Woodworking Talk banner

Crazy Angle Cutting Question?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Anguspapa 
#1 ·
Why when I set my chop saw to cut a 50 degree angle, is the angle on the wood @ 40? If I set it to cut a 30 degree angle is the angle on the wood @ 60. The angle is always opposite but always totaling 90. Why does it not cut the angle I set it for, 60 cut 60. Or if I want a 60 degree cut do I and everyone out have to set the saw at 30? Everyone probably thinks I'm a nut and this is driving me nuts. :) Thanks once again for everyone's help.

#3 ·
It all comes back to your point of reference. The fence is @180 degrees (straight line). The blade set @0 is actually @90degrees (perpendicular) to the reference of the fence. So when you set your saw to 30 degrees left, the 30 is actually measuring the angle between the right side of the blade and the "zero" reference mark (perpendicular to the 180 fence). What remains is its complementary angle of 60 degrees. Make any sense?

#5 ·
BZawat said:
It all comes back to your point of reference. The fence is @180 degrees (straight line). The blade set @0 is actually @90degrees (perpendicular) to the reference of the fence. So when you set your saw to 30 degrees left, the 30 is actually measuring the angle between the right side of the blade and the "zero" reference mark (perpendicular to the 180 fence). What remains is its complementary angle of 60 degrees. Make any sense?
I guess when you were typing it bit me in the a**! Thanks. Things like that will drive me nuts till I figure it out. Then I kick my self.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.