Door handle blocks storm door from closing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Door handle blocks storm door from closing

Iím looking for a creative way to move a storm door out to provide more clearance for entry Door handle. I bought a new Deco door lock/handle and itís so big that I canít close the storm door.

Itís actually a security door and I have it just so the wife feels more secure when someone comes to the door. A big guy could probably rip it right off, but it gives her a little more time to shut the main door if she has to. It has a glass window that slides down with a screen so she can talk to whoever is outside, but also has bars to prevent a hand or foot from coming through.

The security side of the door is useless if we canít lock it with the front door closed

I was going to install a 2x4 frame around the outside of the door, but the more I think of it the more tacky it sounds because I have Stucco walls. Also since I do have Stucco Wall, I don't want to pull out the jam to make it bigger.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you post a exterior picture of the door and describe how much the storm door needs to move out?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Can you post a exterior picture of the door and describe how much the storm door needs to move out?
Yes I'll have to wait till tomorrow for the photo when its light. The clearance needed is only about 1/2". I took the new handle off for now until I can solve this because there have been a lot of strange people coming through the neighborhood.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM

View subdajj's Photo Album My Photos
Trim the outside of the door with 1 by. Then mount the storm door to the 1 by. I have done this a couple of times.
The Following User Says Thank You to subdajj For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-30-2013)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Ok I just realized that I could capture a photo from my security camera from early today
On second though that didn't show much

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 07-01-2013 at 05:37 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The picture isn't clear enough to tell very much. As best I can tell the easiest solution would be to remove the 3/4" facial and replace it with some that is 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick. With the transom it would look odd to build out around the door even if you put a piece of trim horizontally to separate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-30-2013)
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I found a regular Screen Door latch in my garage and changed locks to see if it will work. It does allow the proper clearance, but it is not keyed and I don’t trust the latch.

When reinstalled the big door lock similar I remembered right away that there was something I never liked about it. It has to be locked from the outside with a key and that’s a pain in the neck while carrying 2 cups of coffee, a computer, and a lunch bag.

I really love being able to have a lever on the inside for easy opening and auto locking when the door closes. So I decided to buy another type of Entrance Door Lock that meets all my specifications. Only this time I’ll keep the screen door in mind while making my choice.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode