Copper Counter Top question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

View netman's Photo Album My Photos
Copper Counter Top question

I am considering making Copper Counter tops.
  1. Any ideas on thickness ( in mils) of the copper to use.
  2. How to adhere it to the plywood surface of the new counter ( glue, nails, etc)
  3. How to trim it out along the edges.
  4. It is really safe to use for food preparation and such? We really cook and cook a lot at home.....this is NOT for show...its going to be a really used surface.
Any suggestions, comments , disagreements are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post
I am considering making Copper Counter tops.
  1. Any ideas on thickness ( in mils) of the copper to use.
  2. How to adhere it to the plywood surface of the new counter ( glue, nails, etc)
  3. How to trim it out along the edges.
  4. It is really safe to use for food preparation and such? We really cook and cook a lot at home.....this is NOT for show...its going to be a really used surface.
Any suggestions, comments , disagreements are appreciated.
I don't think your choice of material is a good idea, a better choice if it has to be metal, would be stainless steel in a food preperation area.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM

View JB97031's Photo Album My Photos
When we built our house we wanted to do our kitchen counters in copper. Because we were over budget, we couldn't do it. It's a future upgrade though.

Copper and zinc has been used for years for countertops. They are antimicrobial which is a nice asset. Attaching them is generally done with a good construction adhesive. As far as trimming the edges - that's up to you. You can have the material bent or perhaps trim it with a wood similar to your cabinets. Care of the tops is up to you as well. Keep in mind that if you want them all shiny then you will either have to coat/seal them or you will be polishing. My wife and I like the more rustic look and will hopefully allow the copper to patina out over time. Also keep in mind that copper is soft and will scratch by placing pots, cleaning with scrub pads etc... With everyday use, it will be hard to keep them pristine.
Keep in mind this is a high end feature. When we priced out copper ( just the material) it was about the same as a top end granite installed.

Last edited by JB97031; 03-30-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM

View JB97031's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood

I don't think your choice of material is a good idea, a better choice if it has to be metal, would be stainless steel in a food preperation area.
The relative ease of cleaning stainless is an asset. It does show everything including fingerprints though. Stainless works well in very modern homes, but in a more traditional setting using it beyond the appliances, can make the kitchen feel antiseptic.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Several laminate suppliers carry metals that fabricate like HPL (like Formica). Thicknesses can be 1/32" to 1/16". It can be cut on the tablesaw with a carbide tipped 60t blade. It can be laminated to most any substrate with solvent base contact cement. Overhang edges can be trimmed with a carbide tipped flush router bit (3 flute works best).

Here is an example. Available in 4'x8' or 4'x10'. There are details about handling and fabrication I can share with you if you're interested.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
I just revived and clear coated some copper tops for a customer. In doing my research for the project I found an online company that offers several different copper tops in different patina's. They also offer two options for protecting it. One is a laquer finish designed for copper and the other is a two part resin which is often used on wood bartops.

According to the information on their website the lacquer is heat resistant and after using it myself offers a pretty tough finish but not indestructable. The epoxy would be my choice for a countertop that will be used but it is not heat resistant so trivets or thick pot holders should be used or just keep the hot pots and pans on the stove.

Here is a link to the website. They offer two different thicknesses of copper. For your application I would suggest the thicker option. A smooth substrate material should be used and it is glued down with contact adhesive. The website also offers step by step how to videos.

http://www.colorcopper.com/

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dave For This Useful Post:
JB97031 (03-31-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode