DIY Router Table & Fence In the Works - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

View Millwright's Photo Album My Photos
DIY Router Table & Fence In the Works

I didn't think I really needed a larger router table, but you all make me drool with your woodworking toys and talents.

Here's a 36" x 32" router table with an extruded aluminum fence I've been tinkering with that's still in the rough. The fence height is 5 3/16" tall.

The extruded aluminum is scrap I found at work. It has t-slots on its faces, but it's metric sizing.

The opening at the bottom will have a vacuum port on the back side. The fence is held down using t-bolts in the tracks with tightening knobs.

Don't know yet if I'll build a cabinet for it or just use a metal stand.

Any advice to trick this out is very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FENCE copy.jpg
Views:	53952
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	12302  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
MW,
Looks like the start of a nice router table. You can't leave it on the metal stands, you need to build a nice cabinet to go with it. You should be able to find some metric hardware to fit your t slots. That's a solid looking chunk of aluminum you got there.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 PM

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
I'd be a little worried about that fence flexing. Are you sure it's stong enough?

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"

Last edited by TS3660; 12-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 AM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
I am designing a new router table cabinet now. The advantages I see with a new cabinet style table over my old router table with a metal frame is plenty storage for all router accessories and bits plus the ability to build in an improved enclosed section for dust collection. I am also putting it on locking wheels for mobility.
I would recommend a good router plate with above the table lifting capabilities. I have a Jessem Master Lift on my current table and it is great.

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #5 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
That looks very nice. Can you close the clearance on the bit with your fence? I would highly recommend limited clearance around your bit for safety and tearout reasons. But I think it looks great.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 02:03 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
I built Norm's router cabinet. Last year I upgraded to a master lift and pc7518 so I made a new top for it.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

View Millwright's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the comments. I've posted a pic of the backside of the fence in case anyone was interested.

I was worried about tearout also due to the gap on the sides of the bit. I suppose I'll use some MDF to make a sliding set of shutters to close things up as needed.

Has anybody used this box joint jig? I think I can duplicate it but it might be alot quicker to just buy it. Rockler Router Table Box Joint Jig http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V0717
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00681.jpg
Views:	18107
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	12316  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode