lot.
Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM

View Burt's Photo Album My Photos
I built this downdraft table from plan that Rockler supplies. I did not buy the panels they sell, due to too pricey for me. I used peg board instead. Very happy with the results and works great with my 4" dust collector. The download of plan can be found here:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...8&site=ROCKLER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode