• 1 Post By Sleeper
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By bargoon
  • 1 Post By Richard L

post #1 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Crown molding on bowed walls cover-up?

I am selling my house and moving out of CA and need to finish some projects that I started years ago.

I put up crown molding in the family room and after it was Ĺ done I realized that the walls are not straight so I used caulking to fill the gaps. The long walls that are visible as you walk in from the entryway are noticeable. I see it every time I walk in, but I put it up and know itís there. Not sure if other people notice it unless I bring it to their attention.

I canít take it down because I have speaker wires hidden behind it for recessed ceiling speakers unless I removed the speakers with the wires and fill in all the holes. I suck at filling holes in drywall. One wall is bowed out because of the plumbing wall behind it, while the other has a large beam or header which sticks out a little causing a 1/8Ē gap right where the beam meets the wall.

I like a little color on my walls so I painted the crown molding satin white with the walls a very light green color and the ceiling a flat white. I donít remember the color and believe it was like a seafoam or something. Anyway I think it might not be so noticeable if it was all one color, but Iím just not sure.

My friend is selling his house now which is almost like my house except a little smaller and he has 3 offers of $3.1K. I havenít seen his house since he moved out and had someone paint it, but I would like to get that much for my house.

Do you think I should just paint the walls, molding and ceiling one color? And what color do you think I should paint it? This is largely a Hispanic community who like color as much as I do, but they would probably paint it to their liking anyway.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I am selling my house and moving out of CA and need to finish some projects that I started years ago.

I put up crown molding in the family room and after it was Ĺ done I realized that the walls are not straight so I used caulking to fill the gaps. The long walls that are visible as you walk in from the entryway are noticeable. I see it every time I walk in, but I put it up and know itís there. Not sure if other people notice it unless I bring it to their attention.

I canít take it down because I have speaker wires hidden behind it for recessed ceiling speakers unless I removed the speakers with the wires and fill in all the holes. I suck at filling holes in drywall. One wall is bowed out because of the plumbing wall behind it, while the other has a large beam or header which sticks out a little causing a 1/8Ē gap right where the beam meets the wall.

I like a little color on my walls so I painted the crown molding satin white with the walls a very light green color and the ceiling a flat white. I donít remember the color and believe it was like a seafoam or something. Anyway I think it might not be so noticeable if it was all one color, but Iím just not sure.

My friend is selling his house now which is almost like my house except a little smaller and he has 3 offers of $3.1K. I havenít seen his house since he moved out and had someone paint it, but I would like to get that much for my house.

Do you think I should just paint the walls, molding and ceiling one color? And what color do you think I should paint it? This is largely a Hispanic community who like color as much as I do, but they would probably paint it to their liking anyway.
You can hide quite a bit with caulk, but it does need to be done right. For gaps that large it might take a couple of applications, use a painters tool and make sure you square it off, don't smooth it in with a finger and round it off. Also small squares of a wet grouting sponge are great for making nice. crisp caulk joints.

I sure hope you meant $3.1M and not $3.1K($3100).
post #3 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 03:00 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
$3100 isn't much of a house LOL

You might try selling it the way it is, most people will never notice it, if they seem to notice then repaint all one color

One time about 30 years ago I got sent out to a some punch list item, it was on a Kohler environmental enclosure, I had to wait for the unit to go through it's cycle and this one took about 1 1/2 hours, since I was bored, I did my own punch list, it was a million dollar house, I ended up with about 15 pages and gave them to the new owner, he asked me to show him the mistakes so I did, he was very thankful, but the builder wanted to shoot me

But he couldn't do squat, I was the Kohler factory service rep, and the company I worked for didn't work on that builders houses it was Kohlers warranty that got me in there
Sleeper likes this.

There is no app for experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I sure hope you meant $3.1M and not $3.1K($3100).
Oh boy I sure screwed that up, LOL I meant 3010K sorryabout that.
Catpower likes this.

JohnnyB
post #5 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM

View Richard L's Photo Album My Photos
http://time.com/money/4800141/paint-...r-home-prices/

We just bought our home and I did a ton of reading on things. Paint and carpet seem to be two things that agents try to get buyers to do instead of having allowances for them.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
http://time.com/money/4800141/paint-...r-home-prices/

We just bought our home and I did a ton of reading on things. Paint and carpet seem to be two things that agents try to get buyers to do instead of having allowances for them.
We are in the process of buying a home in AZ and I personally would rather take a credit and do it myself so I know its done right. One of the reasons I would never buy a flipped house is because its in their best interest to make as much profit as they can and use the cheapest materials.

I would rather have my own choice of colors and carpet as well as counter top etc. But a lot of people can not see potential and only what is there. I see people on those house buying shows turn down a home that they love just because they don't like the color of the bath.
Brian T. likes this.

JohnnyB
post #7 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Most people no longer want to buy a house and fix it up. They want to buy a house and just move in. I do a lot of work for people fixing up their houses to sell. You get rid of anything that dates the house or completely out of style. Wallpaper should go. Popcorn texture on ceilings should go. Depending on the texture and condition of the walls this may need attention. People will accept crowfoot brush texture if it's not too distinct. For the most part the walls should be painted a neutral color such as an off white. If you have the old fashion wall paneling, that should be either painted or removed. The biggest thing you can do for a house to sell is the kitchen. If the countertops are formica these should be changed to granite or some other solid material. I know this sounds like a lot of expense to sell the house but my customers tell me they more than recuperate the expense.

The house where I was discussing resurfacing the bath tub the people were fixing up the house to sell. I gave them an estimate of more than 16 grand in renovations for this purpose. Last year another customer paid me more than 10 grand to fix up their house to sell plus they paid to have all new carpet put in. I personally don't understand it but they tell me it's a good idea to get a better price and sell the house faster if it's ready to move in.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 06:43 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
We are in the process of buying a home in AZ and I personally would rather take a credit and do it myself so I know its done right. One of the reasons I would never buy a flipped house is because its in their best interest to make as much profit as they can and use the cheapest materials.

I would rather have my own choice of colors and carpet as well as counter top etc. But a lot of people can not see potential and only what is there. I see people on those house buying shows turn down a home that they love just because they don't like the color of the bath.

Just a little FYI, new home builders generally use the cheapest material they can buy, and if it saves them $50 building the house, but will cost somebody $1500 later on trust me they will save the $50

I company I worked for in the DFW metro mess did the mechanical for a few super high end houses, two of them would use Ruud a/c equipment because they were $50 cheaper then Carrier. Ruud is good equipment, but at the time nobody gave better warranties then Carrier
Sleeper likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #9 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm definitely going to need to replace our tile counter top because there are a lot of broken edges, but I may wait until I move out to make it easier. I've been hearing different theories about whether or not to go all out, but I have already done a lot of upgrades over the years. I stopped because the area doesn't justify it anymore and I will not be able to get my money back.

For a while people were moving out and low income renters were moving in and trashing the place. I noticed in the last year that those HUD and Section 8 people have moved out and the houses are being sold to people actually going to live in them. So maybe things are turning around at least for this neighborhood. I am going to have a lot of work to do and I don't want to lose money.

Anyway back to this crown molding, I was thinking about texturing the wall to fill in so that the wall will be straighter. I would have hire someone to do that because I've never been able to get it right.

JohnnyB
post #10 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 PM

You might get someone to build up mud on the wall to match the molding. If it's spread out enough nobody will ever see it. People tend to not look up anyway.
Sleeper likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
As far as the crown molding goes why not show the house and if people notice then its time to do something, if they don't notice you're home free.

Some of these things aren't as big a deal to buyers as they are to sellers.

Cheers
Sleeper likes this.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #12 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You might get someone to build up mud on the wall to match the molding. If it's spread out enough nobody will ever see it. People tend to not look up anyway.
I think that might be the solution as long as the mud will stick to about 5 to 6 coats of paint. I just need to find someone to do it.

A funny story about my texturing. Years ago when I was in my 20ís, I thought I might be like to be a sheet rocker and texturing guy. So I bought all the tools needed and was going to practice on my bossís house. He was remodeling his kitchen at the time and agreed to let me to do it. Iíll tell you I spent so many hours sanding that his wife was getting really upset. When I finally finished it, I sold all my sheet rock tools and became an electrician. I heard years later that he got divorced and I hope it wasn't because of my texturing job.

JohnnyB
post #13 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoon View Post
As far as the crown molding goes why not show the house and if people notice then its time to do something, if they don't notice you're home free.

Some of these things aren't as big a deal to buyers as they are to sellers.

Cheers
Well that's an idea, maybe I'm worrying too much about this.

JohnnyB
post #14 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 PM

Putting that much mud over a painted wall I would put primer on the wall first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (05-09-2018)
post #15 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Putting that much mud over a painted wall I would put primer on the wall first.
Iíve painted it 4 times myself and always used the BEHR Premium Plus Ultra although Iím sure the people who sold me the house used the cheapest paint they could get because you couldnít touch it without leaving a mark. Iím hoping that enough of that cheap paint soaked into the gypsum board to make a strong bond. I will have to use a good primer on the moldings because I used a high gloss white to facilitate easy cleaning. Iíll have to look into that before I start.

JohnnyB
post #16 of 16 Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 PM

View Richard L's Photo Album My Photos
Mud over paint?????

ESPECIALLY with good paint that can be a problem. The air in the mud can't escape out the back through the paper and will pin hole like crazy.

I am sure there are plenty of "I did it before and it wasn't a problem" stories but one of the worst mistakes I ever made was KILZ'ing a smokers house before making repairs, making my shoulders hurt just thinking about all the sanding involved.

you can get away with really small repairs or VERY tin joint coats but when you try and put it on thick at all, the pin holes will drive you nuts.

Good luck
Sleeper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode