Does anyone have a PC in their woodshop? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
Does anyone have a PC in their woodshop?

If you do, what do you do to protect it from dust?

If you have considered it, do you have any suggestions?

I have a few PC's. I am forever coming back inside to look up instructions and take advantage of the many handy woodworking calculators that are available online.

I have an Apple iMac that I am,not overly fond of anyway. The advantage f the machine is that it is pretty much one piece and has a wireless card. I have good signal in the shop / garage. I am just concerned that it will get full of wood dust. So........ Has anyone done it? Any suggestions. As I said, I have no love for the machine, so if I loose it, I loose it. It is just a convenient package. An all in one so to speak. Keyboard and mouse are cordless. I was thinking of a big plastic bag while I was not using it.

Thank You

Andy

Thank You

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 PM

View skyking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

I have a few PC's. I am forever coming back inside to look up instructions and take advantage of the many handy woodworking calculators that are available online.

I have an Apple iMac that I am,not overly fond of anyway. The advantage f the machine is that it is pretty much one piece and has a wireless card. I have good signal in the shop / garage. I am just concerned that it will get full of wood dust. So........ Has anyone done it? Any suggestions. As I said, I have no love for the machine, so if I loose it, I loose it. It is just a convenient package. An all in one so to speak. Keyboard and mouse are cordless. I was thinking of a big plastic bag while I was not using it.

Thank You

Andy
Put a drape over it when not in use, and it should last quite a while.
I pack a laptop out there when needed.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 AM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a Dell small case PC in my home shop to run my CNC Shark. I simply vacuum the intakes/vents every time I'm done using the CNC, throw a cover over it (and the keyboard/mouse/monitor) when not using the CNC, and monthly open the case to vacuum out the inside.

We've got a similar setup in the Furniture Design shop I teach in, and have a piece of filter material over the intake of the PC, as well as a shop vac nearby to suck it clean periodically.

No problems so far with either setup. Pressurized air in the school shop blows the monitor clean daily.

Last edited by 4DThinker; 04-01-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I've had a Mac min in my shop now for about a year. Done nothing about the dust...and have had no problems. I do have a fairly good DC and use vacs on all my hand tools I possibly can, but there is still some amount of dust around. Nothing I can do about it, so I don't worry. I do have it up on a shelf about 6' up (to get the router signal), maybe that helps. That's where I'm typing this response. Let me mention this, in my last shop I had a cable box, VCR, stereo receiver, cassette deck (yep, still got one) and CD player set up for over 7 years and had no problems with any of that stuff either. Still use the CD player and cassette deck (yep, too many cassettes to toss) in this shop...all work fine.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Last edited by Fred Hargis; 04-01-2013 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM

View walnutavenue's Photo Album My Photos
Look at it this way... most people never clean the fans, heat sinks, etc. on their computers. They go for years sucking in all the dust in a house. If you make a point of cleaning yours, it's probably better off than most computers sitting in cleaner environments. I don't think you'll ever have a problem leaving it unprotected. I'd worry about the keyboard more than anything, and it's probably cheap to replace.

I've had a lot of computers, but never hurt one from dust exposure. The worst I experienced was getting a video card heat sink so dusty that it wouldn't cool, which resulted in graphics weirdness and frequent crashes. Once I cleaned the dust out, everything was fine for years after.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM

View against_the_grain's Photo Album My Photos
Dust is probably more of a concern with laptops I would think. But they are portable, so obviously you can take it back in the house with you.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM

View Tilaran's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Tilaran
I have an old beater Acer 5600 " Desktop"(flat kind) in my tool room. i've blown it out about once every three-four months for the last 6-7 years.
HDD died a couple years ago so I put Puppy Linux on a usb thumb drive. Good to go. All I need is internet on it anyway.
Been considering The Beast as my next purchase.

Last edited by Tilaran; 04-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
I have an HP laptop two years old which I use in my shop all the time, no issues so far.

One thing though, it is black and shiny and an amazing exhibit of showing dust. I think my shop is clean, turn on a 2hp dust collector, hit one board on the table saw and the laptop shows a fine layer of ultra-fine wood dust.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Hunter

View Hunter's Photo Album My Photos
You might be able to cover the keyboard with clear plastic and keep some of the dust out of the nooks and crannies. You might even want to put some on the screen, them you could just tear it off and throw it away to clean the screen. You would have to be careful to avoid covering the vents and fans. I would vacuum them out occasionally.

Hunter
post #10 of 20 Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM

View tdoucette67's Photo Album My Photos
I have an iphone and it stays in my pocket..it can do anything any computer can do.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
No an iPhone cannot do anything any computer can do. I run solidworks cad drawing editors ony pc to draw pieces. No iPhone could run a program like that. The new 3d version is a 6.2gig program. Try loading that on an iPhone.

Many people who's shop is a business have to have a pc for certain tasks.

These days an iPhone is not even the best phone on the market. I only have 2 more months and my iPhone gets traded in and I go back to android.

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"
post #12 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM

View tdoucette67's Photo Album My Photos
Actually you can get the cad control app and it allows you to use your iphone as a 3D controller to interact with solidworks as you design. My iphone is a 64 gig so it can handle it just fine. So yes my iPhone can do just about anything..it may not be as easy as on a computer but it can be done.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
Yea about like driving a dump truck by remote control. Just because the phone is 64 gig does not mean it can handle a 6.2 gig program. The processor would never handle it.

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"
post #14 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM

View Cliff's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
No an iPhone cannot do anything any computer can do.
Quite so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIFmike View Post
Yea about like driving a dump truck by remote control. .
Yipper.

Hey~!!! It's a hobby~!! It's not supposed to make sense.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM

View hays0369's Photo Album My Photos
I use an old dell re-furbished laptop in my shop, I cover it when not in use or put it in a bag. Once I get a DC in there it will help with dust issues

Novice with an attitude
post #16 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM

View ironman123's Photo Album My Photos
Does anyone have a PC in their woodshop?

I use an old Compaq 900 notebook in the shop to run my cnc mill and run my CAD program. No problems so far (8 years).

Ray
post #17 of 20 Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

Thank You

Andy
I have never found a time when I needed/wanted one.

George
post #18 of 20 Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 AM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a Sony laptop that I take into the shop regularly. I keep it on a desk at the far side of the shop and haven't had any problems.

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/
post #19 of 20 Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Speaking as an IT guy:

Sure, you can put a computer in your shop. It will mostly be fine. I've supported computers that were stored in the weirdest places, and most of them never had any problems. The only ones I've seen over-heating due to dust were the ones that were stored for years under a desk in a lab space that never got cleaned (there were some of the labs that the janitorial staff refused to clean, and the Union and Health/Safety people backed them).

That said, there's a few things you can do to lengthen the lifespan of the system.
1) Put some cheesecloth or thin open-cell foam (less than 5mm) over the air INTAKES. Not the exhaust... you want that running fast.
2) A couple times a year, when the shop is clean (or at least when there's no dust actively flying around -- try first thing in the morning) shut it down, open it up and blow it out with compressed air. We used canned air, but a compressor will also work... just make sure you've got it at a low PSI, and make sure there's no condensation in the tank or the line before you start. Filling it with water won't really have the same effect.

If you're going to buy a brand new system, you could get one that runs without fans. There are a few on the market, although the brands and models change often enough that I don't know what they are right now. The odds are good that something like that would run basically forever in a shop.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I have never found a time when I needed/wanted one.

George
How long does it take you to do this without one?

You have a board 56 7/8" long.

You need two edge rabbbets 7/32" and and three dados 7/16" wide to fit a drawer chest as pictured below.

What would the equal distance be between the rabbet, the dados and between the dados themselves, so that any drawer fits in any space snugly?

How would you measure and cut?

On my laptop, that will be the best part of 30 seconds, with a record I can go back to and no chance of error.

Does anyone have a PC in their woodshop?-drawer-chest.jpg

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode