Doesnt seem right - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

View maple man's Photo Album My Photos
Doesnt seem right

I Am going to be building this bed in my shop class this year sand I came up with 249bf at $3 dollars a bf with comes out to $747 it seems a little steep in price to me. So my question to you is am I right or should it be just about that cost. Here is a link to the website I found it on http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...-platform-bed/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

View maple man's Photo Album My Photos
I forgot to mention that I will be using walnut
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm having trouble seeing 249bd ft. there. Just looking at the picture it looks more like 50' of walnut to me with maybe 50' of a secondary wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
the author says he spent 2000 on wood, bubinga and wenge though.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2015, 09:09 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
the author says he spent 2000 on wood, bubinga and wenge though.
He said he spent that much to make sure he got the right grain. SOunds like he purchased alot to pick and choose.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2015, 09:13 PM

View Tim G's Photo Album My Photos
250 bf of lumber is 50 boards that are 1"x 6" x10' I don't think you'll need anywhere near that much material. That's assuming all the material is 1" thick.
Example. 1x6x120=720. So that's 720 sq in. There are 144sq in. In one sq ft. So divide 720 by 144 you get 5 sq ft. And there 1" thick so that's 5 bf. If the material is 2" thick then you multiply 2x6x120 and use the same formula as above. So basically measure all you surfaces. Then thickness x width x length in inches. Then divide that by 144. And that's the board feet you will need. It's a good idea to add 20% or so to make sure you have enough. I'm sorry if I'm giving you info that you already have. And if it's to confusing.
Looks like a fun project. And I like the photo of the bed all made up in the shop right next to the bandsaw.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2015, 10:55 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Its too difficult to tell by the pics and the angles given his description says solid lumber and if the dims are solid the side and bottom rails look like 12/4 by 6 maybe 7" the head board looks 6/4X6 or 7". Excluding the brackets/ledges, block feet under the foot board and Bubinga I count just under 66 bf.

I framed for a living for nearly 30 yrs the rule of thumb was a minimum 15% would be useless and that's framing lumber. Lumb. yds aren't in the buss to pick through piles to find the good stuff for you but to fill trucks to keep them on the road. National mills that supply lumber for the furniture industry should be working it different especially if they want to keep customers. International mills dealing in exotics might think different, (shipping X amount of unusable lumber) might be your prob not theirs.

I don't know, I try to keep things simple and buy local or regional at worst. I traveled 100 miles up and back for walnut one time. I worked the wood much more to get it right but I got much more than I would have otherwise.

The last bed frame I made cost me about $700 for all the mat, oak mahogany, 3/4 ply brackets bolts drawer slides etc., etc. I hand picked the oak and mahogany.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 PM

View MasterSplinter's Photo Album My Photos
Yea that's a bit much. I have built a few beds. You can do it cheaper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode