Dado blade recommendation - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

View shelbywilliams54's Photo Album My Photos
Dado blade recommendation

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a flat bottom dado, One that cuts square.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 01:22 PM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
I have a frued 8" stacked dado set that I really like
post #3 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Freud SD508 8" Super Dado set. It cuts flat bottomed, tear out free, dados and grooves. The outer blades will leave a tiny groove at the bottom of the cut, but it's almost invisible on the end view and disappears with finishing. I've had this set for several decades and since I don't use it every day, it'll be the last one I ever buy.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 01:37 PM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
I don’t have a dado set. I don’t make those cuts very often and just make a bunch of cuts with a flat top bevel blade.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 01:53 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
I have a Freud SD508 8" Super Dado set. It cuts flat bottomed, tear out free, dados and grooves. The outer blades will leave a tiny groove at the bottom of the cut, but it's almost invisible on the end view and disappears with finishing. I've had this set for several decades and since I don't use it every day, it'll be the last one I ever buy.
That tiny undercut at the edges is an advantage that dado blades have over router bits, it gives a bit of clearance for the sharp corners of the material fitting into the groove, and is an escape channel for any excess glue.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 02:33 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I stopped using the Freud dado 8"set. As a matter of fact it's still like new. Went to a router bit for dado's.... I do use it for dentil molding...
post #7 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
That tiny undercut at the edges is an advantage that dado blades have over router bits, it gives a bit of clearance for the sharp corners of the material fitting into the groove, and is an escape channel for any excess glue.
"and is an escape channel for any excess glue"....Did you just make that up?
post #8 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 02:40 PM

I couldn’t force the glue around a tight fitting dowel in a closed bottom hole. I had to sand a flat spot on the dowel to get it to go in.
post #9 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
I bought an Oshlun stacked dado set. It has full size chippers instead of just "wing cutters" like the Freud. I think it was the same price as the Freud, and it certainly does a better job than repeated passes with a regular blade.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #10 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Its definitely faster, but if you’re using a flat top bevel blade it provides as good of a cut that you’re going to get. If you’re using a more common ATB blade there’s definitely room for improvement.
post #11 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
"and is an escape channel for any excess glue"....Did you just make that up?
No, I just try to keep both the bottom of my dados and my mind open.
bargoon likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #12 of 34 Old 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Freud SD208 8 inch professional dado set on a Bosch table saw. I am very happy with the Freud dado set. It cuts perfect flat-bottomed dados. I have no experience with the Oshlun or any other typical dado set.

The only other dado I have used was a wobble dado on a radial arm saw. I don't recommend them. I don't recommend a wobble dado. I don't recommend cutting dados on a radial arm saw, either. :-)
post #13 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
snip I don't recommend cutting dados on a radial arm saw, either. :-)
Really, I find cutting dados one of the best uses for a radial arm saw.
woodnthings likes this.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #14 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I own a couple of dado sets I never use - I went for an up-cut router bit. Router bits are very accurate and flat. I don't want those "escape channels" because I don't want glue too escape which can leave my joints starving for glue. When I see a little bit of glue oozing out, I know my joinery isn't glue deficient. I've learned to deal with that desired "ooze out".

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #15 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Diablo set that works just fine, but stay away from the Avante set sold at HD.. I'd say it's junk, but that's an insult to junk everywhere.. The only thing going for the Avante set is the pretty wood box it comes with..
Mad likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #16 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 AM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
I've got an Irwin Marples from lowes. It does pretty good me think it doesn't cut as clean as a router bit on the bottom, but it cuts clean along the sides with no tear out. It is scary looking on a RAS, but it worked fine. I am not as experienced as these other people, so take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #17 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

View shelbywilliams54's Photo Album My Photos
I really appreciate the replies, I'm going to order the super dado set mentioned above. I'd like to talk with someone who's experienced in using a table saw because I have a few more questions. I had a bad experience with one when I first got into wood turning so I stick to the bandsaw.

post #18 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
You'll want to make sure your saw has a long enough arbor for a 7/8 dado blade set. Some saws (direct drive saws mostly) don't have a long enough arbor to accept a full dado set. You'll also want to make or purchase an insert plate for your particular saw.
Jim Frye likes this.
post #19 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbywilliams54 View Post
I really appreciate the replies, I'm going to order the super dado set mentioned above. I'd like to talk with someone who's experienced in using a table saw because I have a few more questions. I had a bad experience with one when I first got into wood turning so I stick to the bandsaw.

I lost two fingers in 1985 using a dado set on a table saw. What do you need to know?
post #20 of 34 Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance Man View Post
You'll want to make sure your saw has a long enough arbor for a 7/8 dado blade set. Some saws (direct drive saws mostly) don't have a long enough arbor to accept a full dado set. You'll also want to make or purchase an insert plate for your particular saw.
That is a very good point. Look at your table saw's instructions.

My Bosch REAXX table saw will accept up to 13/16 inches wide dado set (not 7/8 = 14/16 inch). The SD208 goes to 3/4 inch wide, which is good for my needs.

Furthermore, if you want to cut dados wider than 1/2 inch (anything from 1/2 inch to 13/16 inches) on my table saw, then you must buy a special TS1006 zero clearance insert ($60) which comes with a special bolt that goes on the end of the arbor for those wider dados. The zero clearance insert is useful and important, but it is the bolt that's special. (Nope, I have not found a way to make my own zero clearance inserts for this table saw.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode