9Likes
  • 3 Post By Toolman50
  • 4 Post By Kenbo
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Toolman50

post #1 of 12 Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting board gifts

I was able to knock out a few boards this morning. I should say board patterns because nothing is glued up yet. Used Hard Rock Maple, Walnut and Paduak. The Paduak is pretty but messy. Iíve tracked red all over the shop and I think I inhaled enough dust for one more board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B7C6820-629F-40A3-B7CF-E74ACA9A0CF6.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	327073  

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-30-2017, 06:16 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Looking good!!! How do I get on that gift list. LOL

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 12 Old 11-30-2017, 06:20 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
nice looking boards!
The Following User Says Thank You to TomCT2 For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (11-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-30-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
Looking good!!! How do I get on that gift list. LOL
Iíve seen your work Kenbo and my boards will not be in the same league. I also bought some 8/4 stock in the same 3 woods to make some end grained boards but I havenít started on those.
I would have made a little more progress if I had a decent planer. My sniping PC has really got me aggravated.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 12 Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Those are looking really good! I can't bring myself to use Padauk on a board. It's either too pricey or I'm too cheap, not sure which. I know which one my kids say...

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 12 Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Those are looking really good! I can't bring myself to use Padauk on a board. It's either too pricey or I'm too cheap, not sure which. I know which one my kids say...

David
My Paduak cost less than the Walnut. If you want to see pricey, check out Ebony.

post #7 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 01:34 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Nice! Should be dang pretty when they're done. Cutting boards always make nice gifts for people. I'm just always too lazy to make enough of them to go around. If someone needs a gift I just reach into my big ol' bucket of chopsticks and fish out a pair. Quick and easy to make but if it's someone I know needs a real gift then a cutting board is a much better option. I made a large end grain one with a knife drawer underneath it for my cousin's wedding. It's not Paduak though, I'm still too cheap for that! I couldn't bear to see it get marred up. I definitely want to see them when they're done.

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
post #8 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 06:44 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post

Iíve seen your work Kenbo and my boards will not be in the same league. I also bought some 8/4 stock in the same 3 woods to make some end grained boards but I havenít started on those.
I would have made a little more progress if I had a decent planer. My sniping PC has really got me aggravated.
First off, every member here on this site is just as good at woodworking as I am. No matter how good your work is, there is always someone that is better and your skills are truly only measured by how much you like the work you produce. I personally think that your work is excellent. As for the snipe....I would start off by adjusting your in-feed and out-feed tables and making sure that they are perfectly parallel to the planer bed. If the snipe is still bad (because some machines are just prone to this) you might want to save stock by running cheap stock through the planer at the same time. 3/4" wide strips is all it takes and they should be longer than your good stock. Place a strip of cheap wood (the same thickness as your cutting boards) on each side of the good wood that you want to plane. Then allow the longer cheap wood to enter the planer first with the cutting board in between the cheaper boards. The cheaper boards will be the first thing and the last thing to be cut as they will be longer than the stock you want to plane. What this does is keeps the planer rollers on a level plane so that your cutting board is always supported by both sets of rollers instead of being allowed to be sniped when one edge of the board leaves the one set of rollers and wanders upward into the blades causing the snipe. The snipe is transferred to the cheap wood instead of the good wood that you wish to plane. It might be a suggestion to save on the more expensive good wood that you are using. I hope I explained that so that you understand.
difalkner, Ron_J, Kerrys and 1 others like this.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #9 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
My Paduak cost less than the Walnut. If you want to see pricey, check out Ebony.
Seriously?? Now I have to ask, where are you getting your Padauk? Of course, by the time I pay shipping to NW LA, even from Dallas, the wood just got more pricey.

We used to buy small boards of exotic woods when we had a MINI and made regular trips to Dallas for service but we switched to a truck so we can haul lumber, so no reason to go to Dallas now.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #10 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
First off, every member here on this site is just as good at woodworking as I am. No matter how good your work is, there is always someone that is better and your skills are truly only measured by how much you like the work you produce. I personally think that your work is excellent. As for the snipe....I would start off by adjusting your in-feed and out-feed tables and making sure that they are perfectly parallel to the planer bed. If the snipe is still bad (because some machines are just prone to this) you might want to save stock by running cheap stock through the planer at the same time. 3/4" wide strips is all it takes and they should be longer than your good stock. Place a strip of cheap wood (the same thickness as your cutting boards) on each side of the good wood that you want to plane. Then allow the longer cheap wood to enter the planer first with the cutting board in between the cheaper boards. The cheaper boards will be the first thing and the last thing to be cut as they will be longer than the stock you want to plane. What this does is keeps the planer rollers on a level plane so that your cutting board is always supported by both sets of rollers instead of being allowed to be sniped when one edge of the board leaves the one set of rollers and wanders upward into the blades causing the snipe. The snipe is transferred to the cheap wood instead of the good wood that you wish to plane. It might be a suggestion to save on the more expensive good wood that you are using. I hope I explained that so that you understand.
Excellent explanation and I understand fully. My little bread box Porter Cable planer does not have rollers on the bottom so running the sacrificial lumber in front and behind is about my only options. The little planer also does not have a vacuum hook-up so it makes a mess while sniping my lumber. This is what you can expect when you buy cheap. :frown2:
Kenbo likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Seriously?? Now I have to ask, where are you getting your Padauk? Of course, by the time I pay shipping to NW LA, even from Dallas, the wood just got more pricey.

We used to buy small boards of exotic woods when we had a MINI and made regular trips to Dallas for service but we switched to a truck so we can haul lumber, so no reason to go to Dallas now.

David
I bought from Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie, TX.
This place is huge and has more inventory than other local hardwood suppliers.
They have hardwoods in the rough but much of the lumber is planed with one straight edge. Other places charge me $40 to plane the first 100 ft. They also let me pick out my lumber and cut it in lengths to go in my SUV at no addition charge. There are places closer to me but I like Brazos. Over the years theyíve had at least 4 name changes.
difalkner likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
difalkner (12-01-2017)
post #12 of 12 Old 12-01-2017, 12:58 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode