Crazy Angle Cutting Question? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View Anguspapa's Photo Album My Photos
Crazy Angle Cutting Question?

Why when I set my chop saw to cut a 50 degree angle, is the angle on the wood @ 40? If I set it to cut a 30 degree angle is the angle on the wood @ 60. The angle is always opposite but always totaling 90. Why does it not cut the angle I set it for, 60 cut 60. Or if I want a 60 degree cut do I and everyone out have to set the saw at 30? Everyone probably thinks I'm a nut and this is driving me nuts. :) Thanks once again for everyone's help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Forget all those other angles, just set it to 45 and you'll never have those problems again

Sorry, couldn't resist

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
The Following User Says Thank You to trc65 For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (06-14-2013)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
It all comes back to your point of reference. The fence is @180 degrees (straight line). The blade set @0 is actually @90degrees (perpendicular) to the reference of the fence. So when you set your saw to 30 degrees left, the 30 is actually measuring the angle between the right side of the blade and the "zero" reference mark (perpendicular to the 180 fence). What remains is its complementary angle of 60 degrees. Make any sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (06-13-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I think I just figured out how I'm going nuts! I'm looking at my cuts based on the horizontal axes and the saw is pulling its cuts off of the vertical axes. Am I right?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat
It all comes back to your point of reference. The fence is @180 degrees (straight line). The blade set @0 is actually @90degrees (perpendicular) to the reference of the fence. So when you set your saw to 30 degrees left, the 30 is actually measuring the angle between the right side of the blade and the "zero" reference mark (perpendicular to the 180 fence). What remains is its complementary angle of 60 degrees. Make any sense?
I guess when you were typing it bit me in the a**! Thanks. Things like that will drive me nuts till I figure it out. Then I kick my self.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode