Decent, but affordable palm/orbital sander suggestions? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

View brandall's Photo Album My Photos
Decent, but affordable palm/orbital sander suggestions?

I'm looking to get a small sander, whether it be a palm or orbital sander. But I don't really have much of a budget to work with. So I'm looking for suggestions of sanders that I can get through HD or Lowes(as I need it for this weekend) that won't break the bank, but also won't BREAK after two days of use.

I don't have a specific price point in mind, other than "good value for not much money". So any suggestions are definitely welcome. Thanks!

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM

View preacherman's Photo Album My Photos
I buy things like this at pawn shops. The ones in my area always have several laying on the shelves. I just picked up an almost new dewalt palm sander with box for 25 including tax. So you might want to check some of those out.
As far as brands think dewalt, porter cable and Bosch are good but I have a little B&D that I have had for years and still use on every project. So tools like this are not thing I spend much money on.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I didn't even think of pawn shops. We have several here in Nashville(howdy neighbor), but I've never been to any of them.

We also have a Harbor Freight that has some good prices, but they aren't big on advertising the brand. Is their stuff a good quality?

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Porter Cable 5in model 391 or something similar, this became the DeWalt D26456.

Low vibration, good dust collection, variable speed, not very loud and keeps on ticking. I would buy this again.

For some reason the sites are showing out of stock, so I do not know if this is now being phased out. Shame. Good tool if you can find one.

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-...rbital-sanders
post #5 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall View Post
Thanks. I didn't even think of pawn shops. We have several here in Nashville(howdy neighbor), but I've never been to any of them.

We also have a Harbor Freight that has some good prices, but they aren't big on advertising the brand. Is their stuff a good quality?

Brent
Harbor Freight sells based on low price. You decide if the quality is adequate for your needs.

I only buy consumables from HF. Some folks consider certain of their tools to be consumable.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Harbor Freight sells based on low price. You decide if the quality is adequate for your needs.

I only buy consumables from HF. Some folks consider certain of their tools to be consumable.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I know that I compared reviews for a product at Lowes and similar priced items at Harbor Freight, and the HF stuff seemed to get better reviews. Of course, the standard of quality might have been different between clientele, but I don't know.

If anyone has any other specific model suggestions, I'm more than open to them! I won't be sanding any large pieces or a deck or anything. Just some small furniture pieces most of the time.

Brent
post #7 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

What about Craftsman sanders? I always forget about checking Sears, but maybe something like this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-in-...3&blockType=G3

Thoughts?

Brent
post #8 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
Look for sales. I picked up a B&D ROS for $19.95 in an unadvertised special at Zellers. I went in to buy socks...
post #9 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM

View wood_chucker's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on pawn shops everyone around here you go into has shelves full of em for like 10 to 15 bucks mostly. I juts got a nice older craftsman belt sander from one for 25 bucks!
post #10 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I called a local pawn shop and they had this black and decker sander for about $12:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RO100-5-Inch-Random/dp/B0000302V3/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I don't know the condition of it yet though. They also had a Ryobi for $10, but I forget the model number.

Is that Black And Decker one a good deal?

Brent
post #11 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Not really a palm sander, but I like the Rigid zrr260. Does a great job. Not all that expensive, either. IIRC, around $50 at HD.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #12 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I used the craftsman above for years until I bought my dewalt lo pro. It's a good unit for the price.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #13 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall
I called a local pawn shop and they had this black and decker sander for about $12:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RO100-5-Inch-Random/dp/B0000302V3/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't know the condition of it yet though. They also had a Ryobi for $10, but I forget the model number.

Is that Black And Decker one a good deal?

Brent
What's the worst that happens for 12 bucks.... You don't like it and sell it on Craigslist for 10 bucks?

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #14 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I used the craftsman above for years until I bought my dewalt lo pro. It's a good unit for the price.
You mean the one I linked to that the pawn shop had?

And yes, you're right, at worst I'm out 12 bucks or I lose a couple of bucks. I guess I just want to search twice, buy once, to paraphrase the words of many wisemen.

And with the 20 bucks I save, I can get a small pocket hole jig or something else useful, eh?

Brent
post #15 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
I have a pair of Bosch ROS20VS's - One for each hand so I get done faster Actually, I use one with coarse paper and the other with fine. That makes for far fewer paper changes as I've found that the hook-and-loop was losing it's grip before the abrasive was worn out. Now one sander usually has 120 paper on it and the other has 220 so I rarely change the discs unless the abrasive is worn out.

I kind of stumbled into this system by accident. My first Bosch had its hook and loop pad go bad right near the end of a project and the sanding discs kept being Frisbee's. Until I got another pad, I headed to Lowes and picked up a second identical sander as I liked the first a lot. Now that the first has a fresh pad, I use the system above.

Bill
post #16 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
I can't recommend a particular brand for a palm style RO sander. I can tell you my PC 333 hasn't been great. Here is a picture of underneath the sanding pad. This O ring type belt is what imparts the RO function. There is simply a bushing screwed into the dust shroud with a tiny screw, into thin plastic. I've blown a half dozen of those O rings and they aren't easy to find. Before I buy another sander of this type, I want to see under the sanding pad. I also have a gear driven right angle PC and that's a great sander, more expensive but I can also do auto detailing and finish buffing with it, along with the proper bonnets. I would not buy a sander without random orbit.
http://www.portercable.com//ProductI.../343VSK_F8.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC 333 sander belt.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	61604  

post #17 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
I have two Rockwells that are quite a bit better than my first couple of Dewalts.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
New sander

When my Porter Cable orbital sander bit the dust, I got one from Harbor Freight while it was being fixed. Not as good as the Porter Cable, but it works fine and about 1/5th the cost; fine for an entry level sander.

Bandman
post #19 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Dewalt orbital sander that has worked great for me over the past year or so. I use it a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode