Creating a Shadow Box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

View wannabeawoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Creating a Shadow Box

Good Afternoon
I am recently new to the wood working hobby. My Father-Law-law and I used to work with wood in is shop all the time (I Loved the old man) He showed me alot. But at the time I was not paying much attention just loved spending time with Pop "MY BEST FRIEND". He has since passed on. I was able to get his router table several router bits, Miter saw and some drills and so on. I am wanting to create a Shadow Box for my wife, his daughter for the back piece that was in is coffin. I want to but some pictures in it as well as some fishing lures that he and I used all the time while fishing. So not to get into a long story I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some ideas and of course how to keep safe. A brief summary of what I was thinking. The back board is about 36"X18" I wanted to create a shadow box and cut a crove about a 1/2" from the back and route out about a 1/2 cut so that the back peace can sit in there and not have to worry about it falling out and last but not least I wanted it to have a glass cover over ther front so it willl last for ever.
Any help in the right direction would greatly be apprecieted. Amd '

Thanks again in advance
Robert P.
Metairie LA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Robert: I sent you a private message on this topic. Did you see it? I hope it was some help to you...let us know how you proceed with this project.

regards,
smitty
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Aboard...

Sorry for your loss...

You will get help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 PM

View Ryu Bateson's Photo Album My Photos
Boxes are not my specialty......

You might consider making seperate compartments for each treasure, along with a small slot for a family photo.

There are lots of designs online. Most sites can help with the dimensions, not knowing the size of the lures, plus photos and other treasures, I wouldnt know how large to make each compartment.

There was a thread here were we discussed some incredible boxes the people here have carved. You might want to check there too.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 PM

View MrRodeoCC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum!! A lot of good ideas are bound to come your way, I'd be happy to help get you going, what kind of tools do you have available? I do a lot of shadow boxes and maybe able to guide you along. For starters take what you want to put in the box and lay them out, arrange them in a pleasing manner, take a picture so you can remember the arrangement, and measure the outside dimensions of the arrangement so you can design off that so everything fits inside. Hopefully a table saw is available as it is extremely useful for box work. A groove cut into the sides will hold the glass, and rabbiting the back to accept the panel that everything is mounted on. Get a picture and some dimensions with a list of available tools and post that and I'll help you design that box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode