Civic Number - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

View BadAboutTulsa's Photo Album My Photos
Civic Number

Hey guys im new here so forgive me if this isnt the place to ask but here it goes, im puting a new civic number on the front of my house and i took the old board with it off, it appears that the previous owner drilled a hole in the concrete around the bricks and wedged normal screws in backwards and stuffed a bunch of small wood material and specks to keep it in there good, i tryed getting them out with channel locks and needle nose pliers with no luck, why they didnt just use wedge anchors is beyond me but any thoughts on how i could get these screws out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAboutTulsa View Post
Hey guys im new here so forgive me if this isnt the place to ask but here it goes, im puting a new civic number on the front of my house and i took the old board with it off, it appears that the previous owner drilled a hole in the concrete around the bricks and wedged normal screws in backwards and stuffed a bunch of small wood material and specks to keep it in there good, i tryed getting them out with channel locks and needle nose pliers with no luck, why they didnt just use wedge anchors is beyond me but any thoughts on how i could get these screws out?
Hard to visualize, got a pic?

Where are you located?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 12:21 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
You don't have to remove the screws if you're replacing the board with a new board. Just break them off at the face of the wall and cover them with the new board.

Or cut them off with a hacksaw. Or take a few whacks at them with a hammer--screws are brittle as compared to nails.

Or chisel away the mortar around the screws and jimmy them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 05:18 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
"...in backwards..."

this probably means the heads - at the back of the hole - have chiseled into the mortar. alternately if the backward screws were long enough, the head could be on the inside of the mortar joint...

either way, seems you'll need to dig out any and all 'filler' material so the screws can move toward the center enough to disengage the head from the mortar (groove.) and - just to keep it interesting.... - depending on diameters, one screw may have to come out "first" as its head is "in front" of the others and 'pinning' the other(s) to the side....

are you familiar with Mythbusters? their approach was "If at first.... then more C4!"
post #5 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
You don't have to remove the screws if you're replacing the board with a new board. Just break them off at the face of the wall and cover them with the new board.

Or cut them off with a hacksaw. Or take a few whacks at them with a hammer--screws are brittle as compared to nails.

Or chisel away the mortar around the screws and jimmy them out.
Agree. Just make new holes and use proper anchors.

George

PS Hever heard of a "civic number." Is that the same as a house number or street number?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 05:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
screws or bolts?

It wouldn't make much sense to put screws in and wedge them in with wood bits... how would they then get screwed into the wood? If the mortar was wet and they act like larger headed anchors until the mortar setup, that would make some sense.

Proper concrete anchors either the drive in type, Tapcons, or the lead taper type would be your best method of securing a new board:
https://www.concretefasteners.com/an...w/pricing.aspx

As far as removing the original anchors, knock them sideways and break them off, or drive them further into the mortar.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode