Dado cuts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 06-24-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

View JoeKan's Photo Album My Photos
Dado cuts

I have a couple of questions on making dado cuts. #1. Is there a way I can make dado cuts without a dado blade? Can I somehow make it with just the regular table blade? I remember seeing it down somewhere but can't remember how he did it.

#2. I'm building wall to wall bookcase and I'm needing to make my dado cuts all up and down my 8ft pine vertical end pieces. Do I have to take the fence off so that I can accomplish this? I think widest I have with my fence in place is around 32" but I'm going to need probably around 48". How do I do that?
Thanks for any help/advice.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
You could use a router to make those dado cuts.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...105B0150771ACD

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...9044C615262CA4

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweensdv For This Useful Post:
Grumpymike (06-29-2015), JoeKan (06-25-2015)
post #3 of 17 Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
router is probably best anyway ...

Running dados across a 12" wide piece on the table saw is the last way I would approach it... too much wiggle and wobble, hard to get the spacing spot on also.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
JoeKan (06-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Dados

Joe
When working with long 8' boards, the fence would only be used to rip the boards to make them narrower. The board is too long to try and cross cut with your miter gauge.
So, if you only have a table saw, you may want to think of other options.
If you have access to a radial arm saw, you can quickly cut your dados with a plain blade using repetitive cuts.
If you have access to a hand-held circular saw, you can quickly cut your dados by making repetive cuts against a board clamped square.
With no access additional power tools, you can cut dados with a hand saw and a chisel. (Works best with a fine tooth blade).
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
JoeKan (06-25-2015)
post #5 of 17 Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Using the table saw is an invitation for disaster. And without a dado blade? UGH?

What you need is an exact width dado jig and a router with a 1/2 in flush trim bit.

Build your jig so it will span all of your boards as they lay flat on the work table. You will get perfect fitting dadoes.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Check out the Wood Whisperer on You Tube. Google "Exact width dado jig" and you will find it.

Here are some pics of mine.

Hope you find this helpful.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-08 18.56.16.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	169618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-04 21.01.31.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	169626  

Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Barong02 (06-25-2015), David C. (06-29-2015), Grumpymike (06-29-2015), Joe Lyddon (06-29-2015), JoeKan (06-25-2015)
post #6 of 17 Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Either use a dado or a router; single saw blades take too long and every time you move the item you increase the possibility of error.

If you use a dado set I'd suggest, (if you have the skill), make a dado sled then you can remove the fence, the only issue with that is accuracy of duplication, (eyes, fingers, pencils and tape measures) increase the possibility of error with each move.

MT Stringers suggestion is your best bet for accuracy and duplication, (if you have a router and the skill to produce the jig) there're many examples on the web. MT's jig allows for both sides to be cut simultaneously, a good thing for time and effort. I have a simpler version of MT's jig; I just cut a slot to fit my biggest template guide, from there I can use pretty much any straight bit from 1/8 - 1" to produce a dado for any depth or shelf thickness "I" could want.

MT is much more adept with jig work than I; with MT's jig you can go mental with all the options.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghidrah For This Useful Post:
JoeKan (06-25-2015), MT Stringer (06-25-2015)
post #7 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 01:46 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
post #8 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 05:11 PM

View Grumpymike's Photo Album My Photos
In MT's photo #3 and #4, the left side jig board is up side down ... This position would put the adjustment knob in the way of the router base. Flip that board over and move the bolt hole farther left for more clearance.
These are great jigs and once built will last for years. I rarely use my dado blade set anymore. Using the router you get a better cut with a smooth bottom. Using a crosscut or a combo blade will leave a rough bottom and a weaker glue joint.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpymike View Post
In MT's photo #3 and #4, the left side jig board is up side down ... This position would put the adjustment knob in the way of the router base. Flip that board over and move the bolt hole farther left for more clearance.
These are great jigs and once built will last for years. I rarely use my dado blade set anymore. Using the router you get a better cut with a smooth bottom. Using a crosscut or a combo blade will leave a rough bottom and a weaker glue joint.
Good catch, Mike. Actually, I had boogered up one side when operator error let the router get away from me!

So, I took it apart, turned the piece around and put it back together with screws. I didn't have time to rebuild it like the drawing. I have since rebuilt it and used it several times.

I usually make 1/4 inch deep dadoes but 3/8 inch deep would be OK also. That jig really works well. The plywood fits the dadoes perfectly.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
I would use my DeWalt GP RAS. Or I could use my rolling table dedicated dado and cross cut saw.

I would go for the GP first.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with Mike on this one. We both built, for the most part, the same fixture. Use a plunge router. So you can make multiple passes.

Your going to find that from board to board they aren't the same thickness. Plywood comes in ambiguous thickness too. It would be faster to build the exact dado fixture and cut them than to try to hog out the slots on a saw. Your going to get a better project out of it too. One slip on the table saw or the RAS and your starting over with two new boards.

Joes fixture is okay for an expert but leaves you open to move away from the fence and ruin the cut. It also requires the piece going in the dado to be the correct thickness for fit after you cut the slot with a 3/4" router bit. If 3/4" is ever so slightly too wide. Your joint won't have any strength.Dado cuts-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1435614749.562473.jpg

I cut over 400 Ln Ft of 3/4" dados with this fixture and didn't ruin a single cut.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
Joe Lyddon (06-29-2015), MT Stringer (06-29-2015)
post #12 of 17 Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 PM

View Woodtickcam's Photo Album My Photos
If you could send a simple picture of what you want to do. I have the answer you are looking for. I could make the dadoes with multiple tools. I taught woodworking for 22 years. Cheers.

Send to [email protected]

Good chance I will even make a short video for you and put it on YouTube for others to see how simple this can be
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodtickcam For This Useful Post:
Joe Lyddon (06-30-2015), MT Stringer (06-30-2015)
post #13 of 17 Old 06-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodtickcam View Post
If you could send a simple picture of what you want to do. I have the answer you are looking for. I could make the dadoes with multiple tools. I taught woodworking for 22 years. Cheers.

Good chance I will even make a short video for you and put it on YouTube for others to see how simple this can be
That's what the forum is for. We do that here.

Al

post #14 of 17 Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

View JoeKan's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodtickcam View Post

I don't have any drawings...yet, but it's a simple wall to wall bookcase. A video would be awesome.
Thanks,
Joe
post #15 of 17 Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 PM

View Woodtickcam's Photo Album My Photos
Trying to clarify your option and ideas.

What tools do have access to?
What is the wall to wall distance for your bookcase?

It may make more sense to only make 3 dadoes in the gables ( top, bottom, and near center) and use adjustable shelving for the remainder.
This may simplify the process
post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a router?
post #17 of 17 Old 07-30-2015, 06:02 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
No need for complicated jigs and other such suggestions. Buy a router (if you don't have one) and use a straight edge as a guide.

Been doing this for years with excellent results. Easy and simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chamfer For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (07-30-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode