Woodworking Talk banner

Cutting Out Templates

839 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
Trying to figure this out and not finding much on YouTube....

I need to made a Template for a cut out of a Guitar Cabinet Handle. So basically its a rectangle let say

4w x 6h

I need to make the negative template and only want 1/16-1/8" expanded so the cut out is

4.24w x 6.25h

How do I get the corners tight and to follow the handle not changing the corner radius

Thanks!

-B

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The radius is the 1/2 the diameter of the bit!

For a 1/4" radius use a 1/2" diameter bit. For a 1/8" radius use a 1/4" diameter bit. Make your template the size you need and use a top bearing bit or flush trim bit.

#5 ·
I have tried to illustrate how this handle was designed to be installed.
the yellow line is where the hole "should" be cut. the red line is way
out of bounds and swallows the whole handle assy. with no way to mount it.
the hole should be cut just inside of the screw holes, but not the whole flange.
and the corners can be square cut. there is no need to round them.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Alternate solution, not an answer to the question, my guess he is using a bushing in the router, don't know if it is visible from the back side, if not I would drill two starter holes and cut with a jig saw along the yellow lines, no template needed.

#7 ·
Sorry maybe I was not clear...the inside is not an issue...I recess these handle like MESA BOOGIE and ORANGE do.

Just trying to make a tighter tolerance of the outer so when it is recessed it is cleaner

Here are some cabs that I have made and have been making

Attachments

#9 ·
agree with Frank, the bit radius has to match the handle corner radius.

you can use a bearing guided bit and the template opening is the same as the footprint, or a bushing where the template opening is increased by the difference of the bushing radius minus the bit radius on each side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.