Deck frame not straight - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

View Ashor Benjamin's Photo Album My Photos
Deck frame not straight

Hi all, Iím new to wood work and to this forum. I got some guys to build a deck for me, they weíre taking too long so I decided to finish it myself. They put the frame, joists and I added for blocks and now got to the part where I need to lay my decking timber. I noticed at the end of the deck, the timber / frame is not straight, itís about 40mm off. Whatís the best way to fix this or hide it. I've attached a photo
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 06:54 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Any chance you could share another picture from the sliding doors looking at the front edge of the deck? Another picture straight on would be helpful as well.

There can be a few ways to deal with this but I can't see enough from the pic to offer any useful advice yet.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 08:25 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
40mm is a little too much but they built it that way on purpose so water would drain away from the house. It's shouldn't be made completely level.

As far as a fix I think I would need another picture farther back two where I can see it all. From what I can see in the picture the 2x4 framing next to the house needs to be torn out. It's regular dimension lumber instead of treated wood like it should be. The non-treated wood will rot away within a couple years and unless it's a second story deck will draw termites to your house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for looking at this guys

The timber is treated H3.2, so it's good for outdoor. I'm in New Zealand BTW

I've added a few more photos, see attached. The difference is about 48mm between corners to house. I'm thinking of just adding a 48mm piece of timber next to the post where the gap will be when I put my facia timber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9426_1514877282149.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	332426  

Attached Images

post #5 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 06:41 AM
J_L

Thanks for the additional pics. I'd remove the blocking, move the outer joist until it's sitting straight, then recut and reinstall the blocking.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 07:32 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
Thanks for the additional pics. I'd remove the blocking, move the outer joist until it's sitting straight, then recut and reinstall the blocking.
Yes, this is the best method. Always make the outermost part look correct. This is the part most visible.

Then you can rip the piece next to the house so that it fits correctly in its position.

George
post #7 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Like I said earlier the deck is suppose to run downhill away from the house so you don't have water stand on the deck. Even though it has a roof covering there will be times you have rain blow underneath and it would be good if it drained off on it's own.

The deck framing also shouldn't sit on the ground. There should also be a grade there so water doesn't stand under the deck. If water stands the humidity from a puddle will cause the decking to warp and twist. Then if the framing and decking isn't treated wood then you are asking for termites.

You might check the roof framing. The posts appear to be out of plumb and the rafters appear not to be level running downhill away from the house. While functionally not an issue I don't think you want to finish the project with these issues.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 12:02 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If you lay a level acros the frame of the deck you want to be certain there is a slight slope and the house side is the high side. Otherwise you get mold, mildew and smell. You donít want that.
The webbed foundation might hold moisture. The blocking should have been turned on itís side and raised up off the patio to allow for drainage in my opinion.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I think that the problem is that it looks like he is trying to build a wooden deck and not let it get any higher that the floor inside the house. This does not allow him any way to put blocks under the matrix that was built.

It seems that he hired some people who did not know what they were doing and were just too slow. Now he is trying to complete a project that never got off to a good start. To really solve the problems mentioned above he would just have to junk the matrix base and start over again.

Also, I cannot tell from the pictures, are the support posts resting on the concrete patio or are they resting on top of the deck matrix?

George
post #10 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 03:46 PM

View leathermaneod's Photo Album My Photos
Iím really confused about the purpose of this ďdeckĒ. Looks like itís sitting on a very nice concrete patio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #11 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

So, theyve put Packers under the frame to lift it off the concrete and level it. They should've used U brackets or "shoes" not sure what you guys call it there. I'm okay with packers, they didn't have a lot of space to work with as you can see the deck is very low. The rafters of the pergola are fine, maybe they don't look it in the photo.

To take out that last joist, I need to remove 3 bolts and drill new holes, that's a bit of work and I don't have a lot of experience in doing something like this.

See attached photo, this is what I have in mind to fix this issue. Decking screws won't line up at the end, they might be on an angle but I'll try my best to screw them all in one line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9429_1514932479844.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	332666  

post #12 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Not the most elegant solution but I would suggest you fasten a narrower rail on the inside of the new board you have added and screw into that, additionally toenail the decking to the original stringer, even just on the one edge that is accessible.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #13 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
there are a whole bunch of stringers from the wall to the outer edge . . . are they all 40mm out of square or just the last one? or did it go wonky somewhere in the middle?

if they are all out of square, is the house corner square?

if the whole thing is 40mm out of square, short of tearing it all out and redoing it correctly . . . .
either fix the last one, or pad / build it out as you've shown. circular saw & a guide, you could so a tapered piece so the end screws line up pretty - or dado a slot into the stringer and notch the planking to fit, add some construction adhesive . . . look Ma - no screws!

having the nail / screw lines 40mm out of whack all down the deck would drive me up the wall.

are the packer/shims also H3.2? if they are some flavor of unknown wood, they'll rot out (much?) quicker than the H3.2 - that would be a major concern for me - the floor would sag in odd spots.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-05-2018, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tom. The only joist / blank (Not sure what it's called) thats on on an angle is the last one, so the corner that's by the house is further in. The space gradually gets bigger until the corner where the post is. That's about 50mm difference. See attached photo, I put a temp timber facia to show you where that joist needed to be to make it straight.

As you suggested I can put an extra plank and screw it in to the joist. I then can try and line up my screws correctly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9433_1515143269926.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	333106  

Name:	IMG_9432_1515143301083.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	333114  

post #15 of 20 Old 01-05-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Ah also, the packers are not timber, so not worried about that much. They're made from plastic or similar material, they can be used for this type of application.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
shimming out the last stringer looks like the best fix to me - when all done the fix will be invisible.

looks like the last one is bolted to the concrete? good idea but complicates moving it.

good news on the packers - I like the "covered porch idea" - nifty add-on.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-05-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Yup the whole frame is bolted, and moving the last stringer is just going to be a lot of work.

I can use the same packers to fill the gap but I need something to fill the 50mm gap and around as it's too big. Any ideas what I can use?
post #18 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on the project. Thanks for all your help and support. I managed to complete the deck and changed all the bench top timber as well.

You learn alot when you do it yourself! Here's some photos.

Next step is to stain it, then make a few planters from all the leftover timber.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9661_1517635314466.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	339097  

Name:	IMG_9658_1517635347924.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	339105  

Name:	IMG_9657_1517635385062.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	339113  

Name:	IMG_9659_1517635437320.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	339121  

Name:	IMG_9660_1517635464456.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	339129  

post #19 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 06:12 AM
J_L

Nice looking job! Thanks for the follow up post.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I've got to give you credit @Ashor Benjamin for not only fixing a bad job done by someone else but for finishing it so quickly.
The metric measurements, though . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode