Christmas Ornaments for Soldiers!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

View Tinker's Photo Album My Photos
Christmas Ornaments for Soldiers!!

Hi fellow Woodworkers,
I am looking for some help. Our family has a charity called "Project Rudolph" which began 2 years ago as my son's Eagle Scout project. Various grade school children decorated brown paper lunch bags and wrote letters to "Dear servicemember". In each bag was placed two children's letters, a letter from an adult as well as a candy cane some American and German candies and an 0rnament. These bags were then sent to our daughter who lives just outside Ramstein AFB, and Landstuhle Regional Medical Center in Germany. There, they were handed out to service members going through Ramstien during the Christmas holidays. Our son flew over to help assemble and hand out the bags. About 1500 bags were handed out at the AirForce base as well as to the Hospital at Landstuhle, to the Fisher house, and the Keebler Recovery Barracks. They also sent about 250 bags to Iraq and Kuwait. This continued the 2nd year and we were able to deliver about 4500 bags to Germany, Iraq, and Kuwait. My daughter has upped the anty to 7000 bags this year!

We found that the most popular of the ornaments were the ones I cut out of 1/4" plywood and then painted and decorated.They fit easily into their ACU pockets and were quite durable. This is where I need your help. We are hoping to have all "Hand Made" ornaments this year, which means we need volunteers to help cut them out so they can be sent to Germany and added to the decorated bags. We also need all the letters we can get !! 22,000 of them!!!!

If you can help us , please let us know. "Project Rudolph" is part of "Project TLC " and is a non-pfrofit 501 (c) (3) charity which is sanctioned by "America Supports You". You can read more about Project Rudolph at www.projectrudolph.homestead.com. When there, take a minute and read the responses in the "Guest Book" from the people who either helped with the project, or were recipients of the Gift bags.

This is a great project for crafters of all kinds to be involved in, as well as church groups, scout groups, schools,and such. Please help spread some Christmas cheer to our service men and women this Christmas!!

We look forward to hearing from you.
Ray & Cheri Archibald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Help with Ornaments for our Service Menbers

I see that we have had quite a few lookers but no takers yet. So far thru local schools' church groups and thru some Scrollsaw Forums' we have collected about 2000 ornaments, but we still need 5500 more to reach our goal of 7500 ornaments to be hand delivered in Germany (3000), and sent to Iraq, Kuwait, and Afganistan. Our Daughter in Germany whp is the head of this Charity said that she has been getting requests from several units downrange for the Christmas gift bags to be sent to their units this year. This can only happen if we can get enough people to help write letters to (Dear Servicemember), make or purchase sturdy ornaments that can be carried in a uniform pocket without having to worry about breaking it (wood, metal, cloth, paper ect.), decorate brown paper lunch bags, purchase individuel candy pieces, and money for shipping. With your help we can do this. Please us if you can help in any way. We can send a pdf file that has lots of information on these charitys. You can also check out this site www.projectrudolph.homestead.com for information on whet we have been doing.
Thanks Ray & Cheri
post #3 of 3 Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

If you are interested The Scroll Saw Magazine wrote an article on Project Rudolph in their Holiday Issue. So Far we have received Ornaments fron people in 22 different states ans 8 countries. For anyone who would like to know more about Project Rudolph and how they can help us help brighten up a Servicemember's Christmas email me and I can send out a PDF file with information on how you can help.

Ray & Cheri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode