Cutting quarter round - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

View Swtsae's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting quarter round

I'm fairly novice at working with trim but have done a little bit of it before. I am using a miter saw to cut quarter-round. Doing pretty decent but having issues cutting the small little pieces used for rounded corners. (the little pieces cut at 22.5 degrees.

Anyway the problem is the miter saw will on occasion send that piece flying through the air. I dont want to get to close with my fingers so it support it another pieces of wood but i'm guessing since that piece is so little the blade is just carrying it with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Go Unplugged

Try using a hand powered miter saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mitersaw.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	44827  

Insert witty signature line here.
The Following User Says Thank You to joesbucketorust For This Useful Post:
desertforest (05-21-2012)
post #3 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Well it's better to have little pieces of molding flying than fingers. Sometimes you have to put a larger piece of wood behind the molding you are cutting to support it when cutting. If that doesn't work try holding the trim down with a piece of scrap wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
What I usually do when cutting small molding is put a solid fence on the miter saw, make a cut, usually a 45 but in your case 22 1/2. Then cut either all your lefts or rights to a little longer than will be required. Then flip the saw to the other position and move the fence close so when you make the next cut you will only have the single slot cut. Then cut the other angle. This will keep the pc backed up and prevent most of the moldings from taking flight. Or you could tape the pc down.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Cut the little bitty pieces by hand as suggested by joesbucketorust.
Going through life with abbreviated fingers is sub-optimal. Don't ask how I know........
post #6 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
You could use double sided tape to fix it to something, but if you have many cuts you'll go through a lot of tape.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reccomendations

@steve i think what you are suggesting might work since it appears that the pieces typically go flying when they are not supportedand i'm making the final cut. A board behind it (like a 2x2) might keep it from flying since it typically goes shotting away from me through the fence gap.

I'm guessing when people say fence thats the vertical pieces you typically but the trim against
post #8 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
An unsharpened pencil with an unused eraser with a third hand holding it down works also.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
You can make a sacrificial table/fence and attach it to the miter saw. Adjust the depth of cut on the saw. A piece of masking tape can be used to put a leash on the small pieces, leave the saw down at the end of a cut until it stops. The table/fence in the picture is used up and will be thrown away. An advantage to these is that you know right where the blade will cut and there is no gap in the fence for pieces to disappear through. It will also provide a zero clearance backer until it's a bit used up and eliminate raising hair on the underside and back edge of moldings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mitersaw backer.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	44916  

post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Gotcha, thanks for the image.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode