Woodworking Talk banner

Craftsman Model 150 Floor Drill Press

18K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  noneYet 
#1 ·
Stumbled across a Craftsman Model 150 Drill Press on Craig's List for 80 bucks. Seems to run pretty good, and has very little rust. I have a project I am planning in the next month that this will come in pretty handy. From the research I did, seems to be a fairly good drill press, although not too powerful. Anybody with any experience on this model of drill press?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same dp, and it's a keeper. It's a 4 speed (unless you have variable drive) and I keep mine on the slowest speed.
The quill lock is handy for lowering the bit close to the wood, for positioning it.
I needed to drill a 5/8" hole thru a solid 2" trailer ball mount. No problem.
Get it before it gets away!

#5 ·
Raising the pulley. Guess it pays to read the manual!

One mod I made on mine, was to tie a piece of Dacron (low stretch) rope to the table yoke, and run it up thru the open head, to a pulley I mounted on top of the tube. It then goes down the tube to a weight (about 20#'s of lead, inside a piece of tubing)

This helps counterbalance the table weight, making it easier to raise table.

Another mod, was to install a push pull on/off switch, by the front of the head. It's an old CM ts switch.

Enjoy your nice old bs.

#6 ·
Raising the pulley. Guess it pays to read the manual!

One mod I made on mine, was to tie a piece of Dacron (low stretch) rope to the table yoke, and run it up thru the open head, to a pulley I mounted on top of the tube. It then goes down the tube to a weight (about 20#'s of lead, inside a piece of tubing)

This helps counterbalance the table weight, making it easier to raise table.

Another mod, was to install a push pull on/off switch, by the front of the head. It's an old CM ts switch.

Enjoy your nice old bs.
Thanks for the mod ideas. Since there is no crank for the table, the counter weight seems like a great idea. I have already been thinking about a switch as using the plug is not too convenient.

#7 ·
I don't know anything about that particular Craftsman, but enjoy! You'll wonder how you ever got along w/out a drill press. There are so, so many things you can just do better now that you have one.

If I were you, my next purchases would be a decent set of forstner bits, then a decent set of brad point wood bits (if you don't already have those). Another one I used to use before I got my oscillating spindle sander is a spindle sanding bit, I think I got it from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap. Was pretty handy at times.

#12 ·
would love the "extensive refurb" link for this.

Good day. I'm a brand new member, and I hate to show up for the first time, and right away start asking for favors. But... I just bought a Model 150 drill press at an auction. I found this forum while looking up info on it. And I joined because I saw your mention of doing "an extensive refurb" on it. Whenever I get a new toy (I know, it's a tool, not a toy) I'm happiest if I immediately take it all apart, clean all the pieces, and make it all just as new as I can. So if your offer of a link to info about that extends to me, I would love to take you up on it.
Thank you

#10 ·
A nice feature on that dp, is the large base. Much more stable than a lot of dp's. I have mine on a shopmade mobile base, with non locking swivel casters, and it's fine.
One thing that I didn't like was the depth stop. Turn, turn turn. I couldn't find a quick adj. lock for it, as the threaded post is close to the head.
I came up with a quick adj. one, that works great.
It's just a not, that slides over the threaded post. I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of it, for a lock bolt, with a wing nut.
Easy and fast.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Quick adjust depth stop for Craftsman 150 drill press

One thing that I didn't like was the depth stop. Turn, turn turn. I couldn't find a quick adj. lock for it, as the threaded post is close to the head.
I came up with a quick adj. one, that works great.
It's just a not, that slides over the threaded post. I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of it, for a lock bolt, with a wing nut.
Easy and fast.
My depth stop looks like yours, except at the top of the stack, where yours appears to have a regular set screw, mine is a thumb screw. The thumb screw engages the threads of the depth stop, but if I loosen the t.s. and turn the stop nut 1/4 turn, then the t.s. faces the flat and the stop nut slides freely. I assumed this was the original setup, but the previous owner was very industrious, so I could be wrong. In either case, it is a way to make he depth stop quick adjust. I've attached two pics to show what I mean.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim Wheel

Tire Automotive tire Cylinder Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.