Cook's Superwide Sawmill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 20Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Cook's Superwide Sawmill

I need a little help!!!!

I ordered me a Cook's Supersaw 52" in Aug ......thought that everything was on schedule....JUST got a email Monday they decided to cancel my order due to "...the engineering dept doesn't think they can meet my needs...." LOL (better than CRYING)....I've done sold my other mill under value to move it due to all the specs I was given for room needed (incorrect) and they'd ok'd my changes I was to have the mill first week in Dec .... To add salt to the wound, I've requested from the sales rep 3 times to speak with the owner(s) (brothers) with NO success. So far I've not been able to discuss or have input re this decision with owner(s). ALL I want is a discussion with the owner(s), I personally don't think they know this has happened...

Does anyone here have connections with Tim or Stephen Cook (the owners of Cooks Saw) that could help me. I DON'T want a show down, I'm willing to walk away as long as I know they personally know the facts.....IF they can live with cancelling 3 months into the deal, the CHRIST in me is BIGGER than this set-back will also allow me to have Peace with it...He ALWAYS fulfills the desires of my HEART!!! It's not always the way we have planned BUT BETTER in His time !!!!

Thanks up front!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
That's a bummer, Tim. I do hope you get this resolved. Did they take a deposit (none of my business, just curious)?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (12-16-2017)
post #3 of 28 Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Something is very odd. They are in the business of making saw mills and they turn your order down? Was there anything about the saw that was custom made just for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

Sorry guys so long on a response.....my usual webtime is late at night after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
That's a bummer, Tim. I do hope you get this resolved. Did they take a deposit (none of my business, just curious)?

David
Yes a deposit BUT they stated to return in full $1000.00 ......WELL that's a drop in the bucket as to what I've LOST.....NOT just the frustration, I've sold my mill slightly under value to move it, the income from that AND the lump I'd saved for ALL the necessary things needed for the saw and set-up which would've been 2017 expenses I now have to pay estimated $6,000.00 in taxes due to they weren't spent. Which makes me $6 grand short for the 2018 year to replace it when I can. Kinda makes a man feel like he's had the breathe KNOCKED out of him. The LORD'S bigger, I'll survive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Something is very odd. They are in the business of making saw mills and they turn your order down? Was there anything about the saw that was custom made just for you?
You're correct on the ODD !!! Custom NO, BUT Options yes!!!! In the beginning I asked for hieght specs/clearances and told 96"...COOL that'll fit in my building with extra (I almost poured the concrete floor BUT something wouldn't settle in my Spirit to do it). I opted for a 3 phase electric motor instead of gas for indoor use set-up, with 21'log cut length bed and a 120 volt forward /reverse drive.... ALL standard options. I inquired about a phase converter and the rep was like ????? , none through them so I checked around and found a company that the motor mfg had dealings with before and was able to get a VFD drive set-up in a price range to fit my budget new....Cook's didn't want to hook it up due to they said they couldn't test it (???why????)....ALL the vfd mfg needed was a electrical schematic showing switches, safeties,motor hook-up, etc. ,etc. and we'd hook it up after the build....we couldn't get enough specs to know where current was coming in to what, what some of the connections were (we guessed switches BUT wasn't labeled) and what wires operated starter (which gets disconnected with a vfd drive) and what operated the motor, he even spoke to them to go over them and couldn't get good answers....so we (vfd mfg and I) opted to just wait to build vfd AFTER I had the mill (NO PROBLEM!!!) ....2 months later....Last Friday morning Cook's released a you-tube of this unit about it's power options (up/down...fwd/rev) and I noticed when they raised the head all the way up there were posts sticking way up in the air and I immediately called Cook's to inquire due to I was told 96"....they then told me they were part of the lift and reached approx 170 " or 14'+" , I advised them I needed a DEFINITE measurement because I knew I didn't have that and needed to know my options (hung over the barrel NOW!!!) they called later and spec'd 11'8" which is a IFFY without the concrete But definite NOT with concrete EVEN after I changed positions of the layout. Monday I again asked about my options which were??? I asked to give me a few locations nearby so I could go out and look at this hieght issue incase I had to fix the problem and I'd know my options....Monday evening I happened to check my email early (the rep was used to me only checking late at night) and found the first notice they were canceling!!! (didn't have the nonades to call me )...I called him up and asked what was up...started a bunch of BS and I just politely stopped him and said I only had 1 request and that was to talk with one of the owner brothers on conference call to clear all this up because I was basically screwed. He first hum hauled around with excuses why I couldn't then said he would......40 minutes later the Rep returned a call and said everything was worked out and I'd have it 3rd week in January........A LONG PAUSE from me....I stated to him...."..I had only ONE request and that was to talk to one of the owners and that was ALL that was going to satisfy me..." AGAIN he got all these BS excuses".... why I couldn't/wouldn't talk with them..." I just politely told him AGAIN "....I ONLY had ONE REQUEST and that was to talk with one of the owners....PLEASE make that happen"....another day went by (Weds)and I had to call the rep again and ask "....when was this going to take place????..." Again the BS excuses why they normally don't talk.... I stated AGAIN "...I had only ONE REQUEST and that was to talk with one of the owners...." Weds afternoon when I got home I found the second email notice from the Reps boss that they decided again (2nd time) to cancel and refund my deposit. Again NO one can give a personal call.

I did find a old email from 2014 from Tim (one of the owners) to which I sent a request to him for a personal call regarding this whole situation....SADLY he hasn't responded either (he may just be out of the office)...I personally don't think either of the owners know... I definitely don't think Tim would avoid the request.

ODD ...YES!!!! I've NEVER seen a owner that wasn't interested in why a customer couldn't be helped, IF there was a solution BEFORE canceling (some things can't be resolved) . I'd understand IF I'd been hateful, or rude, or threatening.....all I requested was to talk to one of the owners...I had/have a compromise that would've been a win/win for both parties (timing now may be TOO LATE!!!) BUT I'm ONLY dealing with the owners which have final say....I'm tired of all the "middle men" whom have kept this screwed up and have NO negotiation powers in the final say at the point we're at.

Lengthy BUT is actually a short version of the back and forths re the electrical.

I still stand my ground...My God is bigger!!! This is just a stepping stone for something BIGGER!!! I've seen this before....My reactions in CHRIST effect the GREATNESS of His Awesome Powers!!! AMEN

Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 07:12 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear about this Tim. I'd agree with you that it sounds like the owners likely are unaware of what's going on. Have you called the company direct and tried to work up the chain of command that way? Your sales rep reports to someone. Can you get his supervisors name and work the chain that way? Lastly, sometimes a hand written letter mailed to the company will elicit a response.

Best of luck with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to J_L For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM

From what you are telling me my instincts are the company has some internal problem. They either have a labor problem which they are only doing what is routine at the moment or they are on the verge of going out of business. I don't think you are going to have a happy ending with them and if you can get your deposit back be happy with that. I would start today looking for another manufacturer.
Catpower likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Wood machinist

Tim, if you're set on staying with Cook then you're definitely going to have to talk to one of the brothers (not telling anything you didn't already know...). In technology sales I learned a long time ago to never take a 'no' from someone who can't give you a 'yes'. That's true in most situations.

David
Tennessee Tim likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Roybrew (12-16-2017), Tennessee Tim (12-16-2017)
post #8 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
Sorry to hear about this Tim. I'd agree with you that it sounds like the owners likely are unaware of what's going on. Have you called the company direct and tried to work up the chain of command that way? Your sales rep reports to someone. Can you get his supervisors name and work the chain that way? Lastly, sometimes a hand written letter mailed to the company will elicit a response.

Best of luck with this.
Thanks...I've dealt directly this whole time..got up one step once (supposedly the level below TOP), the rep had a better attitude then WHAMMY!!!! Sometimes people are intemidated when you can see the BS and call their hands. I DON'T believe TIM (one of the owners) knows, the brother Stephan ????? I think this is being hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
From what you are telling me my instincts are the company has some internal problem. They either have a labor problem which they are only doing what is routine at the moment or they are on the verge of going out of business. I don't think you are going to have a happy ending with them and if you can get your deposit back be happy with that. I would start today looking for another manufacturer.
Steve, they're growing at leaps and bounds from what I had already pieced together and the mid level supervisor also confirmed. I understand growing pains AND I'M glad they're BLESSED to grow another USA business here in the great USA.....KEEP the money at HOME!!!! I gathered there was a large demand at the intro price (TOO low according to others of the same level) BUT not all kinks had been worked/thought through. The requests I chose were options not demands BUT I'm not sure they had been used before and the kinks were greater to work out. The ONE that hit me the hardest was the height to which everyone involved KNEW where it was going and why I chose electric....I was just given the wrong info....NOT my fault. I can do it with gas and make my own alterations for hieght since they can't, I JUST WASN'T given the chance to talk options NOR voice how/what direction I wanted/HAD to go. I'm the other half of the contract. I also believe they have the advanced technology in the mill headrig itself operating in the wheels, alignment, balancing true and blades. 3 1/2 months into a deal is not the time to cancel... I'm a businessman...it's time to negotiate not tie more blocks on and drown....ALL this could've been avoided by a phone call from the owners, I have options and they have options...negotiate to where both get satisfied and past this issue...NO ONE ASKED me how/what needed to be done during any talks...I was left out. I just had emails sent to me on THEIR decisions.

Have a great day!!! I'm going to anyway this ends up, I refuse to let the devil steal my JOY in the LORD!!!
BigJim and difalkner like this.

post #9 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like they are 250-300 miles from the middle of Tennessee. I'd likely call the Rep, let him know you were getting in the truck and headed his way, that you would be in town until this is worked out...

Face to Face tends to get things real for the Tele-Reps, harder to hide in the corner of the office.
Catpower and Cowboy18 like this.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 04:17 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Don't know if it means anything, but their website is basically blank.

http://www.cookssaw.com/
post #11 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 04:27 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
Don't know if it means anything, but their website is basically blank.

http://www.cookssaw.com/
Not sure what blank means to you but I found their site nicely done with decent product descriptions.
MLP likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerrys For This Useful Post:
post #12 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 04:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hindsight ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Looks like they are 250-300 miles from the middle of Tennessee. I'd likely call the Rep, let him know you were getting in the truck and headed his way, that you would be in town until this is worked out...

Face to Face tends to get things real for the Tele-Reps, harder to hide in the corner of the office.
I'm on the same page here only I'll go one step further. Spending 20K and possibly more I would want a face to face meeting with all the parties involved at the company, sales, technical service and manufacturing to make certain what I'm asking for is within their capabilities and they fully understand what I am asking for, in person with sketches, arm waving what ever. Then I would want a written agreement that is signed onto by all the parties. It will be difficult to un-ring this bell after they have decided to cancel their part of the contract. I don't know if you have legal grounds for your losses but I'd look into it. They cost you money, which equals damages.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-16-2017 at 06:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (12-17-2017)
post #13 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Wood machinist

What about a Wood-Mizer? Are they higher priced - seems like they would be? My sawmill guy has an LT35 and is looking to upgrade this next year to the LT50 or larger. I've been out there a couple of times to help him cut the Walnut logs he brings in for me and it sure is a nice unit.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
post #14 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
There is also a company in Moscow Tennessee who have mills in stock that will assemble like you want.

http://www.hurdlemachineworks.com/

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 28 Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Tim,
Sometimes things happen for a reason and despite your loss and setback, it may be a hidden blessing that you donít buy this machine and find another supplier.
Most of these mfgs seem to be a long way from Tennessee. In the Northwest or Canada. Youíve been in the business and will know a good machine when you see it. I hope you find a good machine that will last you a lifetime and make you a ton of money.
Jim

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
post #16 of 28 Old 12-17-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

Thanks to ALL the responses !!! I've done spoke on some and I'll try to catch a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
What about a Wood-Mizer? Are they higher priced - seems like they would be? My sawmill guy has an LT35 and is looking to upgrade this next year to the LT50 or larger. I've been out there a couple of times to help him cut the Walnut logs he brings in for me and it sure is a nice unit.

David
Woodmizer only has one that would fit my needs in width and that's the 1000 I believe......NICE TOY!!! Actually there is one being posted here that's being set-up in Texas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Tim,
Sometimes things happen for a reason and despite your loss and setback, it may be a hidden blessing that you donít buy this machine and find another supplier.
Most of these mfgs seem to be a long way from Tennessee. In the Northwest or Canada. Youíve been in the business and will know a good machine when you see it. I hope you find a good machine that will last you a lifetime and make you a ton of money.
Jim
Thanks Jim...All this is true...as we call it in the spiritual world...you've stated another "confirmation". I've had 3 with the same statement in the first 24 hrs of this happening...SOMETHING about this is either for the better NOW or the FUTURE...ONLY as the LORD allows the doors to be opened and HOW I respond will tell what the" bigger" is going to be.....FOR ALL I know it may be for THEIR COMPANY to re-exam their internal structure....they are GROWING!!!! I hold NO grudge or ill feelings to them...YES it hurt deeply, BUT my Trust isn't in them!!! I just would like a personal word with the owners. ???? WE don't know why or what the reason is at this time AND I'm only His servant in this crazy world BUT it will be reveled in HIS TIME!!!! He's done gave me Peace regarding this AND He's ALWAYS allowed me to overcome IF I follow His Word and Guidance. YES I've had to control the flesh, that "old man" wanted to rise up and be ill tempered, it didn't like the punch in the stomach and a slap to the face.....25 yrs ago I'd done been down there and in some faces....Amazing how the Lord can change one IF a person will ALLOW!!!! IT'S ALL about our choices....PRAISE God He's worked a lot on me!!!!

Again THANKS ALL!!!!

post #17 of 28 Old 12-17-2017, 06:56 AM

I hate to say it but the last thing a failing business would make public is that they are in trouble. They will put on a happy face while trying anything they can to save the sinking ship. Then one day file bankruptcy and everyone is stunned thinking the business was doing well.
post #18 of 28 Old 12-17-2017, 07:13 AM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
YES I've had to control the flesh, that "old man" wanted to rise up and be ill tempered, it didn't like the punch in the stomach and a slap to the face.....25 yrs ago I'd done been down there and in some faces....Amazing how the Lord can change one IF a person will ALLOW!!!! IT'S ALL about our choices....PRAISE God He's worked a lot on me!!!!

I wouldn't presume to know Gods will Tim.

But I do know that on many occasions in my life when things ended in a big mess. On reflection after the fact, I would see that I had ignored warning signs I should have given more consideration. Personally I would consider this a major warning sign. I would take my lumps on this one and bail on the whole idea of giving them my business. If they are ignoring your requests to speak to the owners before they have your money! What kind of service can you expect after they have been paid? No Sir, I would change direction and find a company more worthy of my business.

However, regardless of my decision. I think I would write a letter to both owners, and send them registered mail. It's fast, and most likely to get to them directly. Don't give any warning to those you have been in contact with, to prevent someone intercepting them. I can't believe they would stand for one of they're customers being done this way. I know personally over the years I have lost money on deals to protect my reputation.
Something really stinks about this whole situation.

Anyway I hope whatever you decide, it all goes well for you.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cowboy18; 12-17-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #19 of 28 Old 12-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I'll make this statement, not being rude when I do, more of a spiritual reflection.

What good does it serve to interact with the owners? Who does it serve? Seems to be wasted energy and effort.

IMO, If you are done with them, then be done with them. They likely will not learn anything from an interaction with you, but you will serve yourself to feel better about this situation.
Kerrys likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
In 2008 I needed some heavy duty tax deductions and decided to buy a HY Def plasma cutter, I had just gotten a standard plasma cutter from the same manufacturer and they solved any problems I was having with it so I figured they would have taken care of the next machine

It was over $100,000, they had their engineers out working on it for a month and couldn't make it work right, then they stone walled me and wouldn't even return my calls, so I started doing some research as they had given me a list of their happy customers.I contacted their happy customer to find out none of them was happy.

In the end I lost about $50,000 on the gig, I had purchased a digital phase converer and all the transformers and swithc gear was about $20,000, that is part of the $50,000 I lost but I still have that

If they are giving you the run around it might be they have a major flaw in the design, and are trying to work it out

But it also saved me a bunch in taxes, when you can do the Section 179 deductions 40% off the top helps
WesTex likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode