Double Sided Center Hole Punch - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

View Arbee's Photo Album My Photos
Double Sided Center Hole Punch

Most of us have seen a center hole punch.

We line it up in the cross hairs of lines we've drawn on wood, and either hammer a tiny hole at this point with the punch, or have a spring loaded punch do it for us.

Anyway---has anyone seen one (a punch) that's double sided, that insures the center holes in each side of wood are immediately above and below each other?

Here's where I am going with this.

Image a piece of wood, small, suspended in mid aid. This feat's done with steel threaded rod that goes through the wood at several points, where nuts are positioned at just the right height along each rod that they support the wood in question from below, level.

That of course keeps the wood from falling, but not fixed in position, gravity nothwithstanding. Turn the piece upsidedown, watch it slide down the rod. So another nut is tightened down on top side of the wood along the threaded steel rod. Now the wood in question can neither rise or lower.

Finally, we don't want the nuts coming up higher or lower than the top of bottom surface side of the wood.

So, on a 3/4" thick piece of wood we're suspending in mid-air, we Fostner bit drill a 1/4" deep hole on each side of the wood with, say, a 3/4" bit to recess the nuts (and washers) on each side of the wood--immediately in line with each other vertically....and we do this in several places on the wood. This would be facilitated with the punch I seek.

The middle 1/4" in the wood being suspended and drilled has a 3/8" hole clear through, thru which the rod goes.

A double sided center hole punch might allow me to perfectly align the holes above and below the suspended wood. Sure...I could measure on each side, but I manage to get off by a 1/32" by the time I am done.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
just make a "C" shaped jig

You would take a long reach C clamp and drill out the threaded end. Using the drilled hole as a guide weld on a sleeve to the "pad" end so it's in alignment with a rod passed through the sleeve, same diameter. Using two rods, sharpened on the ends to a point, tap the one into the wood at the location you want then leaving it in the wood tap the other rod to make a mark on the opposite side.

OR, just one of these:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Drill a 1/8" or smaller hole through the material, using that to center the 3/4" Forestner bit dill the 1/4" deep holes on both sides, now using a 3/8" bit drill the hole for the rod.

Check the outside diameter of your 3/8" washers they are likely larger than 3/4", more like 13/16".

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 10-21-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

View Arbee's Photo Album My Photos
Frank: brilliant. Why didn't I think of that!! Thanks! .....as simple as it is effective!

Tags
center punch double sided

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode