Cleaning bandsaw table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
Cleaning bandsaw table

I am beginning to work on cleaning up the table on the used bandsaw I bought as well as getting it up and working. I have been talking with Rikon several times and have some parts ordered. Have to replace the fan on the motor as it got damaged, but they don't carry that part. They said to check with Grainger. Grainger needs the motor part which I don't have so another call back to Rikon. Hopefully, they will have the info and get back to me tomorrow.
Back to the cleaning. I put some penetrating oil on and let it sit a couple of hours. Worked on it with a scotch brite pad (generic). It cleaned up some, but will need a lot more work. I think the next step would be to sand with wet dry sandpaper. What grit should I use? I think I have 220 now, but no others. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM

View MattS's Photo Album My Photos
I come from a background of servicing / repairing huge CNC's, so I may be skipping some steps that woodworkers consider normal and go straight to the fast and effective way to clean up a semi-precision surface.

I take an angle grinder with a wire wheel to the surface of table saws / shapers / etc to get all the rust off quickly and easily. If the surface material is of decent quality, this doesn't cause any noteworthy abrasions, but does cause a minor visible pattern of feathering.

Then use acetone to wipe down the surface (this degreases it thoroughly without leaving behind any residues). If your towel/paper towel are leaving behind fluff, you can finish by using a coffee filter to dust it off. Avoid getting acetone in your eye, that is a bad time.

After that, I prefer to apply paste wax, let it dry, then buff it out. There are many great surfacing options other than paste wax, but it is what I like most.

Note - after you get the surface clean with the wire wheel and acetone, brush your hand over it. If there are any protruding imperfections, use a flat stone to work the surface until it is perfectly smooth. I think sandpaper might work for this, but I have only ever used a dressing stone. After that, re-clean with acetone.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2015, 02:09 PM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased an old Delta/Rockwell band saw that had been in a barn for years. It was quite rusty on the table. I used 600 wet/dry sandpaper and WD40 to clean it off. It took a while, (and a lot of elbow grease!) but all the rust came off and it is smooth as glass. I used brake cleaner to clean off the wd40 and applied paste wax. I was very impressed with the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
I had 330 grit wet/dry so used that. Table cleaned up nicely. Cleaned it afterward with mineral spirits and then some cleaner my wife had. Will get some Johnson's paste wax next time we go to town and apply that to the top.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I have bought two used lathes. Both had pretty severe surface rust, but no pitting. I just sprayed the bed with oil to keep the dust down, and sanded them with my ROS. They don't look like a mirror, but are plenty good enough for the intended purpose.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2015, 08:50 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
I am beginning to work on cleaning up the table on the used bandsaw I bought as well as getting it up and working. I have been talking with Rikon several times and have some parts ordered. Have to replace the fan on the motor as it got damaged, but they don't carry that part. They said to check with Grainger. Grainger needs the motor part which I don't have so another call back to Rikon. Hopefully, they will have the info and get back to me tomorrow.
Back to the cleaning. I put some penetrating oil on and let it sit a couple of hours. Worked on it with a scotch brite pad (generic). It cleaned up some, but will need a lot more work. I think the next step would be to sand with wet dry sandpaper. What grit should I use? I think I have 220 now, but no others. Suggestions?
get this rust-off and than T-9 and stop all that work, i have use this and i live in florida and now have no rust for yrs now, you can get this and a lot 's of places sears has it i just copy this link to show what the item looks like http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...FQktaQodAH0PgA
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I've always just used a ROS with a 220 grit disc. Takes the rust up pretty easy and leaves a good surface behind, and works fast and clean, without oil or various other fluids everywhere. Just make sure to have a vacuum hooked to the sander, otherwise it gets kinda dusty

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode