Woodworking Talk banner

Dealing with hot glue.

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  homestd 
#1 ·
I finally broke down and bought a decent hot glue gun, as apposed to the little thing I have been using for years. This week I had the first opportunity to us it. My question is who among you use a glue gun, and for what and application tips. Also, what is your method of un-doing what you just glued with it. Thanks all.

#3 ·
Gluing pieces into my router sled.

let the glue get runny before using it. Its not strong when it first starts to ooze.

Its strong enough you dont have to go all around, just couple inch runs on each side of the piece.

Slice the piece off the base with a thin wallpaper scraper. Same with the piece itself. Any bits that resist the scraper, dont dig into the wood, just use a thumbnail and it will roll off. In a final resort if there are still traces left behind (rare, but it can happen) sandpaper removes it.

if you have a complicated build you can use the glue to hold bits together and vertical while marking out

#4 ·
I just started using a glue gun 60/100W and it works great. I'm using it when I'm face jointing stock using my thickness planer and sled to attach the stock and shims to the sled. Some of the YouTube videos on using the sled advised to use a heat gun to undo the glue but IMO that just made a sticky mess. I just use a putty knife to break the seal and remove the glue. Easy.

#6 ·
I never used a glue gun until the last few years. Its just like a Dremel. Uses seem to crop up all the time. All sorts of things.

Reactions: homestd
#7 ·
Example of a non wood working application. Removed motor fan from a 1 HP metal lathe. Fan was really stuck on the shaft hard so I used a puller. Fan pulled off easily but the hub did not. Cheaply made fan with a hub that was pressed on the disk. Made a new hub, had to get the hub centered on the fan. I installed a piece of scrap round stock that was turned to the same diameter as the motor shaft in the chuck of another lathe. Installed fan and hub, hot glued around perimeter of the hub to fan connection. Removed the fan and drilled and tapped hub and added 4 4/40 machine screws to finish the job.
Hot glue made the job easy.
mike

#9 ·
For woodworking and .......

I find that it's best at gluing your forefinger and thumb together, almost as good as CA. Then IF you can pry them apart without losing any skin, you need to chew off the remainder which can take several days ..... :sad2:

It is painfully hot and I mean HOT if you have direct skin contact with it. Probably wearing gloves is a good idea..... "but it's just a quickie job, I won't need them" ...... :vs_laugh:

#10 ·
My spouse uses hot melt glue everywhere. That includes many kinds of crafts. It also includes household repairs.

There are different types of hot melt glue. Some hot melt glue guns have multiple temperature settings. High temperature hot melt glue has more adhesive power than the common low temperature hot melt glue that most people use.

I keep and use many types of glues in the shop. My spouse shows no interest in learning the right glue for each type of job. She sticks with the hot melt glue. :)

I have learned to pick my battles. Glue is not one of them. I watch her go from one end of the house to the other with the hot melt glue. By the time she gets to one end of the house, the repairs have failed on the other end, and she starts over with a new cycle.

#11 ·
DIY projects often scream out for the Hot Melt Glue.
countertop templates, any kind of boatwork, special paneling cuts,
tricky carpet and tile layouts. the use is limited only to your imagination.
some cheap wood lattice strips and hot glue can lessen the chance of costly mistakes.

Roof Wall Floor Home Tile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.