Doors for over closet - opening slightly out of square - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

View personalt's Photo Album My Photos
Doors for over closet - opening slightly out of square

Anyone have a recommendation for how to set up door for a opening over a closet which is on the inside of jamb.

Picture attached. opening is abuot ~16"hx48"w I was thinking of either making some doors or having them made if I decide to be really lazy... only issue is opening is slightly out of square.. left side it about 1/4" inch shorter then right... since I would expect to sit the doors inside the jamb I dont see how to make it work with the opening slightly out of square.

I was originally thinking about using something in a track but my concern is that unless the track has some play I might be in trouble when I try and slide t

any thoughts on an easy way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00259-20101217-2004.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	19134  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 01:48 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
I would think that you could use euros on the top, make the door full width even out of square with opening and then use those piston brace thingys at the ends.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You could just use a sliding door hardware assembly that has adjustable height wheels, and a deep upper track to allow for any differential. This set would work well.

Or you could make a lift up lid, using euro hinges (concealed), and an opening bracket that locks open when open, and lift again and it releases, as in the below picture.
Doors for over closet - opening slightly out of square-closet-lid.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 PM

View Rodand1's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like your moulding is also out of square since the top right miter joint has a gap in it. Take your time, do it right so it looks right when you are finished. I would pop the top horizontal and right vertical moldings off. Then I would square the upper jamb so that your opening is level, then reapply the moldings. The moldings will probably fit better and look much better to the eye. Then you can build two small, hinged doors, either flat panel or raised panel to match the closet doors below. This really won't take much time and will look so much better than a quick fix. You want to be proud of your work when you are finished, not wishing you had done a better job in the first place.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
if it were my house, i would rip it out and make it true. then use top mount hinges to swing up like cab-mans picture. i wouldnt go as far to have it slide in cuz youll loose space inside.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You asked for suggestions about 2 weeks ago. Is there an update or do you need further help? Abandoning your thread is not a good way to get help in the future, unless you died, and if that's the case please let us know.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Saw Dust Club Member

View Al B Cuttn Wud's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with the others, take the time to square up. I've tried to make a square door unsquare before to fit a bad door opening.....ended up wasting a ton of time and ended up buying a second door after getting the opening all square.

For the design, I'd go with two sliding doors that match the door below.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode