4Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By johnep
  • 1 Post By Rodrat
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Counter tops

So I'm making counter tops to ship up to my son in Ohio. He could do it, but doesn't have a table saw to rip lumber, etc..
Anyway, I have 4 four foot sections he's going to join when I ship them up there, but need to trim the edges (ends) exactly even. I could possibly use a sled, but they're 4 feet long each and I don't have a large enough sled so..I'm thinking of using the circular saw with a makeshift fence, but I'm a bit worried I'll cut them just slightly off so I'm thinking of laying them flat on the bench, clamping two together and cutting them that way.. any other suggestions for getting the ends dead square and exactly the same length?

And yes, I smoke those cheapo, non-filter cigarettes.. As quoted from some old comedy album, "Any man who would smoke a filtered cigarette would nibble a knocker through a nighty." I just thought that was worthy of mentioning..I need to quit and I will eventually..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 10-12-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
I.m in the house going nuts trying to quit smoking again today. I cant remember if you asked a question but your smokes look good.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
uhm. one can try as hard as one wants and wishes, it's pretty much zilch possible to get the ends all neat and even except by glue-up-then-trim. circular saw, cut finish side down.

I would strongly recommend cutting them long and buying him a circular saw with a guide....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
For you smokers:
The way to quit smoking is go out and buy yourself something very nice.
You can pay for it with the money you save on smoking.
mat 60 likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 14 Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like spruce, are you sure you want to make counter tops out of a wood that soft?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Looks like spruce, are you sure you want to make counter tops out of a wood that soft?
I second that motion.

If you're adverse to remaking everything, can't blame ya, you're method of stacking and cutting the tops all at once is soun, it's the best way to make sure 2 boards are exactly the same length. Just make sure your circular saw has a sharp blade in it and you're golden

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I decided to make a longer sled and give that a shot.. As for the material it's a rental and he doesn't expect to be there for a real long time. This is the same kid that got tossed in the slammer last summer over domestic violence, charges dropped and she admitted in court to provoking the whole thing so they're history finally..good riddance. He'll probably dump a can of poly on it so it might last a few years.. He got a job as the maintenance guy for a pretty big apartment complex up there and his rent is free plus a pretty good salary. If he decides to stay awhile he hopes to establish an equipped shop so this is a clean break for him. No more manipulative women for the time being.. I told him to go find himself a 54 year old virgin that doesn't want kids..

Impressive, huh?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 02:28 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
A rich widow would do.
johnep
mat 60 likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
A rich widow would do.
johnep
That's why I'm living in a big old house on the lake and turned into the housekeeper, grounds keeper and all of the 30 or so bushes around the yard that need trimmed every 6 months or so.. She's not rich, but we ain't going to starve.
She tells people she's a lousy housekeeper, but she kept the house in the divorce.. That's housekeeping..

Impressive, huh?
post #10 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 03:08 AM

View Rodrat's Photo Album My Photos
"I need to quit and I will eventually.."

For your families sake I hope its sooner than later. Lost several family members that might still be here otherwise.

Hope your son enjoys his countertops.
mat 60 likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 05:39 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Some towns here have workshops open to the public. Somewhere a man can escape to and use tools etc. Have a Google on Community workshops.
johnep
post #12 of 14 Old 10-13-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Well...so much for the sled idea..I now have a really nice and accurate sled, but the countertop is too heavy on one side to push it through and the sled tips to one side. I really need some wings the same height of the rest of the table top.. Mine are the old sheet metal type and kind of hang to either side..That's not good.. At least I now have another winter project.. By the time I'm done with the saw it'll be roughly 637.48 times better than it was when I bought it..

Impressive, huh?
post #13 of 14 Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Got em squared nicely.. I suscummed to the circular saw then dragged out the old shooter board. Being pine it was easy trimming.
I weighed each piece before trimming and planing at 13.7 lbs.. after trimming and planing 10.3 which should lessen the shipping costs a bit..
I kind of wondered if I would ever find use again for the shooter board and now I'm glad I have it. It was a bit of sweating to square up 8 ends, but worth the effort..
Now I'm thinking of designs to build a new one with clamps included for large pieces. Twas a bunch of fanagling trying to hold things down, but I got there..

Impressive, huh?
post #14 of 14 Old 10-14-2016, 04:23 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Good info here. I would go with the idea of leaving some length to the pieces and buying him a saw. FWIW, several years ago, I saw a fellow planing a maple countertop at the Woodcraft store in Brentwood (Nashville, TN). Beautiful! It was for a local chef.

BTW, it's easy to quit smoking. I had a roommate in college that quit three times in one day!
mat 60 likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode