Clamping Irregular Shaped Projects - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Saw Dust Rules
  • 1 Post By Saw Dust Rules

post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
Clamping Irregular Shaped Projects

Thought I'd share a clamping solution I use for irregular shaped projects. I make about 25 flag cases a year for vets and clamping these three sided boxes was always a challenge. I tried the band clamps, adjustable corner clamps and clamps on clamps... but was never satisfied with the outcome because it was difficult to get uniform clamping pressure on the corners, especially the bottom 45 degree corners.

Attached are three photos that show the simple clamping jigs I made and how they attach to the case. Scrap 3/4" plywood with large dowels screwed into notches at each end of the plywood is all there is. A clamp positioned at the center secures the jig to each side of the case with subsequent clamps added at the corners. Keep the corner clamps snug to allow the corners to be adjusted for alignment then tighten to close any gaps. Hope this is useful for your flag case build or any other odd project that requires some creative clamping solution.

A couple notes on flag cases:
- Always seal the inside surfaces that come in contact with the flag so any resins in the wood or stain residue do not discolor the flag over time. I use spray polyuretyhane inside and out.
- Use UV glass to prevent fading of the flag, just be sure to have the UV coated side facing out otherwise it will do no good. I have a local picture frame shop cut the glass from a wood template I provide.
- I use three glazier points to hold the glass in place. Simple and quick to push into position with a putty knife. Once the flag is installed the glass is totally secure.
- I order engraved nameplates on-line. Inexpensive and adds a professional touch.
- If you know someone who has a family member's service flag sitting in a drawer or closet, offer to make them a case. Its a great way to honor their service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	364602  

Attached Images

Saw Dust Rules

In God we trust. All others bring data. - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work! And that's a good solution to your clamping needs. Good tips about the glass and sealing the inside, too.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 7 Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I am curious about the sticker on the right side. Did you have them made up with your company name and logo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 AM

View woodworker56's Photo Album My Photos
Good looking flag case. I have only built a few and I also struggle to get those bottom angles fitted perfect. Do you have a jig or a tip on how to got those perfect?

Steve
Woodworker56
post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Military Medallions

The flag cases I make are free for the families of deceased veterans and first responders, I don't put any business info on them. I do sign and date the back of the case along with the type of wood and UV glass.

The decals are actually military medallions (coins) for the specific military branch the vet served under or police or fire emblem (see photo). I used to buy these from Northwest Territorial Mint but they are out of business; I'm hoping they start back up because they made some nice medallions. They are available on-line from many other sources and also Amazon, my current source. They usually cost between $6 - 9 depending on the supplier. I use a forester bit to create a recess then epoxy the medallion in place.

I order the engraved nameplates on-line from Rossi Engraving. Great price, lots of options as far as size, material, font... and easy to order. I used to have them made locally at a trophy shop but wasn't happy with the price or quality.

Hope you find this useful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Medallions.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	364634  

Name:	Installed Medallion.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	364636  

Name:	Nameplate.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	364638  

Tool Agnostic likes this.

Saw Dust Rules

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Cutting Acute Angles

I agree, cutting those acute (22.5 degree) angles is a challenge. I've tried just about every option there is and the best method I now use is to stand them up on a tenoning jig and tilt the blade to 22.5 degrees (see photos). I place a piece of scrap wood between the metal jig and case so the blade will clear the metal jig. I also raise the case stock up off the saw table so it slides easy using a wooden shim, just be sure to do this when cutting all angles in the jig. I found this method described in Woodworkers Journal, August 2006 edition and have used it faithfully since. I've made over 140 cases using the tenoning jig and this is the best method I've found. It might be somewhere in YouTube land but I haven't looked. Making a fixed position (90 degree) tenoning jig is pretty straightforward if you don't have one or don't want to buy one.

Keep in mind, for the corners to mate up correctly it is critical that the length of the sides and the miter angles be spot on. To get there the stock must first be flat, straight and square to the ends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tenon Jig 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	364642  

Name:	Tenon Jig 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	364644  

Saw Dust Rules

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #7 of 7 Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 PM

View woodworker56's Photo Album My Photos
Good photos. I have a couple flags waiting for the cases now.. It looks like I need to make the jig and get it done.

Thanks!

Steve
Woodworker56

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode