Dining room table made out of cherry - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

View OakTableN00b's Photo Album My Photos
Dining room table made out of cherry

If you were to make a dining room table, say 45" x 96"... what sized stock would you use? I'm leaning towards 5/4 x 6" (5.5").

I will be making it out of cherry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 05:26 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would make it out of the size stock that is available. I would have no particularly preference for 5/4 or other thicker stock. I would want the width of the planks to vary if I was making the top out of solid wood.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
OakTableN00b (08-15-2016)
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I would make it out of the size stock that is available. I would have no particularly preference for 5/4 or other thicker stock. I would want the width of the planks to vary if I was making the top out of solid wood.

George
Interesting, may I ask why you would want the width of the planks to vary? Is it strictly due to character and aesthetics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakTableN00b View Post
Interesting, may I ask why you would want the width of the planks to vary? Is it strictly due to character and aesthetics?
Yes and when joints are consistant in spacing your eye will pick that up quickly....or at least a trained eye will. Looks more professional also!!
GeorgeC likes this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 10:20 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Depends on the design of the table. Most tables are made with 4/4 but some designs would look bad with that thin of wood.

When you are working the table keep it covered with blankets or black plastic to keep the sun off of it until you put a finish on it. Cherry can turn noticeably darker in as little as 30 minutes in direct sun. I saw a guy leave a saw blade on a sheet of cherry plywood one time during lunch and when he came back you could see the outline of the blade in the sheet.
Tennessee Tim likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
OakTableN00b (08-16-2016)
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 11:02 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The design of the table can dictate the thickness of a table top.
A harvest table may have 1 1/2" or thicker top.
A top for a Duncan Phyfe table may be only 3/4".
You should always adhere to the original design to some degree to keep the table from looking home made. You start to feel you're finally getting pretty good as a furniture maker when your work no longer looks home made.
A quick I D of the furniture you've made yourself by a novice is no compliment.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Depends on the design of the table. Most tables are made with 4/4 but some designs would look bad with that thin of wood.

When you are working the table keep it covered with blankets or black plastic to keep the sun off of it until you put a finish on it. Cherry can turn noticeably darker in as little as 30 minutes in direct sun. I saw a guy leave a saw blade on a sheet of cherry plywood one time during lunch and when he came back you could see the outline of the blade in the sheet.
I'm a very rigid planner, having it perfectly random is painful for me, so pardon me if it sounds like I'm over thinking it. What would be the widest and thinnest boards you would use? An assortment of 3.5", 4.5", 5.5", and 7.5"? I feel like 2.5" boards are too thin an would be annoying to work with since it will take a lot of these boards to make up the entire table (3.5" may be pushing it). Any downside to using 9.5" boards?

What do you guys think?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-16-2016, 12:44 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Red face

Quote:
I'm a very rigid planner, having it perfectly random is painful for me, so pardon me if it sounds like I'm over thinking it. What would be the widest and thinnest boards you would use? An assortment of 3.5", 4.5", 5.5", and 7.5"? I feel like 2.5" boards are too thin an would be annoying to work with since it will take a lot of these boards to make up the entire table (3.5" may be pushing it). Any downside to using 9.5" boards?

What do you guys think?
Stay with your original plan in your first post. That will be fine.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-16-2016, 12:45 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

What do you guys think?
Any assortment of 3 to 4 inches difference would be good.

George
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

What do you guys think?
The width of the boards isn't so important, in fact using more narrow boards usually makes for a more stable top than wide ones. Still you can't just glue them together at random you need to alternate the end grain and select boards for grain and color and glue them together book matched to where the grain of one board seems to flow into the one next to it.

As far as thickness if you are making a traditional table then 3/4" is an appropriate thickness for the top. Usually on a farm type table the tops run 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" thick. It just depends on the design.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 AM

View woodcore's Photo Album My Photos
Just use whatever is readily available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode