dipping in paint tool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
dipping in paint tool

In another week or two I will have almost 150 Tree ornaments turned. They are made of either Bass or yellow Poplar. It will take forever to pain them with a brush or rattle can. I have attached a # 4 wood screw to the end of a rod. My plan is to turn the screw into the base of the piece, dip it in slightly thinned white latex pain, spin it to spin off excess and then set the rod in a hole in a wooden block while the piece dries. I have seen it done this way in some videos of toy operations. The problem is that I will need a few dozen such rods to process the group in batches. I have been told there are commercially available thin wire rods with ends threaded for screw threads. I just can't find them anywhere. Any suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to holtzdreher For This Useful Post:
13579 (08-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 11:21 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
this looks to be semi-economical
at 6" length, cut in half to 3"?

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...0UU/ref=sr_1_1

also
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/47537

4-40 threaded rod is on Home Depot's web site, but looks to be "not available"
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
bicycle spokes ?
they are threaded on one end, but don't know the size.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 08-29-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Guys, my pieces are too small to be running a no 4 bolt thread into the wood. A No 4 screw thread isn't nearly so large. The Bike spoke may be the ticket. And cheap enough when I see an old bike out in the trash. Now that I am looking for one though.....
post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
if you have not drilled the holes and you have a full letter/number drill index,,,,,

the insulation wires that spring between joists would be my first try. no threads, push firm, threads may not be needed.
cut to length, minor touch up on side cutter ears for diameter....

2mm machine threaded @ 0.0787" might fit (already?) drilled holes.

btw, a #4 wood screw shank = diameter as #4 machine screw.
the wood screw has a tapered point, machine screws don't.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 06:14 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
In another week or two I will have almost 150 Tree ornaments turned. They are made of either Bass or yellow Poplar. It will take forever to pain them with a brush or rattle can. I have attached a # 4 wood screw to the end of a rod. My plan is to turn the screw into the base of the piece, dip it in slightly thinned white latex pain, spin it to spin off excess and then set the rod in a hole in a wooden block while the piece dries. I have seen it done this way in some videos of toy operations. The problem is that I will need a few dozen such rods to process the group in batches. I have been told there are commercially available thin wire rods with ends threaded for screw threads. I just can't find them anywhere. Any suggestions?
Seek rods without threads and thread the ends with a die. Should not be a strenuous task. Steel rod comes in a large number of diameters. Big box stores have some sizes. Dies are not expensive. You then get what you want. Tom K

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
holtzdreher - yeap, that's the way it goes !!
the trash guy just picked up 4 old kids bikes and
a few wheels across the street from me this morning.
if I had known you needed this item, I could have very quickly
cut the spokes out with the angle grinder and removed them in minutes.
now that I see there may be a use for old spokes, I will start saving some.
best of luck in your neighborhood !!
check your local bike shop, they might have a bucket full of old spokes
where they replace them for new ones.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 06:39 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
Thanks. Guys, my pieces are too small to be running a no 4 bolt thread into the wood. A No 4 screw thread isn't nearly so large. The Bike spoke may be the ticket. And cheap enough when I see an old bike out in the trash. Now that I am looking for one though.....
Wait, what? A number 4 wood screw is the same size, diameter wise, as a 4-40 machine thread. Both are .116 major diameter, though woodscrews have a looser tolerance

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Maybe the shank above the threads but the tapered tip on the No 4 wood screw is much narrower. Maybe Lowes had them marked incorrectly. I am only interested in the 1/8 inch or so at the tip.

Another possibility is to drill a hole through an acorn nut (1/4 x 20) and drop the no 4 screw into the acorn nut and then run the nut onto a same size bolt with the head cut off. I can grind the head of the No 4 screw slightly beveled and do the same to the bolt end, so the screw will not rotate once the acorn nut is up tight. (Got the idea from an old body shop tool I had laying around the barn for pulling dents.)

As far as the tempered wire to hold insulation, I just gave a box of them away to a guy a few months ago. I will see if he can spare a couple. Hate to be an indian giver though.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Just an update: I also made some very small wooden parts for the scenes on some music boxes. I found that a 1/8 inch hole in the bottom of the light pieces was a perfect tight friction fit for bamboo skewers my wife had in the kitchen. I "skewered" some and dipped them in Bullseye sanding sealer. and then stand the skewer in a block of wood with holes drilled in it. I tried dipping them in lacquer, but the stuff dripped forever and the lacquer raises the grain enough to require another sanding.. Next I will try dipping the sealed pieces in paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode