DIY Mobile Base or Store Bought? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Joel / Junior Member

View GreyhoundGuy's Photo Album My Photos
DIY Mobile Base or Store Bought?

I've got a Grizzly TSC 10 table saw like this one:

It's going to be part of my woodshop... which is also our garage. I need the majority of my tools and benches to be mobile. For the benches, I can easily use heavy duty castors from HD. But for the table saw and jointer, I either need to build bases OR purchase something that will allow it to roll on a not-glass-smooth garage floor.

What say you, WWT folks... DIY or BUY?

For DIY, I've found a few examples through Google searches, but nothing really specific in terms of plans. I was wondering if any of y'all had any ideas you could share.

Or if you have a table saw base you love, I'd love to see that, too.

I took a couple personal days off for this weekend, so I'll have some extra hours. I'd love to knock this project off my to-do list.

Thanks in advance, all!

Save an Athlete! Adopt a Greyhound!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 01:14 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Can you weld?

If you can weld, here's a simple but very stout mobile base I made:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...s-v-2-a-11756/

Other nice bases here;
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...e-bases-90458/

See post no. 12 for another one I made.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...ablesaw-11044/

The best store bought ones I have:
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-all-...5963_c1539f959

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-06-2019 at 01:16 AM.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 08:49 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought one from Harbor Freight for around $30. It will support up to 300 lbs. You need to add your own wood rails. I installed my floor standing drill press on it. I've got a couple of sets of plans from magazine articles...SHOPNOTES and WOOD. I can give you the magazine editions. If it's allowable, I can scan and email the magazine plans to you. I had bought a stand for my table saw several years ago for a lot more $ than the HF but it came with metal rails.
GreyhoundGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I always go w/home made.
This is what I built for my band saw.
Works very well.

DIY Mobile Base or Store Bought?-15304139_10154586004899792_4879751184484956249_o.jpg

flip top cabinet for SS and planer
DIY Mobile Base or Store Bought?-52779983_10156752968524792_7306767980803653632_n.jpg

rolling bench for sanders
DIY Mobile Base or Store Bought?-26734498_10155768324669792_8257535732267754455_n.jpg

Last edited by justdraftn; 03-06-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add info
post #5 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I would get a mobile base that sits squarely on four feet when in the stationary setting. You donít want that thing moving even a little bit while youíre sawing.

I have a couple like this under my tools.

https://www.amazon.com/50-278-Mobile...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
At the time that I decided that I needed a mobile base for my 52" Unisaw, HTC was having a sale of odd sized bases that weren't selling any longer. The prices were about 1/4 - 1/2 of the original list prices. I looked through the list and picked one that looked close, knowing that I would have to modify it. When it came, I cut the 1 X 2 square frame in several pieces and added pieces of the same square tubing to make it the right size. Of course, owning welding and metal working equipment helps with a project like this. I welded the frame back together in it's new size and configuration, then painted it with a rattle can of grey metallic paint that matched the original that I bought at Lowes, and My Unisaw now sits on an HTC base that perfectly fits it. I ground the new welds flat before painting, so there is no evidence of the frame being cut and extended. For about 2 hours work I saved considerable money, and had fun at the same time. My Unisaw has been on this base for about 8 years now.

Charley
woodnthings likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You can bolt castors to your table saw just as you did for the benches. Maybe not in the same manner. but it should not be hard. I have done it for my Craftsman saw. I put castors on one end and then picked up the other end to move it.

George
post #8 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 PM
MLP

View MLP's Photo Album My Photos
I just made one for my Grizzly G0715P. I did not want to have the usual 2 swivel/2 rigid arrangement, because it still was very hard to move. So I built a box of 3/4" ply and bought the Rockler Workbench Casters, and it worked out great. I moves everywhere easily, and the casters lower the box right to the floor so it stays in position.

MLP
Lemont, IL
post #9 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I made one like justdraftn's table for the disk sanders. I used plain ol' 2x4s from Lowe's and a piece of laminate countertop. I get the countertop pieces at the local cabinet shop. The owner says they collect a stack and throw them in the dumpster. As an aside, I have made a lathe stand, cutoff saw stand, drill press/bandsaw table, router/planer table from the pieces.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Most of the purchased models are very low to the ground and add little to no height. The DIY ones can add several inches depending on the plan, wood used and caster size. Consider that whichever way you go.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I buy the manufactured ones when they go on sale and basically use them for parts, many of them are pretty flimsy for a heavy tools but if you have a welder you can beef them up.

I like them because they don't raise the machine height that much, being 5' 7" that is important, 6' 3" then maybe not.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #12 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
I just bought one from Harbor Freight for around $30. It will support up to 300 lbs. You need to add your own wood rails. I installed my floor standing drill press on it. I've got a couple of sets of plans from magazine articles...SHOPNOTES and WOOD. I can give you the magazine editions. If it's allowable, I can scan and email the magazine plans to you. I had bought a stand for my table saw several years ago for a lot more $ than the HF but it came with metal rails.

I did the HF kit too, but used metal rails. Worked out well.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 AM

View rennenbay88's Photo Album My Photos
I am subscribed to Matthias on youtube, he comes up with clever solutions when a problem arises. One of which may be perfect for your situation.

hes been a huge inspiration to me, truly amazing watching him work.
Tony B likes this.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
if you have uneven floors, opt for the larger wheels, probably 2" min.

have a delta under my bandsaw, as it came with. I like it, hard to beat. I think kit wise, you would only be saving the wood/stretcher part of the deal, but have enormous custom capability.

let us see your final decision...
post #15 of 23 Old 03-08-2019, 02:37 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Built mine, worked out well.
Pics:
1) saw as received
2) Basic construction
3)Semi-finished (still haven't added the bottom drawers)
4)top drawer is sawdust catcher
5) first project with new saw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	372741  

Name:	IMG_6496.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	372743  

Name:	IMG_6535.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	372745  

Name:	IMG_6536.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	372747  

Name:	IMG_6579.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	372749  

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-08-2019, 02:48 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Greyhound for starting this thread. I was going to on the same subject, but never got around to it. Lot of good ideas presented. I currently have my contractor saw on locking swivel castors in the back and regular castors in the front. All mounted to a sheet of plywood, much like some of the examples above. Then the legs of the TS are merely bolted to plywood.

Anyway, the problem is the floor is so unleveled in places that all the rollers don't make contact well. So there's a wobble sometimes. I don't mind the increase in height, but I would like to make a mobile base like on my 15" Planer. It has two rollers (wide) in the back and a wheel, with a foot plate to raise it off the wheel, in the front. Any ideas where to get one of those. I have tons of uni-strut so all I would have to buy is the angle plates and wheels. I have plenty of 1/2" bolts and spring nuts for the job. If I knew what rod and conditions to use on that mild of steel I would try to weld it. I inherited my Dad's Lincoln 220 AC welder, but every time he tried to weld the strut for me, it would burn through. And I believe he went down to 60A setting where it would stick sometimes. So I'll probably just bolt it together.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-08-2019, 03:46 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Thanks Greyhound for starting this thread. I was going to on the same subject, but never got around to it. Lot of good ideas presented. I currently have my contractor saw on locking swivel castors in the back and regular castors in the front. All mounted to a sheet of plywood, much like some of the examples above. Then the legs of the TS are merely bolted to plywood.

Anyway, the problem is the floor is so unleveled in places that all the rollers don't make contact well. So there's a wobble sometimes. I don't mind the increase in height, but I would like to make a mobile base like on my 15" Planer. It has two rollers (wide) in the back and a wheel, with a foot plate to raise it off the wheel, in the front. Any ideas where to get one of those. I have tons of uni-strut so all I would have to buy is the angle plates and wheels. I have plenty of 1/2" bolts and spring nuts for the job. If I knew what rod and conditions to use on that mild of steel I would try to weld it. I inherited my Dad's Lincoln 220 AC welder, but every time he tried to weld the strut for me, it would burn through. And I believe he went down to 60A setting where it would stick sometimes. So I'll probably just bolt it together.
6013 rod, 75-90 amps AC should work for mild steel of that thickness.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchymist For This Useful Post:
djg (03-08-2019)
post #18 of 23 Old 03-09-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Joel / Junior Member

I read all of your posts, and wanted to say thank you to all for your suggestions. As a beginning woodworker, I'm worried about trying to create something that takes me too far out of my comfort zone... but I'm definitely willing to try.

I thought about buying a kit from HF, but to be honest, the wheels are what I think would be the problem for me. My garage floor isn't great ... not terrible, but just not the smoothest of surfaces.

I've decided to build my own base out of 3/4" plywood (two layers thick for strength) and use heavy duty casters from Home Depot. They're 3" wheels, and the total height is 4" for the unit. (I have the 4" wheel versions on my workbench and a cabinet that is a catchall storage area. They work great, and their brakes are STRONG!)

Add in the two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood, and I'm looking at a height gain of 5.5 inches. It's definitely going to be taller than I'm used to, but I'm 6' 1", so I should be okay. If it feels too high, I'll see if I can modify it somehow, but I really do think I'll be alright.

I'll try to take some pictures as I go and post here later... or at least a picture when I'm done.

Thanks again to all for your ideas!

-Joel

post #19 of 23 Old 03-12-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Joel / Junior Member

UPDATE

I built a base for the table saw. It's two thicknesses of 3/4 plywood (for extra strength due to the weight), and the casters are placed so that one of the caster mounting holes goes into the foot hole on the table saw.

Everything went together perfect. After moving everything around a bit, I realized ..... I really don't like it.

It's very top heavy, and the center of gravity has now been thrown off. If I try to rock it from front to back (mimicking pushing wood through the blade), it's fine. But when rocking it gently from side to side, it feels as if it could go over to the right side. I know it's not actually close to tipping without exerting quite a bit of force, but it's uncomfortable enough for me to say to do to a redesign... especially with a three year old daughter that likes to hang out in the shop with me.

So I have a NEW plan that should be better. This new design will give me a wider footprint so that there's less of a tippy feeling, and it'll only be 1" off the ground... even when using 3" casters.

Stay tuned. I'm hoping to get the new design built up this weekend. (I'll probably end up making a new thread if it works.)

-Joel

post #20 of 23 Old 03-13-2019, 04:39 AM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
For what it is worth, my (much) preferred height for a table saw is 33", which is 1" above my palm height with relaxed shoulders. So I end up taking saws off their stands or lower cabinets. I think palm height is better for comparisons than overall height.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...-floor-123394/
GreyhoundGuy likes this.

Last edited by unburled; 03-13-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode