Custom Pop Up TV Cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Custom Pop Up TV Cabinets

A client of ours was interested in our making a king sized bed for him, from whose footboard a TV rose.
He liked the surface texture and color of aged wood so we took him to a reclaimed lumber facility and found some barn siding in sufficient quantity to make the headboard and ‘cabinet’ footboard. Here is the sketch I did for him as well.

After selecting those boards that would fit well together, we wire brushed them to remove a century’s worth of old dirt & grime embedded in the surface. Then we sanded them just enough to make them smooth to the touch while keeping as much of that aged patina surface as possible.

Here is the headboard (and parts for the footboard) drying after two coats of urethane. The urethane sunk into the surface much like an oil finish does. We wanted some protection but still see and feel the aged texture of the wood.

When building with reclaimed wood, the key is to have no freshly cut edges showing because they’d be be noticeably lighter in color. We capped the outside cut board ends with pieces that acted as legs and that hid those cross cuts at the same time.

Considering both the flat screen TV and it’s lift mechanism, I determined that we’d need an interior depth of ten (aprox) inches. Here’s a video I grabbed while assembling the footboard (console/cabinet). It is upside down on the work bench and all the newly re-sawn surfaces face the cabinet’s inside.

We wanted this footboard to occupy as little floor space as possible (it is as wide as the bed but only 12” deep) and the height of the TV & lift mechanism when fully extended made it unstable enough to be dangerous. That’s is why we bolted the cabinet to the bed’s steel frame (shown in the design sketch).

Here’s short vid I took a few weeks after we were done…
(sorry about the cut in the middle / takes too long to go all the way and down, folks)

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 AM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work, the old boards look nice. I'm I'm the process of making a TV lift cabinet for a built in...the lift mechanism was almost as much as all the materials.
The Following User Says Thank You to was2ndlast For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (10-05-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

that sound about right to me, Was2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
wow. I thought seeing a flat screen drop vertically out of the ceiling from a pocket door type opening was unusual.
The Following User Says Thank You to holtzdreher For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (10-05-2016)
post #5 of 5 Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

these are becoming pretty popular, holtzdreher

Tags
custom tv lift cabinet, custom tv lift console, custom tv lift footboard, tv pop up bed cabinets, tv rises from footboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode