Woodworking Talk banner

Cuttingboard- dye/stain/coloring??

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  vursenbach 
#1 ·
#4 ·
If it is milk paint, it is basically hard, colored calcium when it dries, and is tough as nails. Most strippers won't even touch it. I am not sure it is food safe, depending on what the coloring had in it. It also might be they just dipped the wood into strong vegetable dye and left it for a while, but I have to admit it does have that milk paint look.

#5 ·
The coating covers the grain so it appears to be like paint. Could be milk paint as other reply stated.

Sundance certainly are not shy on their pricing. Way too much for such a simple design.

Is this board going to actually be used for cutting? If so paint would should the cut marks immediately.

Stain does penetrate some, but does not go deep. Stain has pigments which contain the colour.

Dyes penetrate better, but still depends on the wood species. The dyes are colour disolved in a solvent. The wood absorbs the solvent, and when it dries, it leaves the colour behind.

Hard maple for example will take a dye better than stain, but it will not go deep.

If the person wants some colour AND wants to use the board for cutting, I would use woods which have the colour.

This is an example. The main slab is hard maple. The vertical stripes are bubinga. The dovetails are rosewood. The edge is pommele sapele. All of these are the natural woods. If this board were to be used for cutting, the cuts would show, but at least would be the same colour.

Also the board would be re-sanded and re-finished with ease. Not easy with paint/stain/dye.

Wood Table Rectangle Cutting board Cross

#7 ·
Dave Paine said:
The coating covers the grain so it appears to be like paint. Could be milk paint as other reply stated.

Sundance certainly are not shy on their pricing. Way too much for such a simple design.

Is this board going to actually be used for cutting? If so paint would should the cut marks immediately.

Stain does penetrate some, but does not go deep. Stain has pigments which contain the colour.

Dyes penetrate better, but still depends on the wood species. The dyes are colour disolved in a solvent. The wood absorbs the solvent, and when it dries, it leaves the colour behind.

Hard maple for example will take a dye better than stain, but it will not go deep.

If the person wants some colour AND wants to use the board for cutting, I would use woods which have the colour.

This is an example. The main slab is hard maple. The vertical stripes are bubinga. The dovetails are rosewood. The edge is pommele sapele. All of these are the natural woods. If this board were to be used for cutting, the cuts would show, but at least would be the same colour.

Also the board would be re-sanded and re-finished with ease. Not easy with paint/stain/dye.
Thanks for all the info it really helped!

#8 ·
I forgot to mention that if this is to be decorative and you need certain colours, consider an epoxy material called In-Lace.

In this board I did an inlay of turquoise. The material is available in many colours. It is expensive, so normally applied in thinner inlays than in this board.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Cutting board

This is the bottom so shows the difference the In-Lace made to the board.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle Cutting board

This is one place to find the material.
http://www.inlaceonline.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.