Cutting for Keyhole Liner - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

View scrasch's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting for Keyhole Liner

So, I'm building a cabinet and mortising in a lock for the doors. What I'm struggling with is cutting the keyhole. I want to use a Keyhole Liner insert but am not sure what the best way to go about cutting the opening is and still having the insert fit snugly in the hole. I suppose a "keyhole saw" would do the trick but wanted to get feedback from the folks on here to see how best to accomplish this.

Or is it better to use an escutcheon and just forget about making the cut look nice.

p.s. i don't want to risk free handing a router using a keyhole bit. I'd lose my effing mind if I ruined these doors and drawers at the 11th hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I just lay the liner over the keyhole and mark the outline with a pencil and mortise it out with a router with a straight cut bit. Then I insert the liner with a little epoxy glue.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
This is why I'm a member of this forum - to learn things. I didn't know a keyhole liner insert existed! I looked up pictures and now have a better idea of what this obscure piece of hardware looks like.

How about cutting for it with a trim router, a small straight cut pattern bit and a template? You would probably have to finish corners with a chisel (depending on the shape of the insert) but it would eliminate the freehand router work.

What's the size of the insert and can you provide a picture of it?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 AM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Fret/coping saw and a small round and straight rasp/file.
A router's gonna get ya into trouble on such a small operation.
Does the lockset have the centering pin for the key (key is hollow up front)?
If so, be sure to allow for the centering when ya lay out.
Bill

Last edited by Bill White; 10-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
This is why I'm a member of this forum - to learn things. I didn't know a keyhole liner insert existed! I looked up pictures and now have a better idea of what this obscure piece of hardware looks like.

How about cutting for it with a trim router, a small straight cut pattern bit and a template? You would probably have to finish corners with a chisel (depending on the shape of the insert) but it would eliminate the freehand router work.

What's the size of the insert and can you provide a picture of it?

Bill
The liners I have installed were inconsistent in size and shape. It would make it impossible to make a pattern to mortise them with. Anyway you only do that once in a blue moon so it's just easier to mark a line and freehand the cut. I think I probably have only installed six or eight over ten years of having a antique restoration shop. Most of the time a full keyhole cover is used.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrasch View Post
So, I'm building a cabinet and mortising in a lock for the doors. What I'm struggling with is cutting the keyhole. I want to use a Keyhole Liner insert but am not sure what the best way to go about cutting the opening is and still having the insert fit snugly in the hole. I suppose a "keyhole saw" would do the trick but wanted to get feedback from the folks on here to see how best to accomplish this.

Or is it better to use an escutcheon and just forget about making the cut look nice.

p.s. i don't want to risk free handing a router using a keyhole bit. I'd lose my effing mind if I ruined these doors and drawers at the 11th hour.
What hardware are you using?

Tags
cabinet lock key, keyhole, keyhole liner, keyhole saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode