Cutting 6" holes vs Cutting 6" disc....HELP! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Cedar Box Maker

View DerlC's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting 6" holes vs Cutting 6" disc....HELP!

I'm looking for an attachment for my router so I can cut 6" disc. What I've seen so far has to have a small pivot hole in the center and I can't have that. (let me clarify by saying ONE side of the disc CANNOT have any hole.)
I have a contract to cut about 40 of these disc per month out of 3/8" plywood for the next several years. With that said I need something that will be accurate and will last.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Derl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Use the pivot style jig to cut e.g., a 6 1/2in hole in a piece of hardboard or plywood. Sand smooth.

Use this as a template with a straight router bit and a bushing to cut inside the template to give you the desired hole.

The initial template hole size will be determined by the diameter of the router bit you use for cutting the final hole.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Get a bit with a template bearing, add that bearing diameter X2 to the 6 inches and cut a whole in a piece that size. Now use that as a template on top of your material to cut out the discs...

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah...what Dave said...lol

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #5 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM

View keith long's Photo Album My Photos
Make yourself a circle cutting jig for the bandsaw and you can cut em out in no time. That is if you have a bandsaw. You can google bandsaw circle cutting jig and get some ideas.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM

View TimT's Photo Album My Photos
I've cut tons of 6" discs/holes for the cornhole sets I've made. I have a 1/4" router attached to a hole cutting jig I made out of 1/4" plexi and use a spiral cutting bit.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Cedar Box Maker

Dave Paine & ryan50hrl Thank you for the information. I'll do just as you suggested.
Sorry Keith Long my bandsaw is broken at this time. However until it broke I was making my disc on the bandsaw and sanding them to size.
Thanks to everyone for your help,
Derl
post #8 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
A trivial assignment for a small CNC. Shame you don't have one. Before I had mine I'd make a perfect one using a center hole jig to use as a pattern. Rough cut blanks for the final discs on a band saw, then double-stick tape them to the pattern. Flush trim them using a pattern bit in a router table. Unpeel, stick on the next one, repeat until done.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
6" exactly?

There a lot of hole saws on Amazon:
Search there for the size you need...you'll find this:

http://www.amazon.com/EazyPower-Hole-Saw-CornHole-Boards/dp/B000YC1XUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377793739&sr=8-1&keywords=6%22+hole+saw
You can cut from the back side with the pilot bit just protruding from the base of the teeth to get it started, then saw all the way through. A friend is making 50 to 100 at a time in this manner.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerlC View Post
I'm looking for an attachment for my router so I can cut 6" disc. What I've seen so far has to have a small pivot hole in the center and I can't have that. (let me clarify by saying ONE side of the disc CANNOT have any hole.)
I have a contract to cut about 40 of these disc per month out of 3/8" plywood for the next several years. With that said I need something that will be accurate and will last.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Derl
How much commission does the winning suggestion get?

George
post #11 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Cedar Box Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
How much commission does the winning suggestion get?

George
Oh, about a dollar - two ninety eight!
Payday is the second Tuesday of next week.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Cedar Box Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
There a lot of hole saws on Amazon:
Search there for the size you need...you'll find this:

EazyPower 6" Hole Saw for CornHole Boards - Amazon.com

You can cut from the back side with the pilot bit just protruding from the base of the teeth to get it started, then saw all the way through. A friend is making 50 to 100 at a time in this manner.
Some how, woodnthings, I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It is not the hole I want. It is the 6 inch disc.
Thanks for your input,
Derl
post #13 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerlC View Post
Some how, woodnthings, I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It is not the hole I want. It is the 6 inch disc.
Thanks for your input,
Derl
After your saw the hole you throw the hole part away and keep the plug that's now wedged inside the hole saw. It is a fast way to get the discs. That's why I suggested to shorten the pilot drill so you won't have a through hole in the disc. Make sense now...?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Cedar Box Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
A trivial assignment for a small CNC. Shame you don't have one. Before I had mine I'd make a perfect one using a center hole jig to use as a pattern. Rough cut blanks for the final discs on a band saw, then double-stick tape them to the pattern. Flush trim them using a pattern bit in a router table. Unpeel, stick on the next one, repeat until done.
Yes it is a shame I don't have a CNC router. I've been looking into getting one. I have several jobs I could use it on. Not to mention the FUN I could have with it.
Thanks for the idea about the double stick tape and the Flush trim pattern bit on the router table.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Cedar Box Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
After your saw the hole you throw the hole part away and keep the plug that's now wedged inside the hole saw. It is a fast way to get the discs. That's why I suggested to shorten the pilot drill so you won't have a through hole in the disc. Make sense now...?
OH, OK, Now I get it. I must have misunderstood you the first time. OK, thanks for your input.
Derl
post #16 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Turn a 6" log on the lathe then slice it up like a loaf of bread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode