Desperate for advice! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Carpenter & Joiner

View Develin's Photo Album My Photos
Desperate for advice!

My wife has sadly developed quite a serious heart condition and in order to spend more time looking after her I've decided to work less and let my company go to my business partner and I'm setting up in my very small garage with leftover machines from my old shop.

Name:  IMG_20140810_155717.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  64.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20140810_155924.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20140810_160005.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  43.0 KB

I have a ripping table saw a crosscut table saw and a cabinet saw with a ply wood blade. I have a morticer and a spindle moulder and a bandsaw and some other usual tools.

I can produce joinery and furniture but as of now I have no work in. I have some money for my shares to cover me for a while and I'm feeling quite daunted with where to start and what to make? When I started out it was easy to advertise, you would just put an ad in the newspaper but that was years ago and now it's a different ball game.

Does anyone have any advice at all for me?

Cover anything you feel is relevant... from finance to contracts or work flow on projects. I've never worked solo or in such a small space before. Any tips are VERY welcome.

wiltshirebuildingmaintenance.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Well sir I don't know where to start. I'm puzzled why your wife's health issues require you to quit your job? Wouldn't money coming in be important now?

Most of us are here in the States. Our advise may not apply.

Sorry about you situation, sorry I cant help.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would recommend antique repair and refinishing. It's more labor than overhead and the work is sold before you start. You can spend a lot of time making things to sell but it seems like more things don't sell than do. I didn't know very much about the finishing part of it when I started but asked a lot of questions and didn't take very long to make a go of it. I wanted to make new furniture and things but opened my business at a antique flea market and there was more call for repairing furniture than new stuff. It wasn't long before I was doing work for many of the dealers there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
I would recommend antique repair and refinishing. It's more labor than overhead and the work is sold before you start. You can spend a lot of time making things to sell but it seems like more things don't sell than do. I didn't know very much about the finishing part of it when I started but asked a lot of questions and didn't take very long to make a go of it. I wanted to make new furniture and things but opened my business at a antique flea market and there was more call for repairing furniture than new stuff. It wasn't long before I was doing work for many of the dealers there.
Great post. Good thinking.

Al

post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Carpenter & Joiner

That's brilliant! Thanks!

My wife is quite weak and she needs help to walk to the toilet and cut bread. She doesn't have the strength and if it's in my power to do it myself instead of a random nurse she doesn't know then yeah. Over here (in England) 180 dollars is the average daily wage of a good woodworker and I dont have a mortgage or rent any more so all my bills are about 800 dollars... so I know if I can get the work I can get by comfortably.

I just don't know what buy these days because I don't have space to make roofs and stairs anymore which was a lot of my custom. Antiques seems like something worth looking into aswell! My grandfather restored antiques once. Funny thing is that's what got me into woodwork, working with him on old stuff (:

Maybe if people aren't sure what to write I haven't asked the right questions...

post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 04:39 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
here it's called "repurposing"

Recycling or repurposing is to take an already made piece and reconstruct it to make it into a different application.
Make a dresser into separate end tables..... take leaded glass windows and make a table.... etc here's some examples:
http://www.hgtv.com/decorating-basic...res/index.html

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...urniture+ideas

best of luck to you!

Childrens play sets made from scaled down adult size pieces. Easy, colorful ...

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-11-2014 at 04:43 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
In The U.S. It's Called Antique Repair/Refinishing

It's actually a very lucrative art form/business if you are good at it. It has a high referral rate, and from what I can tell there's not a lot of competition.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Carpenter & Joiner

I will have to do more research to see if I have the skills and space required. I did used to make clocks years ago so maybe I could mix the two and see if many antique clocks need attention...

Thanks for reaffirming the antiques restoration cabinetman, I appreciate the responses greatly!

Is there any money in wood turning things? I know how to make flutes and whistles and pens and all the like... someone told me the money is poor but I suppose I don't need much.

Another thing I thought was doing advanced joinery demonstrations at woodworking shows and selling pieces I've made... whatever they may be.

Anyone got any ideas on these? Am I clutching at straws or money? Haahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode