Which Dado Blade? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

View dws780's Photo Album My Photos
Which Dado Blade?

I'm in the market for a dado blade which one should I get? I have a Dewalt jobsite saw. My budget is about $100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 04:57 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I have two types of dado blades. One is a Multi bladed Craftsman 8" set from Sears. The other is an 8" adjustable single bladed Wobbler. Despite what others may recommend, I tend to use the carbide tipped Wobbler the most. It's very easy to set and it cuts super smooth.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Last edited by Toolman50; 07-07-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 05:30 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Those are all reasonably good sets. The Freud and Oshlun should be pretty close, but the DW7670 is cleaner cutting than any of those, has great shim stock, and a really nice carrying case. $20 extra that's well spent IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notskot View Post
Those are all reasonably good sets. The Freud and Oshlun should be pretty close, but the DW7670 is cleaner cutting than any of those, has great shim stock, and a really nice carrying case. $20 extra that's well spent IMO.

Do you know if the DW7670 is made in China or not? It said its made in China on Amazon
post #5 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
Do you know if the DW7670 is made in China or not? It said its made in China on Amazon
Many name brand bits and blades are now made in China, India or some other foreign country. If it's a DeWalt blade it will meet DeWalt's specifications regardless of where it's made. Some U.S. Name brands have their own plants in these countries.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 22 Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is made in China....along with the Oshlun, Tenyru, some of the new Freud Diablo stuff, and many, many others. On the plus side, AFAIK it's been made in China since its introduction, so those that have earned it's stellar reputation were also made in China.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notskot View Post

Wouldn't 40T give a smoother cut then 24T?
post #8 of 22 Old 07-08-2017, 03:26 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the advise to go with the dewalt set, its seriously fantastic. The case alone is well worth the extra $20, its pretty awesome to have everything have its own little place. The cuts it produces are also beautifully clean, and the sizes are bang on. Stacking the outer blade plus a 1/8 chipper then the other outer gives me a perfect 3/8 dado. You'd think that would be a no brained, but a few of the sets I tried before gave really wonky results.

I also wouldn't get too twisted about the location of manufacture. I'm all for made local, but the 'made in China' label isn't synonymous with crap anymore

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #9 of 22 Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You won't need an 8" dado

First off, your "job site" saw may not have the arbor length OR the HP to spin it... I donno? I have never needed the full depth capacity of my 8" Oshlun dado. FWIW, I also have the Craftsman wobblers, a nice Freud 8" set as well as a Oshlun 6" set.... I don't know how I ended up with all these, it's only taken me 40 years.....

For making rabbets and dados for shelving a 6" set will do just fine. For removing gobs of material on tenons you may want more depth, but it's unlikely. I use a bandsaw for my tenons, it's so much faster and easier.
FrankC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 22 Old 07-08-2017, 05:59 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
ALWAYS get the best you can for your budget-buck! All the brands listed (& some other top quality name brands) will do a good job. Consider reading some reviews on line & magazines as to what the "pros" recommend, and that will fit into YOUR $ budget. Be safe.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't 40T give a smoother cut then 24T?
Number of teeth isn't the only parameter. If all else is equal, then yes, more teeth will give a smoother (but at the expense of increased resistance, heat, and burning). In this case, they're very different designs (not equal), and the DW clearly leaves a cleaner cut when compared head to head. Note that the premium Infinity Dadonator, Forrest Dado King, Freud SD508, and Ridge Carbide Dado Master don't have 40 teeth either.

Woodnthings raises an important point....if you have a jobsite saw, it may struggle spinning an 8 inch stack. A 6" set is easier to spin, and the DW is onlh available in 8".

Last edited by notskot; 07-08-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Does most jobsite saw owner normally get 6" dado? I'm still new to this I just don't want to get the wrong blade for my saw :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 06:22 AM
where's my table saw?

check your manual for recommendations

Quote:
Does most jobsite saw owner normally get 6" dado? I'm still new to this I just don't want to get the wrong blade for my saw :)

Some job site saws do not have sufficient arbor length for a full width dado stack. Others may have internal restrictions for an 8" stack. You have to check your instruction manual for these issues. You provided no model number thus far, so it will be up to you to find out.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I have the DWE7491RS the arbor is 5/8" I think.

post #15 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 AM
where's my table saw?

check the manual

What does it say?

post #16 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I have an older 8" Freud stacked dado set. The chipper blades are wing-shaped with 2 teeth like shown in the pic of the Irwin Marples. If I were to buy another dado set it would have full sized (round) chipper blades. Setting the wing-shaped chipper blades for equal balance is tedious and gets worse if I have to use shims.
Also if I use the full set of blades I cannot get the arbor nut on using the stock cup shaped washer. I use a flat 5/8" washer instead and have plenty of thread for the arbor nut.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #17 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
ALWAYS get the best you can for your budget-buck! All the brands listed (& some other top quality name brands) will do a good job. Consider reading some reviews on line & magazines as to what the "pros" recommend, and that will fit into YOUR $ budget. Be safe.
I disagree.

Many times you do not need the best. I have often bought tools that are not the best because I know that I will get limited use from them

In those cases buying the best would be a waste of money.

George
post #18 of 22 Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I disagree.

Many times you do not need the best. I have often bought tools that are not the best because I know that I will get limited use from them

In those cases buying the best would be a waste of money.

George
I second this. No sense buying a set of snap-on wrenches when Harbor Freight will get you where you need to go that one time you need to go there

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #19 of 22 Old 07-10-2017, 07:34 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Only the individual woodworker/hobbiest can decide what will fit their $ budget AND their future needs! Be safe.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
On my old craftsman saw a 6" blade was pretty useless for any cut deeper than about 1/4 and with a sled even less useful .. I have a 8" diablo that cut beautiful till I knicked a piece of aluminum .It still cuts ok, but not quite as clean as before.. I'm still kicking myself over that nonsense..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode