Does my Router Table Need a Router Lift? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

View minuteman62-64's Photo Album My Photos
Does my Router Table Need a Router Lift?

In the planning phase for a router table. My router is the Ridgid R2900, with a depth of cut adjustment through the base, using a hex wrench. So, it appears that, with the router mounted on the table, on a conventional plate, I could adjust the depth of cut with the router in place by loosening the lock lever and using the hex wrench from above, via a hole drilled in the plate.

So, my question is: would there be any advantage to having one of those "lift" systems incorporated in my table? Seems like just a plate, at about 1/2 the cost, would work just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Router lifts are nice, but unneeded with many of the newer routers like yours. I think you will do just fine with an plate.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Hargis For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (01-21-2013)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 03:14 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
What Fred said. About the only advantage would be you would also be able to lock from above the table, still would have to go down there to adjust speed.... Advantage would be only marginal, at best. It's your money though.
I use the Freud 3000 which also has a lift base but I left the springs in which takes out any slop in the system so I never even lock the base except on very long runs. I have a Wixey height guage attached and it doesn't move during the cuts.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you've migrated from the "integral to the router system" it's hard to imagine the difference or the benefit of a really good lift. I have a Porter Cable 890 series which has a mechanism (and a tool to operate it) for raising and lowering the router motor from above the table. I was really pleased with it generally. The price was right, it gave me flexibility, etc. I watched several demos of lifts and thought one would be "nice to have someday". When my neighbor down the street got one and let me play with it a bit, I have to say I was completely hooked. I wasn't hooked on the ease of use, although that was nice, too. I was hooked on the precision. If you are trying to sneak up on a dimension, you can see your height change on the dial and know that it is accurate, and not compromised by slop in your router latch mechanism (as mine always was).

Having said all that, it's one of those "in for a penny, in for a pound" things. If you are going to go to the expense of buying a really good lift, you may as well assume that at some point you are going to dedicate a router to it. The slope is really, really slippery. As I once read, "If I had a $1,000" to spend on a router, table and lift, I'd buy a shaper". But I must say, I HAVE NO REGRETS about my choice to go the lift path.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode