Colored Wood Stain Options - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

View steelwoody's Photo Album My Photos
Colored Wood Stain Options

Hello everyone.

As a drummer, I do a lot of work on wooden drum shells. I have recently decided that I would like to offer finishing services to customers.
I've seen some extremely creative and good looking colored wood stains used on drum shells. My question is has anyone ever used any of these colored stains and what advice you might offer on their use including sealing after application.
Looking for manufacturers, methods of application, any tips or tricks as well as any potential pitfalls to avoid. I should also clarify that when I say "colored" stain I'm referring to blues, reds, greens, yellows, etc. (as in rainbow and pastels)

Thanks!

Emil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2020, 10:06 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I know next to nothing about this particular subject, but I do know how to use a spray gun. Not sure about stain and spray, but I imagine it isn't that much different from base coat clear coat in the automotive industry. I could be wrong and probably am, but hey, practice, practice and more practice on scrap pieces until you have it mastered..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I like TransTint dye from Homestead Finishing. It comes in Red, Blue, Purple, Green, Yellow, Orange and Black as well as wood tones. It comes as a concentrate which can be mixed with alcohol, water or a combination of both. Spraying the alcohol solution is a breeze. Wiping the alcohol solution can be tricky Because it dries so quickly, but adding some water provides a bit more working time.

You can get really dramatic effects on figured maple by dyeing a dark color, sanding back and then dyeing another color. See the guitar in the link below.

https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guita...oard/PS6819/PR
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
steelwoody (09-12-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2020, 09:53 AM

Funny, after seeing this thread yesterday I decided to do some digging on the subject of refinishing drums and other wooden instruments. It turns out most of the things I read and watched on YouTube were far more simple than the things I learned about painting cars and a LOT less work than wet sanding an entire car or truck. Back where I'm from there's a well known painter (automotive) who only uses a roller then wet sands the entire thing down by hand and his reputation in town is second to none..but I HATE wet sanding because as a young bodyman I always got the task of wet sanding and it turns out I was really good at it. I didn't know that until I asked why I always got the s**t job of wet sanding and my boss finally told me everyone else really sucked at it and I was really good at it. That got me a nice raise, but didn't make me like wet sanding even one tiny little bit more..I still hate it, but it did get me thinking that I could probably put those old skills to work and start refinishing musical instruments and see where it leads me. It's not much to buy some scratched up old instruments to practice with and if I'm right it could lead to some decent business. The worst thing I can do is ruin some $20 guitar maybe.. Well, I guess I could piss away some time.. That would be a first for me. LOL

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 09-11-2020 at 09:58 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2020, 10:05 AM

Steelwoody, got a roller stand and maybe a nice hard, flat surface to check for imperfections in the ends of these drum shells?
I was thinking a few roller skate bearings, some threaded steel rod and a few large wooden cylinders along with a big piece of tempered glass would be nice to have for your business.
You might even find someone here willing to make the cylinders for you. I made a horizontal drum sander from a chunk of birch to use with the lathe, but pretty much the same idea I would think..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 09-11-2020 at 10:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to allpurpose For This Useful Post:
steelwoody (09-12-2020)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2020, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

View steelwoody's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Quickstep; I will look into the TransTint product from Homestead.

All-purpose; Give a go my friend! You never know where custom work can lead you to. I will say this however, you may find that the automotive finish biz may be more profitable than the instrument biz...lol.

Emil
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2020, 01:09 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
General Finishes has an assortment of colored dye stains.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode