DIY Speaker Show In Chicago, Aug 21/22 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

View mattk8715's Photo Album My Photos
DIY Speaker Show In Chicago, Aug 21/22

Hey all, been a while since I've posted. Just wanted to share that some good friends of mine are having a DIY get together in Chicago on Aug 21/22 if you're interested. I'm obviously addicted to speaker building, and shows like these bridge the gap that lies between finding something you think you want to build, and actually hearing the speakers. Here's a link to the event: Chicago DIY Audio Show

If you think you'd like to attend, please register (due to the venue, we can only have folks that registered in attendance). If DIY speaker building is something that interests you and you'll be anywhere near the event, come out!! Great group of guys/gals and an all around good time listening to speakers .

I'll be bringing 2 of my builds. One of builds is my most recent, "The Reclamations". These are speakers I made out of some rock maple flooring I tore out of a 100+ year old farmhouse that I remodeled. The front baffle is cherry...

I denailed, ripped the tongue and groove off, planed, routed, then biscuit joined the 3" wide strips of maple flooring together to make the sides and tops.

Test fit...

Finished (kind of, still need to make the grills)...

Another pair I'm bringing are some tower speakers I built a while back. Here's a link to the kit I purchased, these are basically the ones that got me hooked on speaker building. Meniscus Audio, ER18 MTM/Ribbon Kit

I got the finish ideas for these^^ by asking some questions here on this forum, that was my first time using Transtint. They're real cherry, but there was quite a bit of sapwood and I wanted a more uniform, deeper red. So, if you're interested in speaker building and you have a free weekend anywhere near Chicago on Aug 21/22, come out, we'd love to meet you!!!

Edit: Just wanted to let everyone know the show is free too. We'll probably pass a hat to cover pizza, but other than that... :)

beer me

Last edited by mattk8715; 07-27-2015 at 12:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattk8715 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (07-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode