Craftsman Model 150 Floor Drill Press - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
cps

View cps's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman Model 150 Floor Drill Press

Stumbled across a Craftsman Model 150 Drill Press on Craig's List for 80 bucks. Seems to run pretty good, and has very little rust. I have a project I am planning in the next month that this will come in pretty handy. From the research I did, seems to be a fairly good drill press, although not too powerful. Anybody with any experience on this model of drill press?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same dp, and it's a keeper. It's a 4 speed (unless you have variable drive) and I keep mine on the slowest speed.
The quill lock is handy for lowering the bit close to the wood, for positioning it.
I needed to drill a 5/8" hole thru a solid 2" trailer ball mount. No problem.
Get it before it gets away!
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
cps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have the same dp, and it's a keeper. It's a 4 speed (unless you have variable drive) and I keep mine on the slowest speed.
The quill lock is handy for lowering the bit close to the wood, for positioning it.
I needed to drill a 5/8" hole thru a solid 2" trailer ball mount. No problem.
Get it before it gets away!

I did get it....It seemed pretty low risk for 80 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
cps

I found a manual online, and it looks like you can get up to 9 speeds if you raise the motor/pulley:

post #5 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Raising the pulley. Guess it pays to read the manual!

One mod I made on mine, was to tie a piece of Dacron (low stretch) rope to the table yoke, and run it up thru the open head, to a pulley I mounted on top of the tube. It then goes down the tube to a weight (about 20#'s of lead, inside a piece of tubing)

This helps counterbalance the table weight, making it easier to raise table.

Another mod, was to install a push pull on/off switch, by the front of the head. It's an old CM ts switch.

Enjoy your nice old bs.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
cps

Quote:
Raising the pulley. Guess it pays to read the manual!

One mod I made on mine, was to tie a piece of Dacron (low stretch) rope to the table yoke, and run it up thru the open head, to a pulley I mounted on top of the tube. It then goes down the tube to a weight (about 20#'s of lead, inside a piece of tubing)

This helps counterbalance the table weight, making it easier to raise table.

Another mod, was to install a push pull on/off switch, by the front of the head. It's an old CM ts switch.

Enjoy your nice old bs.
Thanks for the mod ideas. Since there is no crank for the table, the counter weight seems like a great idea. I have already been thinking about a switch as using the plug is not too convenient.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 AM

View mattk8715's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know anything about that particular Craftsman, but enjoy! You'll wonder how you ever got along w/out a drill press. There are so, so many things you can just do better now that you have one.

If I were you, my next purchases would be a decent set of forstner bits, then a decent set of brad point wood bits (if you don't already have those). Another one I used to use before I got my oscillating spindle sander is a spindle sanding bit, I think I got it from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap. Was pretty handy at times.

beer me
post #8 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a beauty, enjoy! Has kind of an "art-deco" look, and for 80 bucks, I think that deserves a "you suck"!.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 04:40 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Let me put it this way........YOU CAN'T HAVE MINE!!
That is a good DP. King-Seely if I'm not mistaken. Heavy as he!!
That price is a steal, so GET IT!
I have a link to an extensive refurb of that model. If ya want a link, send me a PM, and I'll shoot it to ya.
Bill

Last edited by Bill White; 09-18-2013 at 04:50 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 AM

A nice feature on that dp, is the large base. Much more stable than a lot of dp's. I have mine on a shopmade mobile base, with non locking swivel casters, and it's fine.
One thing that I didn't like was the depth stop. Turn, turn turn. I couldn't find a quick adj. lock for it, as the threaded post is close to the head.
I came up with a quick adj. one, that works great.
It's just a not, that slides over the threaded post. I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of it, for a lock bolt, with a wing nut.
Easy and fast.
Attached Images

post #11 of 14 Old 10-01-2017, 03:36 PM

View Tim Aprill's Photo Album My Photos
can anyone help me find a chuck key for our craftsman model 150 drill press??? I'm having no luck...
post #12 of 14 Old 07-03-2020, 02:45 AM

View noneYet's Photo Album My Photos
would love the "extensive refurb" link for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
Let me put it this way........YOU CAN'T HAVE MINE!!
That is a good DP. King-Seely if I'm not mistaken. Heavy as he!!
That price is a steal, so GET IT!
I have a link to an extensive refurb of that model. If ya want a link, send me a PM, and I'll shoot it to ya.
Bill
Good day. I'm a brand new member, and I hate to show up for the first time, and right away start asking for favors. But... I just bought a Model 150 drill press at an auction. I found this forum while looking up info on it. And I joined because I saw your mention of doing "an extensive refurb" on it. Whenever I get a new toy (I know, it's a tool, not a toy) I'm happiest if I immediately take it all apart, clean all the pieces, and make it all just as new as I can. So if your offer of a link to info about that extends to me, I would love to take you up on it.
Thank you
post #13 of 14 Old 07-03-2020, 03:10 AM

Quick adjust depth stop for Craftsman 150 drill press

Quote:
One thing that I didn't like was the depth stop. Turn, turn turn. I couldn't find a quick adj. lock for it, as the threaded post is close to the head.
It's just a not, that slides over the threaded post. I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of it, for a lock bolt, with a wing nut.
Easy and fast.
My depth stop looks like yours, except at the top of the stack, where yours appears to have a regular set screw, mine is a thumb screw. The thumb screw engages the threads of the depth stop, but if I loosen the t.s. and turn the stop nut 1/4 turn, then the t.s. faces the flat and the stop nut slides freely. I assumed this was the original setup, but the previous owner was very industrious, so I could be wrong. In either case, it is a way to make he depth stop quick adjust. I've attached two pics to show what I mean.
Name:  E92F273C-9919-46AD-8FED-00C1F8ABFE17.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  321.3 KB

Name:  543FC26E-770E-4A28-B9C8-989AD40C6A8D.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  357.9 KB

Last edited by noneYet; 07-03-2020 at 03:25 AM. Reason: attachments displaying incorrectly
post #14 of 14 Old 07-19-2020, 03:46 PM

another sample of quick adjust

Quote:
A nice feature on that dp, is the large base. Much more stable than a lot of dp's. I have mine on a shopmade mobile base, with non locking swivel casters, and it's fine.
Easy and fast.
I found this posted over at hobby-machinist. It has the same thumb screw quick adjust as mine, so it's probably original. I forgot to mention before that, once the rough depth is locked, the lower nut provides micro adjust.
Name:  E37EB728-4078-49FD-BFA9-861189650CCF.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  415.7 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode