Dados to hold Drawer slides? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Dados to hold Drawer slides?

I have some heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides that I salvaged from a dump and I want to use them to hold all my routers in one large drawer.

The problem is that they are 9/16Ē thick and the pair takes up over an inch of my drawer space. Iím thinking of cutting dados to save some space and Iím not sure how Iím going to mount them because the dado would leave only 3/8Ē particleboard to hold the screws. I also thought maybe using epoxy to glue them in, but the slides are old with a lot of wear and I may have to replace them someday.

So what do you think, is 3/8Ē particleboard strong enough to hold 3 or 4 screws?

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
How many routers is that drawer gonna hold.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
How many routers is that drawer gonna hold.
I have 5 routers plus a plunge base. not sure if they will all fit, but the drawer will be 20" long and I'm not sure how wide, I have 13 1/2" wide for the drawer space.

Actually one router will probably always be fastened to the table.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Build the drawer box so that the slides can be mounted underneath. ie build the drawer then have a smaller box recessed in the sides to hold the slides then make the drawer front hide it all
post #5 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I vote to surface mount the slides.

post #6 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttharp View Post
Build the drawer box so that the slides can be mounted underneath. ie build the drawer then have a smaller box recessed in the sides to hold the slides then make the drawer front hide it all
Well thats an idea. But I donít want to buy new slides and Iím not sure these will be able to work on their side. I think that the way these are designed they will bind up.

JohnnyB
post #7 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I vote to surface mount the slides.

You are probably right. Iíve been searching the internet and I canít find anybody that has done it this way with the dado.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

I just figured it out and that would leave me with a little less than 11” inside width, which is probably OK, but I’ll lose 2 Ĺ” to the drawer sides and slides. I don’t know that just sounds like a lot.

Well maybe if I just have really short sides and keep the slides low the overflow from the router handles will overlap the drawer sides

JohnnyB
post #9 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
You are probably right. Iíve been searching the internet and I canít find anybody that has done it this way with the dado.
The little bit you think you gain isn't worth having short mounted screws. For lightweight drawers these rollers work well for the widest drawer to opening sizes. You could also go with bottom mount (underside). Or, configure a wood to wood sliding guide assembly (drawer on runner).

post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
The little bit you think you gain isn't worth having short mounted screws. For lightweight drawers these rollers work well for the widest drawer to opening sizes. You could also go with bottom mount (underside). Or, configure a wood to wood sliding guide assembly (drawer on runner).

Oh those little rollers are interesting! I might be able to use something like that of my router bit drawer. Thanks for the link.

Well I grabbed some small pieces of scrap and simulated what the actual drawer would look like with short sides and it looks like it just might work OK.

JohnnyB
post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Old School

Quote:
Oh those little rollers are interesting! I might be able to use something like that of my router bit drawer. Thanks for the link.

Well I grabbed some small pieces of scrap and simulated what the actual drawer would look like with short sides and it looks like it just might work OK.
You should allow an extra 1/32" per side gap in addition to the required spacing. IOW, if the required spacing is 1/2" allow 17/32". Or, the overall drawer would be 1 1/16" (17/16") narrower than the opening.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (04-02-2012)
post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Don't mount them sideways. Just build a smaller box beneath the drawer box just big enough for the slides and mount the slides normal. Hide this with the drawer front. I have done this several times. Works great
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ttharp For This Useful Post:
mackem (04-03-2012), Sleeper (04-02-2012)
post #13 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttharp View Post
Don't mount them sideways. Just build a smaller box beneath the drawer box just big enough for the slides and mount the slides normal. Hide this with the drawer front. I have done this several times. Works great
Oh now I see what you meant. Thatís another idea only these slides are 2Ē high, so Iíll lose 2Ē in height which means Iíll lose the drawer above. Thatís is a good idea and I will do that when I have smaller slides.

I donít know what the weight limit is on these particular slides, but someone told me it was well over 300 lbs and I can believe it because its loaded with ball bearings.

JohnnyB
post #14 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
what about putting a small strip of wood on the outside of the walls? that way the screw would have extra would to clamp onto. looks like on the pic you hae enought room on either side to do this.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I don't understand. If you are using 3/4" melamine for your drawer sides if you run a dado a little over 1/16" deep in each side it would leave a little less than 11/16" to screw to. If you are using 1/2" drawer sides, with the laminate trimmer you can dado the side of the cabinet to inset the cabinet member of the drawer guide. If you are needing to make the drawer box close to the size of the opening I would use undermounted drawer guides.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Why use slides at all? My last tool stand I just inlayed a piece of UHMW underneath where the drawer would run. Lost 1/16" height and no width. Also provides just enough friction where the drawer doesn't move when the stand is. HDPE (old cutting boards) or HPL (formica) works as well. I've also seen grooves routed in the drawer supports and filled with dowels that worked pretty well for 50 years until I upgraded the cabinets.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #17 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not know if your dado idea will work or not. However, you can just through bolt to get around the problem with a thin wall for the screws.

George
post #18 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all you're reply's

As far as the drawer slides go, I did not want to spend any money on this cabinet and only use what I had. So I have not spent 1 dime on the cabinet. I got the 3/4" melamine from a neighbor when he ask to borrow a saw to cut it up into small pieces to fit in his trash can and someone gave me the wheels. And as I mentioned before I salvaged the slides from the dump years ago. I was going to use them for a 5ft wide drawer under my work bench, but I never had room for the workbench.

Anyway, Iíve decided to use ĺ x 2 ĹĒ Doug Fir ripped from some old 2x4s for the sides. Iíll use a high back and front so nothing falls out. I probably could just attach the slider to a ĺ piece of plywood but since I have to have a back and front, I might as well have a little something on the side to keep thing for sliding off the sides when I open the drawer.

JohnnyB
post #19 of 19 Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Cool Finished Finally

It has been a long time and itís a good thing I donít make my living on this stuff because I would be homeless.

Anyway, I finally finished Installing the drawer with the drawer slides and it was by far the hardest of all. I had the most difficult time getting it aligned. I have two more drawers with slides to install and unless I can find some videos on the proper way to do this, I may pull the other slides out and not use them at all.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode