cleaning dust colletors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
View Poll Results: Do you think that water is an effective way to clean filters in dust collectors?
YES 1 8.33%
NO 10 83.33%
TO MUCH TIME 1 8.33%
TO MUCH MESS 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

View mikisefiltertools's Photo Album My Photos
cleaning dust colletors

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for your opinions regarding dust collector cleaning since this is a relatively new arena for my company. We do make a couple of tools for cleaning these collectors BUT do not have as much feedback on there effectiveness as I would like to see from people that use them everyday. I AM NOT SPAMMING HERE.... I truly would like to just hear your opinions about the tools...... Our other tools are selling in 105 countries and doing just fine....

The question is; Do you think using water is an effective way to clean the smaller dust collectors?

If you want to see the tool in action you can go to youtube and search Power Pic Pro or go to our website at; Link removed by Mod

I would like to thank all of you that give me an honest answer.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by rrbrown; 04-23-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Is water "effective"? probably....

Will it destroy or limit the useful life of the cartridge type filters? probably.... unless the filter manufacturer specifically recommends cleaning with water, I won't do it to mine.

i really feel that although you have posted a survey, this is a "stealth" type of spam. You are after all selling a product and getting those here to go top your website to look at them. ....my definition of spam. JMO.

BTW, You have not spelled collector correctly.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Midwest Millworks (04-23-2013), OnealWoodworking (04-23-2013), thegrgyle (04-25-2013)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I had to answer the poll based on the options you had available.

Water can be effective, but it may not be practical.

In many cases, the media is not designed to be water resistant. In other cases it is.

However, even if the media is designed for water cleaning, the practical aspect is drying thoroughly before re-assembling.

I bet many folks do not have the filter as dry as it should be, and once replaced back in the dust collector, mold can and will grown - unseen, but folks who are sensitive may have some issues.

For the drying reason, I prefer to use air to clean my dust collector filter, shop vac filter and house vacuum filter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
mikisefiltertools (04-25-2013), woodnthings (04-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 AM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikisefiltertools View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for your opinions regarding dust collector cleaning since this is a relatively new arena for my company. We do make a couple of tools for cleaning these collectors BUT do not have as much feedback on there effectiveness as I would like to see from people that use them everyday. I AM NOT SPAMMING HERE.... I truly would like to just hear your opinions about the tools...... Our other tools are selling in 105 countries and doing just fine....

The question is; Do you think using water is an effective way to clean the smaller dust collectors?

If you want to see the tool in action you can go to youtube and search Power Pic Pro or go to our website at; Link removed by Mod

I would like to thank all of you that give me an honest answer.

Thanks
Mike
I have worked in plenty of shops that were well equipped with some fine dust collection systems... Worked in one that sucked the crap up from EVERY single machine in the shop and sent it straight outside via overhead metal ductwork to the dumpster (which had to be emptied every other day). There was NO dust to speak of floating around in that particular shop... The air was 'cleaner' than that in my home.

The paint booth air was pulled through special replaceable filters so as to even remove the crap from THAT air and not be just dumping it into the environment...

The level of 'clean' that you seem to be talking about is not worthwhile for any sort of shop that does more than 'hobby' work in MY opinion.

Water is NOT going to clean overspray from a paintroom filtration device and a dust filter that fine is NOT required for any shop that I can imagine.

You can go buy a good quality K&N filter (paper type filter that you wet with oil to help it catch more crud) for your car and it WILL trap more particles (because of the oil on the filter element) and those filters ARE designed to be cleaned with water and reused over and over and over... But... For woodworking it would be WAY overkill and not needed.

You would perhaps use those sort of filters in a lab environment and NOT in a cabinetshop.

Last edited by rrbrown; 04-23-2013 at 04:37 AM. Reason: removed link
The Following User Says Thank You to OnealWoodworking For This Useful Post:
mikisefiltertools (04-25-2013)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 AM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
i really feel that although you have posted a survey, this is a "stealth" type of spam. You are after all selling a product and getting those here to go top your website to look at them. ....my definition of spam. JMO.

Completly agree...
post #6 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your honesty....

I wanted to thank all of you that did respond and take the poll so far, I am getting a better idea of the bigger picture here

I truly am trying to get some honest answers here..... I do not sell our products on our website and I don't tell you where to buy other than for Filter Flosser which is in the pool & spa arena and in our next webpage update we are taking that feature off the site.....

This really is the only way I can get truthful answers other than getting a booth at some trade show...... I guess I am looking at this like a very targeted focus group with exactly the folks I want to talk to....

It looks like to me that at least so far that larger "shops" this tool would not be effective and that it would really be just for the wood working hobbyist.....

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and should look into the K&N filter scenario as the one gentleman suggested....

I look forward to hearing more opinions.

Thank you
Mike
post #7 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Other dust collector forums

I wanted to add to my last post here. I have been looking at 4-5 other forums that are addressing the cleaning of these systems and there seems to be a lot of opinions on what is correct and what is not.....

I believe that what I am hearing is that these bags can be machine washed..... Is that true?

I also am reading that at least with New Bags that you should follow the "flower" or "powder" pre-treat method as to fill in some of the media and make the unit more efficient. Is that true as well?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 AM

View against_the_grain's Photo Album My Photos
I have heard that a bag gets a "cake" on it that shouldn't be removed as it helps with keeping the dust and small particles contained in the bag.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain View Post
I have heard that a bag gets a "cake" on it that shouldn't be removed as it helps with keeping the dust and small particles contained in the bag.
The cake does improve the filtering of smaller particles - but at the cost of pressure drop which means less airflow, so a loss of performance at the machine.

A typical trade off. Better filtration at the bag vs better collection at the machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
bags vs cannister filters

Quote:
I wanted to add to my last post here. I have been looking at 4-5 other forums that are addressing the cleaning of these systems and there seems to be a lot of opinions on what is correct and what is not.....

I believe that what I am hearing is that these bags can be machine washed..... Is that true?

I also am reading that at least with New Bags that you should follow the "flower" or "powder" pre-treat method as to fill in some of the media and make the unit more efficient. Is that true as well?
Wax on, wax off...... air in, air out.
A DC blower is a turbine that pushes air through the filtering media, so the more surface area the more efficient it can push.
Pushing the air out of the unit creates a vacuum which draws in the chips and dust. Bags have less surface area than filters, AND if they get caked with fine powder, they are less "effective", but more "efficient" in filtering the very fine particles. So, it's a trade off with bags. The most efficient and effective units use canister filters. The more you restrict the air flow out, the less efficient the unit will be. Bags come in 30, 10, and 2 micron as far as I know. Filters come in 1 down to 1/2 micron as far as I know. So by using a canister you will get less of the fines pushed out into the shop. JMO.

Washing a cloth bag filter will do no harm, but washing a canister filter may damage the seals and the filter material if it's not waterproof.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM

View Cliff's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I am looking for your opinions [...] I AM NOT SPAMMING HERE..Mike
I think you are spamming. You already have invested in the product (a stupid one too). Now you are shilling on the internet pretending to ask people for opinions on a product you have already taken to market.

It's a little late for opinions.

What would these prospective opinions do for you? It's too late to refine the product, you already finished the R&D (such as it was) and have put the thing in retailer's inventories.

Or stated another way: It is far too late for opinions. It's time to generate sales and that's what you hope to do.

But now that you opened the bag and the cat is out, so to speak - and you have asked for it:

I think the product is a joke.
Any damn fool can get a length of poly pipe drill a line of holes in it cap one end and affix the other to a hose coupling fitting.
Maybe a couple bucks of crap from home depot total cost.

But then why?
I've tried washing filters with water. Even the cleanstream ones, It wrecks 'em. They are never so good after being soaked as they are just being blown out with an air hose. So your product and the concept are ill considered, poorly executed, and not worth the phosphers on my computer screen to look at it. Worse, your product Destroys people's property with a false promise of cleansing.

Now, maybe instead of taking advantage of this forum and pretending to be a member, you should have contacted the management and purchased ad space, you would have taken the high road, but this kind of play pretend poll disguising the fact of you just shilling is about as close as it is possible to come to theft of services. Maybe it is theft of services.

Why do I say theft of services?
Because this forum costs money to run. It is entirely private property. You do not have a first amendment right to free speech on internet forums and chat rooms ( I know, because this is what I do for a living). ERGO this is a limited purpose forum and the owners can limit it in any way they please.
Plus there is advertising space available for which various retailers have paid good money, and here you are trying to take advantage and get something for free.

I'm surprised the mods haven't yanked your account, but that's their decision to make.

Hey~!!! It's a hobby~!! It's not supposed to make sense.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Dust Collectors vs. Ambient Air Filtration

I really appreciate all of the post for this thread and it has given me some things to think about regarding expanding into dust collection and or if that would be effective for the end user.

I notice that even when shops are using a dust collection system that in many cases an ambient air filtration system is used as well....

I am curious to see if the forum here thinks that this tool would be useful in cleaning those filters? We are becoming popular in the HVAC & HEPA markets, maybe the only use in this woodworking arena would be for those applications instead.....

What say the forum?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode