Comfort zone? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
Comfort zone?

Does anyone else other than me have trouble stepping outside their comfort zone? I seem to have a problem with this I am good at lamps and decent at clocks they are just a tad more involved. Every time I go out to the shop and think hmmm what do I want to build today and I always fall back to one or the other. So I'm thinking I will start on a coffee table. I have built only one table and it was a big challenge for me so I am hoping that this will help me to step up my game. No real reason for this thread other than to see if anyone else has this problem.

"Courage is not knowing about when to take a life, but knowing when to spare it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM

View sharbin's Photo Album My Photos
Since I am so new to the hobby, pretty much everything is out of my comfort zone. Right now, since I am in the mode of gearing up, I am most fascinated by tools and jigs that I can make with my limited skills. Hopefully I can progress soon enough to make something more broadly appealing with these tools. My wife has lots of ideas of things that I should make! Of course they are all fairly complicated or are best done using tools that I don't have.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM

View lilman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have a comfort zone as for projects, I actually tend to think things are simpler than they turn out to be. I do however have a comfort zone as for methods when accomplishing projects. Sometimes this is due to lack of equipment but generally because I am eager to get things finished. I'll look at a project saying I'll try something new but always seem to revert back to my old ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
It happens. Best way to make your self do it is get money involved.
Buy plans, parts, wood something so that you now have something to lose if you don't do it. Having a chance to make money is another good way to push you out there.

No one like to waste money.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrbrown For This Useful Post:
Tommie Hockett (05-07-2013)
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I sure wouldn't complain about having to decide what to make. When woodworking is your business the only choice you have is not to do what walks in the door.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
When I have a project that pulls me out of my comfort zone, I try to look at it in steps. In other words, break down the project into doable steps.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayking49 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (05-07-2013)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Happens all the time Tommie.
But I wish I had time to make something. Haven't had shop time in awhile.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
I always like to try new things. There is so much info out on the web that you can get an idea of how to do just about anything, doing it is another thing but the info is a good start. I always try to incorporate something new into projects and use that as an excuse for new tools! I also will of stick in my comfort zone, by that I mean make something I know I can do and take it up a notch. So make a clock but maybe add some fret work to it, or an inlay, or something like that so you aren't stepping out to far.

After seeing some of the threads on here about inlays I really want to try an inlay of some sort. These guys make it look easy!

Thanks for your help
post #9 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 PM

View craigwbryant's Photo Album My Photos
I have never been afraid to step out of my comfort zone and take on a project that might be a "reach". These projects usually take me longer to complete, result lots of words I'm not too proud of, and lead to lots of wood being tossed in the "find another use for this" pile, but I find I learn a lot from them. I think this is because I am still a novice at woodworking and I am hungry to try new projects and techniques to build my tool kit.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbin
Since I am so new to the hobby, pretty much everything is out of my comfort zone. Right now, since I am in the mode of gearing up, I am most fascinated by tools and jigs that I can make with my limited skills. Hopefully I can progress soon enough to make something more broadly appealing with these tools. My wife has lots of ideas of things that I should make! Of course they are all fairly complicated or are best done using tools that I don't have.
I remember before I could purchase tools the frustration of not being able to build something because I didn't have the proper tool. My father was a "just get by kind of guy" so we never had to many tools. They were always the cheapest. But that all changed when I became of age. I have almost every thing I want and need as far as tools go. I also don't buy a tool if I don't need it. I have no lathe and have no desire to buy one.

I'm going to step outside my comfort zone and build a set of dinning chairs.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown
It happens. Best way to make your self do it is get money involved.
Buy plans, parts, wood something so that you now have something to lose if you don't do it. Having a chance to make money is another good way to push you out there.

No one like to waste money.
Good idea.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode