Delta Drive Belt blues - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

View jjconvery's Photo Album My Photos
Post Delta Drive Belt blues

Have an older Delta model 34-625 contractor saw whose drive belt gave up the ghost ripping some pressure treated boards for a new trellis. Ordered a new belt online and it seems to be the right size albeit a little wider and the saw compatibility data on the packaging includes my saw model number but I can't get the new belt on my spindles. I've boiled it and used various lubes but can't quite seem to get enough stretch to get the belt to slip over both spindles. Am obviously doing something wrong and would appreciate any help. Really don't want to tear down the whole saw but am getting way behind on some projects and need to get this puppy back online. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
New belts are notoriously tight. You may have to loosen the motor to get it on.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
You may either need to unbolt the motor, or remove the pulley on the motor.

Perhaps the belt is a tad under length.

I sympathize with you. I recently wanted to replace a belt on my tractor as pro-active maintenance. I could not get the old one off. Insufficient movement on the alternator, and could not remove the alternator because the long bolt interferred with the radiator, so would not completely remove.

I ended up leaving the old belt in place, and now keep my fingers crossed it does not break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Go to one of your local automobile parts houses. They carry a large assortment of belts and will probably have one to fit your motor.

However, I have never owned any belt driven equipment where something in the system was not adjustable. You should be able to loosen something and then retighten after installing the belt.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Send it back and buy one of the upgrade kits that include new steel pulleys and a link belt.

It is probably a good time to install a set of pals, and do a good cleaning and tuneup to make sure the blade, miter slot, and fence are lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #6 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
They're not the same as fractional HP belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Go to one of your local automobile parts houses. They carry a large assortment of belts and will probably have one to fit your motor.

However, I have never owned any belt driven equipment where something in the system was not adjustable. You should be able to loosen something and then retighten after installing the belt.

George
Small motors or fractional HP, Use a 4L series belt and the pulley"V" grooves are designed for that shape belt.
Automotive "V" belts have a slightly different shape and are not interchangeable, unless as a short term fix. AFAIK
I tried to find the exact description but this is the best I could come up with Classical vs Fractional:
http://vbeltindia.com/Classical_V_Belts.html
and this:
http://www.crossbelts.com/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

View jjconvery's Photo Album My Photos
Delta drive belt issues solved

Thanks to all the individuals who posted solutions. What finally worked was a friend forcing the belt behind the arbor pulley until it was almost folded in half which gave us almost enough room to get the belt started on the motor spline. The final assist came from my sailing days which involved looping a line around the inside of the belt and leveraging the belt to stretch a little and engage the motor spline. In sailing, it's called kedging where you take an anchor astern of a boat that has run aground and winch yourself free. Once the belt got started, rotating the the arbor pulley with a 1" socket and ratchet to free the line and fully engage the belt on both pulleys. I now know way more that I want to know about old Delta table saws.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode