dedicated mortiser vs router table? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

View Jeff Shafer's Photo Album My Photos
dedicated mortiser vs router table?

So I'm just wondering what people have and what set up you feel works better. I've been cutting mortises with my router freehand and am considering a table with fence, then I thought would a dedicated mortiser be better. Help me out of the hole please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
puffessional Scrabbleist

View TonyM's Photo Album My Photos
Silver Fox w1671

I have one of these and find the longer I have it the easier it is to plan projects around. Almost everybody has a tool they don't like using. My nemesis is the router. I use the router but I prefer the SF.

TonyM
post #3 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I don't use the router table

I do have other methods, a bench top mortiser and a self centering router jig. I used both on rather large projects and I prefer the hand held router and jig in these photos: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...on-quilt-rack/

and the bench top here:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/mi...d-build-37911/

The router removes a large amount of wood rapidly, but it take a bit of setting up for the lengths. The bench top can just mortise to marked line, which is easier.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think they're a replacement for each other. Mortiser makes much easier work of deep structural mortises......router with a jig or table makes much easier work of longer mortises.

However.....if I had to choose just one....i'd take my mortiser
post #5 of 15 Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
The right wing of my table saw has a router mounted under it. This is a convenient arrangement because I can just use the saw fence with it. I'll make long shallow mortises with it using a straight cutter.

For deeper mortises, I have an old drill press that is permanently converted to a hollow chisel mortiser. For larger mortises I use the big drill press with an appropriately sized fortsner bit and then clean it up with chisels.

I cut the tenons in a variety of ways but for any quantity I've got a special sled for one of my table saws which utilizes two dedicated 8" saw blades with various pre-cut spacers between them. It will quickly cut perfect width tenons and is easy to set back up for picking up ones that you may have missed or need to re-do.

Bret
post #6 of 15 Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
i have been considering building a pantorouter. they are very versatile.

http://woodgears.ca/pantorouter/index.html
post #7 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM

View ScottE's Photo Album My Photos
The hollow chisel mortiser is going to cut perfectly sized mortises every time. The router won't. If you get set up with a way to cut perfect tenons right off the tool the combination makes things really fast. I used a table top mortiser for a few years and then bought a Woodtek floor mortiser with a sliding table. That was a big jump up in speed and accuracy. The Powermatic floor mortiser is garbage, stay away from that one.

ScottE
CustomFurniture.us
post #8 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
This is my flavor of the day. I like cutting loose tenons by cutting mortises on both pieces. Built 6 dining chairs and two bar stools using this method.

Nails only hold themselves.

Name:  image-3711965720.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  18.9 KB

These cuts are made lightning fast and can be easily dialed in to fractions of an inch.

Name:  image-679403769.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  27.4 KB

All these different mortises were made with the machine and the cuts come out perfect.

Al
Attached Images

Last edited by Al B Thayer; 11-22-2013 at 10:59 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE
. The Powermatic floor mortiser is garbage, stay away from that one.
Interesting statement...care to expand on it?

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #10 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
looks OK to me

I have the bench top Powermatic 701 and it got the best rating for it's class.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM

View bladeburner's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Woodrat for cutting the mortises for floating tenons and it also makes short work of integral tenons when I use them. And a Steel City benchtop mortiser when I want square edged mortises. So for me, no single tool does it all, but I could be personally happy to use nothing but floating tenons.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeburner
I have a Woodrat for cutting the mortises for floating tenons and it also makes short work of integral tenons when I use them. And a Steel City benchtop mortiser when I want square edged mortises. So for me, no single tool does it all, but I could be personally happy to use nothing but floating tenons.
I like the floating tenons too. But they double the glue up time.

Al

post #13 of 15 Old 11-23-2013, 02:20 AM

View ScottE's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Interesting statement...care to expand on it?
All of the parts are pretty flimsy on the Powermatic. I've seen the cast iron table break where the material clamp is bolted on it. Having worked on the PM and the Woodtek both, I think that the Woodtek is beefier in all respects than the PM. The price was similar when I bought mine. The one caution with the Woodtek is that when I went to pick up a machine I checked the milled cast iron table to see if the integral fence was square to the table. It wasn't on the first one I checked. It was perfect on the one I bought. If the fence isn't square, neither are your mortises. I've been using this machine in a full time wood shop for 16 years without a problem. Love it.

ScottE
CustomFurniture.us
post #14 of 15 Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

View Jeff Shafer's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, this is all great stuff fellas! But I've got a my Bench Dog pro top router table at will call to pick up tomorrow. I think it will serve my purposes for the time being. BTW Al your set up is really unique, did you design it yourself or are there plans for that some where?
post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer
Wow, this is all great stuff fellas! But I've got a my Bench Dog pro top router table at will call to pick up tomorrow. I think it will serve my purposes for the time being. BTW Al your set up is really unique, did you design it yourself or are there plans for that some where?
Thanks for the kind words. There are hundreds of plans on the net like this one. I bought a plan but tabled it and designed it myself. I used the concept from the plan. My bearings and rails are better than most. The router assembly is all my idea.

Bench Dog is a great idea for a router table.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode