Don't know much, looking for some advice. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

View B0bEIII's Photo Album My Photos
Don't know much, looking for some advice.

I've got a 3 foot piece of 1x2, and I want to notch an 8" section in the middle to make the final measurement of that section about .5" x 1.5". What is the best way to accomplish this with fairly inexpensive tools?
Using my limited wood working knowledge and tools I just did this by first hack sawing grooves across the 8" section a couple hairs above the depth I was going for. Then I used a sharp pocket knife to chip away the wood in between the grooves. I had planned to use a coarse metal file to file the wood the rest of the way down, but it didn't take long to realize I should have hack sawed 1 hair above the depth instead of 2. So I used my pocket knife to whittle it down closer and cleaned it up with the file.
Now this worked, but it isn't real pretty, it was a pain, and it took a lot of time. I'd like to repeat this from time to time. There has to be an easier way and a better tool.
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0bEIII View Post
I've got a 3 foot piece of 1x2, and I want to notch an 8" section in the middle to make the final measurement of that section about .5" x 1.5". What is the best way to accomplish this with fairly inexpensive tools?
Using my limited wood working knowledge and tools I just did this by first hack sawing grooves across the 8" section a couple hairs above the depth I was going for. Then I used a sharp pocket knife to chip away the wood in between the grooves. I had planned to use a coarse metal file to file the wood the rest of the way down, but it didn't take long to realize I should have hack sawed 1 hair above the depth instead of 2. So I used my pocket knife to whittle it down closer and cleaned it up with the file.
Now this worked, but it isn't real pretty, it was a pain, and it took a lot of time. I'd like to repeat this from time to time. There has to be an easier way and a better tool.
Thanks for any advice.
Hello,

Yes there are easier/different ways to do this. What tools do you have currently? It depends on what tools you have and what you want to spend on new tools if you even need any. When you say "fairly inexpensive tools" what exactly are we talking about? $10?, $50, $100...more?.......the answer to that may help some of the folks out here recommend an approach that would work best for you...

Tom.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Joonya Membah

View bzbatl's Photo Album My Photos
Nice sharp chisels are a good investment.

Two quick vertical cuts, then pop it out with the chisel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM

View RussBoyd's Photo Album My Photos
notch

Like the previous post said, it depends on your tools. I would quickly do that with my miter saw by the method you described except to be precise with the depth, MANY kerfs and then clean it out with the blade. You can do it with a circular saw, but unless you are adept with the saw it is dangerous. Russ
post #5 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I've got all the tools I need to fix almost any car, but I don't have any woodworking specific tools.
I don't mind paying for a good tool, but I don't think I want to spend more than $20-30 unless it's for something versatile enough to use for other stuff. I don't do a whole lot of woodworking...
post #6 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Joonya Membah

I think Russ meant a table saw with the miter gauge?

It's basically a dado.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 04:26 PM

it sounds like you may have limited availability to a lot of woodworking tools so these are the first few options I thought of right away. There are likely several others. Looks like variations of these have already been mentioned.
  • you can use a table saw and stacked dado to do the work
  • you can use a table saw and regular blade to cut a bunch of kerfs and then chisel out the rest
  • you can use a router and straight bit with some stops placed on your work and basically make a very long dado in your piece that way. If tearout is an issue use some scrap the same thickness as your workpeice butted up against each edge to minimize tearout
  • you can use your current method which seems to be working pretty well from what you described

Last edited by Tom5151; 03-13-2009 at 04:34 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 PM

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
If you have lots of car stuff, do you have a dremel tool? If you do that would work. It wouldn't be perfect but it would work. And if you don't have one, it would be a tool worth purchasing as it would do many other things.

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM

View windstorm's Photo Album My Photos
You get an A+ for perseverance, that's for sure. To get that far with only a hack saw blade & pocket knife is pretty impressive. I might call you if I ever get lost in the woods. But I would invest in a cheap set of chisels, which are sold at your local Home Depot & Lowes for under $10 apiece.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
New Guy

View moondawg's Photo Album My Photos
You can find decent used routers on craigslist all day long for $30. Add a cheap bit, and you're off to the races. Considering the time you'd spend repeating this endeavor, it's ~30 bux well spent!
post #11 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondawg View Post
You can find decent used routers on craigslist all day long for $30. Add a cheap bit, and you're off to the races. Considering the time you'd spend repeating this endeavor, it's ~30 bux well spent!
i agree........craigslist has routers all the time for next to nothing and a straight bit might run you 10 bucks.......

since this is a fairly long dado I'd probabaly start by routing the two ends of it first and work in from both ends until you have a smaller dado that's maybe an inch or so wide on each end of your 8 inch length. Then I would put two peices of stock as long as and as thick as your workpiece on either side of your workpeice so your router is supported on both sides of the wprkpeice and finish by routing the rest of the 8 inch dado along the length of the board............i hope that makes sense.....
post #12 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by windstorm View Post
You get an A+ for perseverance, that's for sure. To get that far with only a hack saw blade & pocket knife is pretty impressive. I might call you if I ever get lost in the woods. But I would invest in a cheap set of chisels, which are sold at your local Home Depot & Lowes for under $10 apiece.
For your stated requirement and future woodworking ambitions I believe this is the best answerl

I might add an inexpensive woodsaw to your list of tools.

However you make the cuts, the chisels will make the final material removal and smoothing easier that using a pocket knife.

George
post #13 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Russ' answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbatl View Post
I think Russ meant a table saw with the miter gauge?

It's basically a dado.
Although you're right it could be done with a table saw, I meant what I said,(a miter saw or even skilsaw)
but remember, I did say It was dangerous to a degree.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBoyd View Post
Although you're right it could be done with a table saw, I meant what I said,(a miter saw or even skilsaw)
but remember, I did say It was dangerous to a degree.
Please let me try another interpretation.

Do you mean a SLIDING Miter Saw(SMS)? I know that on my SMS I can set the depth of cut. And because it slides I can make the same depth of cut across the entire width of the piece of wood.

I cannot understand how you would do the cut on a basic miter saw as you would get a curved cut even if you could set the depth of cut.

George
post #15 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Joonya Membah

Skilsaw I can see. I still don't see how you do that with a mitre saw... unless it's what George is saying.

I'm up for learning a new trick, though :)
post #16 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 05:33 PM

yeah I'm game too and very willing to learn........that would make my life much easier in some cases......
post #17 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

What's a good way to control the cut depth of a hand saw?
post #18 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Please let me try another interpretation.

Do you mean a SLIDING Miter Saw(SMS)? I know that on my SMS I can set the depth of cut. And because it slides I can make the same depth of cut across the entire width of the piece of wood.

I cannot understand how you would do the cut on a basic miter saw as you would get a curved cut even if you could set the depth of cut.

George
A slider would be the easiest, but fixed would work too. You have to back up the 1x2 with, Let's say a 3" board so as NOT to end up with the curved cut. It has to go at the set depth all the way across the cut. And yes, you have to have the depth stop on the miter saw. I thought they all did. The size of your saw limits you to the size of board you could do this on, especially a non slider, but a 1x2 is a piece of cake. Sorry I didn't see these questions sooner. Russ

Last edited by RussBoyd; 03-15-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode