Craftsman Biscuit Joiner Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

View wickedsolo's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman Biscuit Joiner Question

I know this particular biscuit joiner isnít top of the line. And yes - if I could swing $900, Iíd look into getting a Festool domino. However, I picked this guy up at a yard sale for $15 I think - the guy never used it. Still had the plastic piece on the plug.

Anyway, I picked up an assortment bag of biscuits and when I went to use it recently, I noticed that the biscuits didnít fit properly. I used a #20 biscuit and had the joiner set to cut for a #20. Basically, it looked to me like the cut wasnít deep enough, so the biscuit sat a little proud and when the two boards were jointed together (dry fit, no glue) there was a gap. The two boards didnít meet.

Now, Iíve never owned a biscuit joiner before, so I recognize this may be user error, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue or if there is very clearly something Iím doing wrong? Do Craftsman biscuit joiners only work with Craftsman biscuits? Is it probably fine and when adding glue and clamps, that would take care of it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Here is the joiner:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have an older model of that same machine. I have not used it in a long time so my memory may be fuzzy.

If I remember correctly there is a depth of cut adjustment in addition to the biscuit size setting. It is not a large variation, but enough to tune and get the biscuits to proper depth. Brand of biscuits should not matter. You also have to be sure that you always push the joiner until it hits the stops. Otherwise the slot will not be large enough.

What does matter is how you hold the joiner. Small variations can cause problems. I found that if I put the "good" size down then I had less miss alignments.

Did you get a manual?

I also have the baby brother to that joiner. I probably use it more because the size is easier to handle. The smaller biscuits do not matter because it is alignment I am working to get, not strength. I have made a number of jewelry boxes and other items with 1/2" boards and the smaller biscuit is best there also.

George
post #3 of 4 Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
For $15 you got a great bargain. The machine looks brand new.
Itís just a matter of you playing with it some and learning to use it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
looks like the knurled knob behind the biscuit select knob may make the adjustment George is referring to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode